Which PMS do you use and why?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
Well we've been lurking around the site here for the past few months; finally joined a couple of weeks ago; trying to soak up everything we can, and not get in the way in the process. The past few days I've been reading everything I can find in the forums on guest / property management and reservation systems. From what I can tell the majority of you use one of four products, RezOvations, Webervations, SuperInn and Reservation Nexus, with a sprinkling of a few using one of the less well known apps. There's plenty of post about different wish lists, and post talking about switching from one product to another. What I haven't been able to find a lot of is why you use the system that you use, or what caused you to decide one product wasn't right for you and caused you to switch from one to another.
The biggest thing that I've acomplished is making my self a little crazy and sitting back more confused than I was when I started. Wading through all the options is quite a task and I finally had to put it all in a spreadsheet so I could make sense of it.
In our case, the B&B we are purchseing is a ten room property and for a reservation / GMS package it is going to cost from Webervations 1.0 at $13.99 a month all the way up to Reservations Nexus Classic with Auto Pilot coming in at $165.00 per month.
Coming from a restaurant and night club atmosphere I was more than a little surprised to see some of the pricing schedules that I have. For example, paying $649 setup to get GDS with RezOvations and then a $250.00 a year maintenance charge. Ok, I see the setup and maintenance charges as part ODB and I have no issue with that, but on top of that $15.50 per reservation and then another approx 30% going to one of the oneline bookings sites such as BandB, Hotels.com etc. I mean thats a wopping $45 fees on a $100.00 room. I guess that's normal in the lodging biz, but WOW! To me that's kinda like paying for a newspaper ad for your night club and then haveing to pay them money for each one of their readers that came in and on top of that paying them 30% for each drink that reader drank while there. Just seems like your being nickeled and dimed to death.
Anyway, before I degress any farther, We've pretty much narrowed it down between Webervations, SuperInn or RezOvations GT. however, I'd like to hear what system you are using, and why it is a fit for you.
Thank you in advance for reading and replying.

Cheapest and easiest is Webervations. I used it for years. However 2 folks recently switched to a new system that they seem to really like. Sorry I can't remember the name...but I am sure one of them will tell you. They like it better than Webervations and I think it is about the same cost.

Cheapest and easiest is Webervations. I used it for years. However 2 folks recently switched to a new system that they seem to really like. Sorry I can't remember the name...but I am sure one of them will tell you. They like it better than Webervations and I think it is about the same cost..
Reservation Key....but I'm not sure if it's a fully integrated guest management software system or just an availability/reservation system. Does it track all the accounting reports, taxes, etc??

welcome.gif

I so understand your confusion of all this. You must remember that not ALL of these different systems compare with each other. And the fact that things like the 30% online booking through hotels.com etc. is seperate - this is an option program that many, many do not partake in. I am not sure which program charges the $15+ per booking. And not all are guest managment systems, many are just online booking systems, some with a few added features while others are full fledged booking and guest management systems.
Setting up a spreadsheet should be helpful hopefully to help you decide what options you really need (or want), then eliminate the systems that do not offer that option.
Now to answer the question you asked: I use Webervations! - Why? Originally it was because I wanted an online booking system at a reasonable cost - It was the most used/talked about by my peers. It does what I need it to do at a cost that I find to be reasonable. Many of the online b&b directories will allow it as part of my listing, allowing for someone to book directly with me without having to go to my site. (NOTE: not that I do not want them to go to my site, it is for their convenience - I want them to be able to book with me and want to provide every opportunity for them to do so.)
I have looked at the one that JB uses (hope she comes on here to provide info) and do like it a heck of a lot. My only hesitation is the booking on the other directories. (which could be an option for some of them too)

I switched from SuperInn to RezovationGT. For me with three rooms, the cost is nearly the same. Mainly I switched because it offered a much simpler yet more powerful guest management and payment solution. SuperInn was more tedious to use. ...more clicks...more waiting. More steps to processing credit cards (since then they have added a possible cc processing option).
RezovationGT has the option of dispalying rooms on the GDS and selling them through bedandbreakfast.com but I do not use those features, so they do not cost me anything extra. I like RezovationGT and am glad I made the switch. It is more powerful and easier to use than SuperInn. The only nod to SuperInn is if you absolutely must have access to your guest data from anywhere on the internet. (there are options to be able to do this with RezoGT too but they are not quite the same)
Knowing the number of clicks it takes to do things in SuperINN (there is a post on here somewhere where I actually compared the number of clicks) I would definitely suggest RezovationGT for a 10 room property. The payment and management options would just save a lot of extra time / effort.

We had Webervations and tried switching to the RezovationGT Online version but it was just too difficult to use (we have 9 rooms). Webervations does everything we need it to and is just simpler for me to use.

We use SuperInn and are satisfied with it... we do not use the cc processing part.

We're switching to Rezovation GT in the fall from Superinn. We run a 12 room property with dining and SuperInn, as mentioned, simply takes too many clicks to perform basic routines. Plus, without integrated quickbooks functionality or CC processing, we end up entering data twice or three times over. Of course, your ultimate decision will be driven by your property size, budget...and how late at night you want to stay up doing book-keepimg!

We are using Webervations, and I'm not happy with them as they are suddenly not sending the credit card info to me since they are working on a security matter - now for about a week.
For guest info management we are using an old system that is no longer for sale that is based on an acess program. So when we get busier I'll also need to make a decision.
Is anyone out there using http://resnexus.com/ ? I would dearly love to avoid ResOvation and get away from the gorilla.
RIki

We are using Webervations, and I'm not happy with them as they are suddenly not sending the credit card info to me since they are working on a security matter - now for about a week.
For guest info management we are using an old system that is no longer for sale that is based on an acess program. So when we get busier I'll also need to make a decision.
Is anyone out there using http://resnexus.com/ ? I would dearly love to avoid ResOvation and get away from the gorilla.
RIki.
Lots of VA inns have switched to RezNexus. Guess they were at the conference and impressed folks. A number of my clients have switched and they all love them. I worked with them early on in the developement process and had nothing but good things to say about them. They are however...much more costly than Webervations.

RIki.
Lots of VA inns have switched to RezNexus. Guess they were at the conference and impressed folks. A number of my clients have switched and they all love them. I worked with them early on in the developement process and had nothing but good things to say about them. They are however...much more costly than Webervations.
catlady said:
Yes they are more costly but have both booking and guest management, I think. And they can make the system work for the B&B and the wine tours together, which is a great bonus for me. It's just a matter of how soon to switch. I need to go look at it again. I found their layout easier on my eyes too.
They and ResOvation were at the conference, and when we spoke with them they sat down and showed me how they could make it work. The lady at the ResOvation booth could not have been less interested or helpful in my question about how I could use it for both companies. That gave me concern as to support.
Great to see that others like them.
RIki

RIki.
catlady said:
Yes they are more costly but have both booking and guest management, I think. And they can make the system work for the B&B and the wine tours together, which is a great bonus for me. It's just a matter of how soon to switch. I need to go look at it again. I found their layout easier on my eyes too.
They and ResOvation were at the conference, and when we spoke with them they sat down and showed me how they could make it work. The lady at the ResOvation booth could not have been less interested or helpful in my question about how I could use it for both companies. That gave me concern as to support.
RIki
will directories like bbonline be able to pull from your online reservations like they do now with webervations? That's one of my concerns when I switch over.
Does anyone know? Joey, are you on bbonline with your reservation key?

RIki.
catlady said:
RIki
Of course I can't remember the fellow's name now :-( But they have always been right on anytime I or one of my clients have a question of problem. I have always been impressed by their customer service. For some reason $60 a month comes to my mind..but that could be wrong.

RIki.
catlady said:
RIki
will directories like bbonline be able to pull from your online reservations like they do now with webervations? That's one of my concerns when I switch over.
Sorry..right now..that's a BiG NO! They have a deal with Webervations....maybe you all could encourage them to do the same with others..though it may cost you more if they do it:-(

No we don't have online avail on any of our directories now. I never had bookings from them before anyway. As I mentioned to this bloke who was here the other day, our goal is to get them to OUR WEBSITE to book. I want them on my turf. :)

Just make sure if you do switch, that you go in and turn off all those links for online or avail checks on those directories or they will get a broken link. Sometimes we forget we have so many irons in the fire!

RIki.
catlady said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
This is a big reason why we are with Webervations and one reason I am hesitant to change. If I leave the directories, I will be more open to a move.
It is strange but after 5+ years having this on bbonline and b&b.com I am just now starting to have bookings directly through their sites. I for one have no problems with them booking straight from a directory... if they are comfortable and are ready to book, bring it on!!!! One less click for them to get the job done as well!!!!

This is the thing I have to do this month is setup Superinn on the site. This thread is making me question my decision. 5 room BnB.

This is the thing I have to do this month is setup Superinn on the site. This thread is making me question my decision. 5 room BnB..
toddburme said:
This is the thing I have to do this month is setup Superinn on the site. This thread is making me question my decision. 5 room BnB.
How are you questioning your decision?

Back