White, square plates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
I'm looking to change up the whole 'woodsy' theme the PO's left us with and I really like the square, white dining plates. I use them already for starters but found those 'appetizer' plates randomly.
If I'm going to replace ironstone that costs $30/plate, I need something that holds up to repeated washing. Any ideas where to get good, solid, square white serving plates?

You might check into Homer Laughlin Pottery, they make a whole array of china for hotel use etc. http://www.hlchina.com/

the only thing I would say is if you are changing them anyway run your fingernail accross the plate in the shop if it leaves a mark then the glaze is too soft. We bought some cheap white plates from Walmart here and they were marked up in about 24 hours would never make the same mistake again. Also I wouldn't buy anything with a raised pattern as they are a jigger to get clean things get stuck in the design.

Hi! I'm a long time lurker (dreaming of running a B&B) and I can't believe I finally have something useful to contribute! I've had these square dinner plates from CB2 for three years and they are perfect! They are huge and they take up a lot of room in the dishwasher though. I also have the dessert plates and the soup bowls. The clean design really makes the food *POP* :)

Hi! I'm a long time lurker (dreaming of running a B&B) and I can't believe I finally have something useful to contribute! I've had these square dinner plates from CB2 for three years and they are perfect! They are huge and they take up a lot of room in the dishwasher though. I also have the dessert plates and the soup bowls. The clean design really makes the food *POP* :).
Welcome! So glad you chimed in.
welcome.gif

I am going to be the one negatory on this thread. Sorry in advance. But the square plates are like - way old now, they were popular ten years ago. I am just bringing this up, as I said, sorry. I would be careful which shape I chose if I went contemporary. A square plate are what every major burger chain has been using for donkey yonks. If I reinvented the look at my B&B I would go for something newer or older (vintage) to give it a unique look.

I am going to be the one negatory on this thread. Sorry in advance. But the square plates are like - way old now, they were popular ten years ago. I am just bringing this up, as I said, sorry. I would be careful which shape I chose if I went contemporary. A square plate are what every major burger chain has been using for donkey yonks. If I reinvented the look at my B&B I would go for something newer or older (vintage) to give it a unique look..
By the time I get around to getting them they will be vintage!
I would totally go with the mismatched vintage look. Love how that looks. I just like how the food looks on the white plates.

I am going to be the one negatory on this thread. Sorry in advance. But the square plates are like - way old now, they were popular ten years ago. I am just bringing this up, as I said, sorry. I would be careful which shape I chose if I went contemporary. A square plate are what every major burger chain has been using for donkey yonks. If I reinvented the look at my B&B I would go for something newer or older (vintage) to give it a unique look..
I would totally go with the mismatched vintage look. Love how that looks. I just like how the food looks on the white plates.
Alibi Ike said:
I just like how the food looks on the white plates.
or not. That is also the thing with big white squares.

Alibi Ike said:
Better than the gray-blue plates I have now.

Alibi Ike said:
Better than the gray-blue plates I have now.
My favorite type of plates for B&Bs that have a feel like yours (not formal or frou-frou, that is), are Fiestaware. I love the look of all the colors.
regular_smile.gif

Hi! I'm a long time lurker (dreaming of running a B&B) and I can't believe I finally have something useful to contribute! I've had these square dinner plates from CB2 for three years and they are perfect! They are huge and they take up a lot of room in the dishwasher though. I also have the dessert plates and the soup bowls. The clean design really makes the food *POP* :).
I have the large platter.....did try a couple of the dinner plates.....heavy.......fine for me, not others in the house......some how they systematicaly wore broken...

We found ours at C&B. They're white and square and are holding up nicely. Unfortunately, I don't see them on the C&B website, so I hope they haven't discontinued the line.
Be careful not to get anything too large or it will make your breakfast offering look miniscule. I full smaller plate looks better than a nearly empty large one.

Back