Who all does this w/kiddos at home?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innovermyhead

Reaction score
We still have boys at home and will for awhile. I would love to hear from anyone who does this "job" with a family at home. It seems that it's much more common to have an empty nest. Our decision is not completely made we will be looking at an actual property soon. It does have some pluses that I think will make it easier on family life. It consists of 10 cabins and has a separate owners home (but small and needs work - we'll have to see). They do not offer breakfast which sounds a lot easier. But, what is it like having kids & guests who all would like/demand your time and attention - possible or miserable? We need to make a living so this won't be a hobby. Need to do justice to the kids (obviously) and the business...
So, any advice appreciated. Thanks!

We got into this business after our daughter had graduated college and was off on her own, we thought.....Nope, she came back while she seached for where she would get her Masters degree. She was here for almost a year and oh boy, it got complicated.
Your guests are going to be demanding and to be successful, we think you need to be able to attend to those demands. Your children are going to be equally or more demanding. Who will get your immediate attention?
The whole business/family balancing act is very dicey in this business...we are struggling a bit...I don't know the answer, just throwing out some food for thought.

We got into this business after our daughter had graduated college and was off on her own, we thought.....Nope, she came back while she seached for where she would get her Masters degree. She was here for almost a year and oh boy, it got complicated.
Your guests are going to be demanding and to be successful, we think you need to be able to attend to those demands. Your children are going to be equally or more demanding. Who will get your immediate attention?
The whole business/family balancing act is very dicey in this business...we are struggling a bit...I don't know the answer, just throwing out some food for thought..
This is an interesting comment about how this biz can affect our grown kids that come home to roost (even if it's just for awhile). Thanks, Rrh!

Thank you for the honest commentary. I guess we'll continue mulling it over - hate to short change the kids - not implying that anyone out there is just wondering how well I can juggle it. I like to think I can do it but don't want to gloss over the realities.

We have children at home - much younger than JB's. Ours are 7, 5, and 3. Much of our experience echoes JB's. But a few things are a little different.
Oops - my disclosure - we have been in our property for 10 months now, having our first guests 9ish months ago...So, I'm NOT the most experience innkeeper on the block.
We have traveled, with our children in tow, since our oldest was about 5-6 weeks old. Because of this, they understand a lot of things other kids would not. They KNOW if they raise too much Cain in a hotel, we will have to leave, so that seems to translate to them that they need to be quiet when guests are in the house (as a matter of being considerate). They are used to interacting with adults, and are accustomed to many situations (such as formal dining) that other children aren't. At the same time, these children are really annoyed with me that I will not let them randomly dig holes in my lawn. Some things they understand, some they don't.
Strangers - this is proving to be a continuing area of education and vigilance with my children. Most of our guests have never even encountered our children (conflicting schedules of arrival and bed or dinner time), but there have been guests who appeared to want to interact with our children beyond my comfort level. At the same time, I am hoping that they will learn from us how to make others feel comfortable and welcome. I just make sure our children are NEVER around guests without myself (or DH) present.
The guest vs family time/priority is a really mixed bag for me. I appreciate the fact that because I may have "open" hours in the middle of the day, I can give time to my children I might not be able to other wise. But...I have learned the hard way I cannot just get up "in time" to make a guest breakfast, I must get up at least a half hour earlier, to allow for a potential interruption from a child who rises before I expect him to. And, there are days when my boys play WAY too many video games and watch WAY too many cartoons. These days make me feel really bad...On top of that, I never feel either the BnB or the family are getting my full impact - I should be re-doing that webpage, I should be harrying encouraging my 5yo with his reading, I should be checking the analytics, I should be taking new pics, I should be ironing DH's shirts (well, maybe not that one)...
wink_smile.gif
My DH is very, very helpful, but he also works a FT job outside the BnB, so the bulk of it falls on me, especially during the week. And sometimes, well, things just don't get done. I find I have a great deal of frustration because I *know* there are things I could do - theoretically - to increase business, but the limit of 24 hours in a day, and the immediacy of cleaning, laundry, cooking, phone calls, emails, children, oh, and SLEEP - keep getting in my way!
As JB said - guest breakfasts come first. In fact, I have on occasion been a little ashamed at what I make for guests as opposed to what I offer my children and husband. In fact, it has become quite common for the children to walk into the kitchen, look at what I'm preparing, and ask, "Is that for guests?"
sad_smile.gif
OTOH, I am of the mind I'd rather have too much on hand than have a guest leave hungry, so the children (and DH if he's around) often have a very, very nice lunch on those days.
But: I am learning things about my children I never anticipated. When flipping a room, I will allow the children to come into the guest area with me, and frankly, I have been amazed at how well my 5yo can clean - and with enthusiasm (must be all the practice he puts into making things dirty). My 3yo is a great little gopher. Our 7yo spends his time making things he wants guests to buy. He has told me he intends to run a gift shop. (I am holding him off on this plan for the time being.) Most importantly, they enjoy working on projects together with us (me and DH). Yay.
teeth_smile.gif

I don't want to mislead you - it's hard. Some days, really HARD. But it's also very rewarding and (usually) enjoyable.

We have children at home - much younger than JB's. Ours are 7, 5, and 3. Much of our experience echoes JB's. But a few things are a little different.
Oops - my disclosure - we have been in our property for 10 months now, having our first guests 9ish months ago...So, I'm NOT the most experience innkeeper on the block.
We have traveled, with our children in tow, since our oldest was about 5-6 weeks old. Because of this, they understand a lot of things other kids would not. They KNOW if they raise too much Cain in a hotel, we will have to leave, so that seems to translate to them that they need to be quiet when guests are in the house (as a matter of being considerate). They are used to interacting with adults, and are accustomed to many situations (such as formal dining) that other children aren't. At the same time, these children are really annoyed with me that I will not let them randomly dig holes in my lawn. Some things they understand, some they don't.
Strangers - this is proving to be a continuing area of education and vigilance with my children. Most of our guests have never even encountered our children (conflicting schedules of arrival and bed or dinner time), but there have been guests who appeared to want to interact with our children beyond my comfort level. At the same time, I am hoping that they will learn from us how to make others feel comfortable and welcome. I just make sure our children are NEVER around guests without myself (or DH) present.
The guest vs family time/priority is a really mixed bag for me. I appreciate the fact that because I may have "open" hours in the middle of the day, I can give time to my children I might not be able to other wise. But...I have learned the hard way I cannot just get up "in time" to make a guest breakfast, I must get up at least a half hour earlier, to allow for a potential interruption from a child who rises before I expect him to. And, there are days when my boys play WAY too many video games and watch WAY too many cartoons. These days make me feel really bad...On top of that, I never feel either the BnB or the family are getting my full impact - I should be re-doing that webpage, I should be harrying encouraging my 5yo with his reading, I should be checking the analytics, I should be taking new pics, I should be ironing DH's shirts (well, maybe not that one)...
wink_smile.gif
My DH is very, very helpful, but he also works a FT job outside the BnB, so the bulk of it falls on me, especially during the week. And sometimes, well, things just don't get done. I find I have a great deal of frustration because I *know* there are things I could do - theoretically - to increase business, but the limit of 24 hours in a day, and the immediacy of cleaning, laundry, cooking, phone calls, emails, children, oh, and SLEEP - keep getting in my way!
As JB said - guest breakfasts come first. In fact, I have on occasion been a little ashamed at what I make for guests as opposed to what I offer my children and husband. In fact, it has become quite common for the children to walk into the kitchen, look at what I'm preparing, and ask, "Is that for guests?"
sad_smile.gif
OTOH, I am of the mind I'd rather have too much on hand than have a guest leave hungry, so the children (and DH if he's around) often have a very, very nice lunch on those days.
But: I am learning things about my children I never anticipated. When flipping a room, I will allow the children to come into the guest area with me, and frankly, I have been amazed at how well my 5yo can clean - and with enthusiasm (must be all the practice he puts into making things dirty). My 3yo is a great little gopher. Our 7yo spends his time making things he wants guests to buy. He has told me he intends to run a gift shop. (I am holding him off on this plan for the time being.) Most importantly, they enjoy working on projects together with us (me and DH). Yay.
teeth_smile.gif

I don't want to mislead you - it's hard. Some days, really HARD. But it's also very rewarding and (usually) enjoyable..
Can you clarify for the aspirings out there - How many rooms do you have? What is your occupancy (not specifically or anything but generally)? Are you busiest on the weekends or weekdays ?
This is important to know when you look at the mix. It might be easier to juggle a place that's smaller, is only busy when you have the help of your dh, and is overall not that busy (since you opened not too long ago). JB also has a dh who works full-time outside the B&B and has 6 rooms, one in a separate cottage, and the B&B has been in operation for a good number of years.
All factors to consider if someone can handle a B&B biz with children. :)

I do it.
I have 6 y.o. twin boys (the ds6x2). My husband decided to move to Maine last May, so it's just me and them. If it had been last year I couldn't have done it, but at 6 (almost 7) they are a lot more self-sufficient... we have the famliy room in the basement set up with no cable for the TV, but lots of videos, dvds, game cube, and school computers, so they can disappear for far too long. (I fear I'm raising trolls...)
I opened my business b/c I was looking for a way to educate my kids in a business, any business. To teach them the value of work. Well, a B&B certainly includes lots of work!
I homeschool (well, technically it's something called Public School at Home) so I don't have to worry about getting them up, dressed, and fed by 8, or picking them up when guests are expected.
I have to save them sausage or they threaten to go out and ask the guests to save them some.
Some days they are very helpful, many days they moan and groan and I don't make them help at all. But they know to how to get money for the Fair... by pitching in! And they know that money comes from work. And they are able to greet people from all over. We've had guests bring them gifts, or leave them tips. And when guests have kids... well, then the boys are happy to play host and make the kids feel right at home, so everyone has a great time.
Oh, forgot to say. We have four guest rooms. The basement is our (very trashed) personal space and our bedrooms are on the second floor. The kids know they have to be quiet when I'm on the phone, and are often told to keep it down... we have guests in the house. If they have friends over it's like JB says... mostly when we don't have guests, and mostly downstairs in the basement.
Easy? Nope. Worth it? Absolutely!!!
=)
Kk.

Samster said:
Can you clarify for the aspirings out there - How many rooms do you have? What is your occupancy (not specifically or anything but generally)? Are you busiest on the weekends or weekdays ?
VERY important points, Samster. We have 4 guest rooms. Right now, we are hovering below 25% occupancy, in the times we make available. We do not take bookings on Monday or Tuesdays, except in very special circumstances. We do not take any bookings with less than 48 hours notice (this is mainly because we share a car and the closest grocery store is an hour trip...but we're supposed to get a grocery store of our own this fall - yay!). We are busiest Thursday through Saturday nights. FWIW, we would have a higher occ rate, but I have turned away guests such as the 3AM calls, the walk-in wannabees, and the group who wanted to max out my rooms, daybeds, AND sleepp on my living room floor. (It still makes me smile when they asked if they could have "the rest" of their group "just sleep on the living room floor." "No, we live here.")
Our BnB could be a great deal more than it is, but it comes back to the fact that a person can only juggle so many balls at a time. I have recently taken to comforting myself with the thought that we came upon this property three years into a five year plan...so I'm really two years ahead of myself...right?
JB, thanks for the support. I know sometimes people wonder about the way our kids are being raised, but I figure they're happy, healthy, and eager, and those are good signs.
KK - I know you were largely responsible for your place before your husband lost his factory job, but I'm still in awe that you're doing it all as a single parent.

If it helps I can speak as a B&B child LOL as I was brought up by my mum and godmother who jointly ran a B&B. if it helps I was fine and enjoyed it. Was extra pocket money for helping out and spent a lot of time running round in absolute chaoes as neither of them had much of a clue. The only thing I would say is try and have a decent amount of family space that lodge cabin arrangement you mentioned sounds Ideal as you allow the kids and guests have as much access to each other as you would like. I would also point out I liked it so much I am doing it myself.

Innovermyhead,
Love your username!
I opened my b&b five years ago, with my husband, and at the time a 4 year old and 1 year old. So glad I did. We have since seperated and I don't know what else I could do where I could truly meet people from around the world (not just a hello, welcome, but truly share life). I now have a 3 year old, 6 year old and 10 year old.
It is tough and sometimes the guests see that. When they say "boy you have your hands full" my reply is " it is better than getting the kids up at 6am and taking them to childcare all day, coming home having dinner, going to bed and doing it all over tomorrow". My 2 oldest just came in from school and I am here. That is one of the rewards.
We do not have an apartment, we sleep in what was once a suite and is in the attic, guest rooms are on the 1st and 2nd floors. Unfortunately we have more interaction than I would like.
We have a guest here for the month from Germany, he is great to talk to and my kids get to know about other cultures and countries in their own home ( I would love for us to be traveling, but with 3 kids, whoo that would be expensive).
I too have found that my kids can be surprisingly helpful. Most of the time the guests breakfast comes first, but often it can come at the same time. Many guests have said how nice it is for them to spend time with children while visiting our city. It creates (hopefully) a pleasant memorable experience. Many guests will write to me later and ask about the children.
I have even had a couple guests who send the children birthday cards.
I feel that the toughest part of having a b&b with kids is NEVER having a break. I don't get to leave home and go to work or leave work and go home. Sometimes I force myself to do something away from the b&b for an afternoon and leave the cell phone at home.
you are welcome to private message me with any specific questions.

Innovermyhead,
Love your username!
I opened my b&b five years ago, with my husband, and at the time a 4 year old and 1 year old. So glad I did. We have since seperated and I don't know what else I could do where I could truly meet people from around the world (not just a hello, welcome, but truly share life). I now have a 3 year old, 6 year old and 10 year old.
It is tough and sometimes the guests see that. When they say "boy you have your hands full" my reply is " it is better than getting the kids up at 6am and taking them to childcare all day, coming home having dinner, going to bed and doing it all over tomorrow". My 2 oldest just came in from school and I am here. That is one of the rewards.
We do not have an apartment, we sleep in what was once a suite and is in the attic, guest rooms are on the 1st and 2nd floors. Unfortunately we have more interaction than I would like.
We have a guest here for the month from Germany, he is great to talk to and my kids get to know about other cultures and countries in their own home ( I would love for us to be traveling, but with 3 kids, whoo that would be expensive).
I too have found that my kids can be surprisingly helpful. Most of the time the guests breakfast comes first, but often it can come at the same time. Many guests have said how nice it is for them to spend time with children while visiting our city. It creates (hopefully) a pleasant memorable experience. Many guests will write to me later and ask about the children.
I have even had a couple guests who send the children birthday cards.
I feel that the toughest part of having a b&b with kids is NEVER having a break. I don't get to leave home and go to work or leave work and go home. Sometimes I force myself to do something away from the b&b for an afternoon and leave the cell phone at home.
you are welcome to private message me with any specific questions..
It's great to hear how those of you with children are managing your B & B. I admire you for that. All best wishes.

wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

I don't want to mislead you - it's hard. Some days, really HARD. But it's also very rewarding and (usually) enjoyable..
This is important to know when you look at the mix. It might be easier to juggle a place that's smaller, is only busy when you have the help of your dh, and is overall not that busy (since you opened not too long ago). JB also has a dh who works full-time outside the B&B and has 6 rooms, one in a separate cottage, and the B&B has been in operation for a good number of years.
Samster said:
We have 9 units and can sleep 24. We are a tourist destination and run above 80% occupancy in the summer months. I have a full time day job and my assistant innkeeper job is pretty much a 2nd full time job. DW does all the cooking and herds the cleaning girls. Not a spare minute for kids here...

When we opened 15 years ago our children were 6, 8, and 10. They grew up with guests coming and going all around them. Was is stressful and crazy at times? Yes. Was it also a wonderful experience for them and a chance of a lifetime to meet guests from all over the world? You bet! As time went on we converted our basement to a family room with a TV, workout equipment, and a foose ball table so they could hang out there with their friends. Our kitchen area is pretty large and that is our family space as well. I would not have changed a thing. Today they are all wonderful cooks and hard workers, partly because they pitched in here. They got to grow up in a beautiful home, have their mom home with them, and see what hard work really entails. Not a bad way to grow up.

Thank you all for sharing with everyone the joys and challenges you face when innkeeping with a family. You all have my admiration.
A couple of you are now single innkeepers. Do you feel that the stresses of being innkeepers played a major role in your relationships with your spouses?

Thank you all for sharing with everyone the joys and challenges you face when innkeeping with a family. You all have my admiration.
A couple of you are now single innkeepers. Do you feel that the stresses of being innkeepers played a major role in your relationships with your spouses?.
My marriage was falling apart before I became an innkeeper, and for a year or so I was a stay home mom (prior to a house fire, which lead to the b&b). I became aware that my spouse was not going to help support us and needed an income where I could still raise my kids. The b&b answered that need. It is stressful, but it is not the b&b that contributed to the dissolution of my marriage. Financially I am not sure it will work much longer, simply because the winter is too slow. We will see, I have a marketing intern at the moment and am putting forth a tremendous amount of effort in marketing my place.

When we opened 15 years ago our children were 6, 8, and 10. They grew up with guests coming and going all around them. Was is stressful and crazy at times? Yes. Was it also a wonderful experience for them and a chance of a lifetime to meet guests from all over the world? You bet! As time went on we converted our basement to a family room with a TV, workout equipment, and a foose ball table so they could hang out there with their friends. Our kitchen area is pretty large and that is our family space as well. I would not have changed a thing. Today they are all wonderful cooks and hard workers, partly because they pitched in here. They got to grow up in a beautiful home, have their mom home with them, and see what hard work really entails. Not a bad way to grow up..
Country Girl said:
When we opened 15 years ago our children were 6, 8, and 10. They grew up with guests coming and going all around them. Was is stressful and crazy at times? Yes. Was it also a wonderful experience for them and a chance of a lifetime to meet guests from all over the world? You bet! As time went on we converted our basement to a family room with a TV, workout equipment, and a foose ball table so they could hang out there with their friends. Our kitchen area is pretty large and that is our family space as well. I would not have changed a thing. Today they are all wonderful cooks and hard workers, partly because they pitched in here. They got to grow up in a beautiful home, have their mom home with them, and see what hard work really entails. Not a bad way to grow up.
Amen sister!!
=)
Kk.

A couple of you are now single innkeepers. Do you feel that the stresses of being innkeepers played a major role in your relationships with your spouses?.
Breakfast Diva said:
A couple of you are now single innkeepers. Do you feel that the stresses of being innkeepers played a major role in your relationships with your spouses?
No, not really... I mean, yes, there was stress, but I would not say it was the cause of our separation, which may have been inevitable as the kids got older and my perspective changed. (You can email if you'd like more detail.)
I know dh misses the B&B, and would come back and help out if I'd let him. (I had a guest who told me her friend operates her B&B with her ex-husand! Not for me...)
=)
Kk.

My marriage was falling apart before I became an innkeeper, and for a year or so I was a stay home mom (prior to a house fire, which lead to the b&b). I became aware that my spouse was not going to help support us and needed an income where I could still raise my kids. The b&b answered that need. It is stressful, but it is not the b&b that contributed to the dissolution of my marriage. Financially I am not sure it will work much longer, simply because the winter is too slow. We will see, I have a marketing intern at the moment and am putting forth a tremendous amount of effort in marketing my place.
domsmom said:
We will see, I have a marketing intern at the moment and am putting forth a tremendous amount of effort in marketing my place.
Oooh! I'm jealous!!!
=)
Kk.

wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
We have 9 units and can sleep 24. We are a tourist destination and run above 80% occupancy in the summer months. I have a full time day job and my assistant innkeeper job is pretty much a 2nd full time job. DW does all the cooking and herds the cleaning girls. Not a spare minute for kids here...
Sorry...my question was directed at RHJ. I remember how big your place is!

Back