White on the bed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
We've all seen hotel bedspreads like the one below (and not commenting on the curtains that don't match it).
I was just watching an episode of Hotel Impossible where he was fussing about this kind of bedspread because you can't see if it's clean or not. In this particular episode, though, he folded the bedspread back to show its white underside, with a big yellow pee stain.
He said he will never accept anything on a bed that's not white, because that's the only way guests can feel sure it's clean. He said 60% of guests will not return to a place if they feel it's not clean. Yes, white things show dirt easier, and it's more trouble to keep them white. But that's the whole point. If it looks like in the photo below, guests know you don't have to keep it clean because it's hard to see dirt on it, and that worries them. It worries me.
clarionlvbadclash.JPG

When I'm a guest - If there's a bedspread like that in the room, it's the first thing that comes off the bed and gets folded up and put on a chair.

When I'm a guest - If there's a bedspread like that in the room, it's the first thing that comes off the bed and gets folded up and put on a chair..
Same here Samster. Except I'm not so nice....it ends up on the floor. Those bedspreads are gross. Even if they're clean, they feel terrible.

Not all of my bedding is 100% white and some of it is reversible but I definitely use the 'check the back' test on the ones that are white on the back. It's fast and it catches stuff I may have missed on the top. The reason I don't have 100% white? They would need to be changed everyday because of suitcases being thrown on them.
A lot of hotels have gone to all white. And they supposedly change the duvet covers everyday. There's something that slows you down immensely so I doubt it actually happens.

When I'm a guest - If there's a bedspread like that in the room, it's the first thing that comes off the bed and gets folded up and put on a chair..
So many people have seen those hotel shows that I'm finding newly washed bedding crumpled up on the floor. No one believes that I wash this stuff regularly.

Not all of my bedding is 100% white and some of it is reversible but I definitely use the 'check the back' test on the ones that are white on the back. It's fast and it catches stuff I may have missed on the top. The reason I don't have 100% white? They would need to be changed everyday because of suitcases being thrown on them.
A lot of hotels have gone to all white. And they supposedly change the duvet covers everyday. There's something that slows you down immensely so I doubt it actually happens..
We have whole white with a throw over the end - but I don't have to wash or iron them as I use a linen and laundry service who wash, iron and provide the linen.
If I had to do my own , not sure what I would do as at least with white you can bleach it.
We don't change the duvet covers every day but we do for every guest doesn't take long if you have the knack to it.

Same here Samster. Except I'm not so nice....it ends up on the floor. Those bedspreads are gross. Even if they're clean, they feel terrible.
We use all white. Plus we cannot use bleach! As we are septic tank. Do people care that it is white NO! Are they carefull NO. But they can Never wonder if it is clean. I also hand iron all my bed linen. I use duvet covers and a bottom sheet. Plus 4 pillows cases. My duvet covers are a pain, some times to Iron. as it has an over hang .I have 2 single duvets on a Queen size bed. Some times if I don't get it out of the dryer soon. Then I am stuck ironing it for a longer time .As it is a polly cotton blend.....My rugs are also a very light colour and they can easly see if it is clean or dirty. Another pet peave of mine. Hotels and dirty rugs gross!

A lot of hotels have gone to all white. And they supposedly change the duvet covers everyday. There's something that slows you down immensely so I doubt it actually happens..
We have whole white with a throw over the end - but I don't have to wash or iron them as I use a linen and laundry service who wash, iron and provide the linen.
If I had to do my own , not sure what I would do as at least with white you can bleach it.
We don't change the duvet covers every day but we do for every guest doesn't take long if you have the knack to it.
The hotel I worked at rarely washed the duvet covers. They didn't want to waste their money on the wash, and on the labour. In a one year period, I only remember them being washed twice. The duvet covers weren't white, they were a yellow pattern colour.

We use all white. Plus we cannot use bleach! As we are septic tank. Do people care that it is white NO! Are they carefull NO. But they can Never wonder if it is clean. I also hand iron all my bed linen. I use duvet covers and a bottom sheet. Plus 4 pillows cases. My duvet covers are a pain, some times to Iron. as it has an over hang .I have 2 single duvets on a Queen size bed. Some times if I don't get it out of the dryer soon. Then I am stuck ironing it for a longer time .As it is a polly cotton blend.....My rugs are also a very light colour and they can easly see if it is clean or dirty. Another pet peave of mine. Hotels and dirty rugs gross!
We're the same as you flower. Duvet cover, bottom sheet and 4 pillow cases all white. Pima cotton is easy to iron after a few washes if it's 300+ TC.
We have coloured cushions and throws on the beds just to bring the room together.

Here it's bottom sheet, top sheet, and duvet in a cover. The top sheet is simply because we're at the same latitude as southern Spain here, and there are times (like half the year) when it's warm out (to put it mildly) and you need to throw off the duvet but keep the single top sheet for a comfortable night's sleep. (This includes the hope that the guests don't run the air conditioning on max at night...hope...ha ha.)
All white with a colored throw on the foot of the bed for the luggage. Fingers crossed.

Here it's bottom sheet, top sheet, and duvet in a cover. The top sheet is simply because we're at the same latitude as southern Spain here, and there are times (like half the year) when it's warm out (to put it mildly) and you need to throw off the duvet but keep the single top sheet for a comfortable night's sleep. (This includes the hope that the guests don't run the air conditioning on max at night...hope...ha ha.)
All white with a colored throw on the foot of the bed for the luggage. Fingers crossed..
Same latitude as Bordeaux here. Where's my vineyard?

I love the white, I used colorful quilts at the foot of each bed. Where I stayed in Bar Harbor was all white and I loved it. I'll try to post a pic.

Back