Who are you staying with?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Many on this forum are anon, the reasoning is many, 1) so we can let our hair down, 2) so we can honestly discuss regional issues without other inns getting upset, 3) or discuss guest stories and share some of this FUN we all enjoy! This is great, most of us know who each other are, or will eventually.
But, having said that, I am always concerned when I see a B&B website that has zero information on the owners or innkeepers. I want to know who I am staying with, I want a personal welcome. Not asking for a full page diatribe, but a short bio or photo would make the inn that much more inviting and appealing! A personal touch, knowing they have real innkeepers and we will meet them at the Inn and feel welcomed.
I think it is a mistake to not share who you are on the website, if you are bothered by photos, at least have a sort bio - nothing about your past then just "Welcome to our B&B!" I believe this is what sets us apart from hotels and hired staff who don't give a rip, who are sterile and cold. If you are a solo innkeeper or couple, a smiling photo is worth a million bucks!
Will you give it a shot this year?

Thanks for the reminder... I need to update our pic as the ds6x2 are not so little anymore.
=)
Kk.

Do you think it's still an important thing to do even with all the reviews, FB & blog? I think anyone really interested in knowing who the innkeepers are can tell from reviews alone.
I'm one of those anonymous innkeepers and I'm also one that does not have a picture or bio on my website. I won't be adding it to my website, but then again, as commented before, my guests often are not your typical b&b guests. They typically choose to stay with us because of the more "private" nature of our place, i.e. breakfast delivered. I do have our bios in the guest binder in each room and many guests comment and ask us about our background and it's a good ice breaker for those who want more innkeeper interaction.

When you got on your soap box last year I added pix & a little greeting. Of course, as many like to point out, I buried it! Still, it is there if anyone looks around.
Not sure how many actually go to the blog from my site. But the blog is where they'd get more info about who they'd be staying with.
Kind of like if I had to start online dating at this point, tho, the photo of us is from 5 years ago. We're a LOT older now. Amazing what a diff 5 years will make.

Thanks for the reminder... I need to update our pic as the ds6x2 are not so little anymore.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
YS I was actually thinking of your website and how nice it is with your fam pix there. I hope that by having a nice image(s) it prevents those who think of us as a one-night-stand too. Keep those bad guests away!

Do you think it's still an important thing to do even with all the reviews, FB & blog? I think anyone really interested in knowing who the innkeepers are can tell from reviews alone.
I'm one of those anonymous innkeepers and I'm also one that does not have a picture or bio on my website. I won't be adding it to my website, but then again, as commented before, my guests often are not your typical b&b guests. They typically choose to stay with us because of the more "private" nature of our place, i.e. breakfast delivered. I do have our bios in the guest binder in each room and many guests comment and ask us about our background and it's a good ice breaker for those who want more innkeeper interaction..
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm one of those anonymous innkeepers and I'm also one that does not have a picture or bio on my website. I won't be adding it to my website, but then again, as commented before, my guests often are not your typical b&b guests. They typically choose to stay with us because of the more "private" nature of our place, i.e. breakfast delivered. I do have our bios in the guest binder in each room and many guests comment and ask us about our background and it's a good ice breaker for those who want more innkeeper interaction.
BD - I'm with you! I know that myself and others don't feel comfortable with a public display. One of the partners here is a formally trained French Chef with a degree from La Varenne in Paris. who was forced to give up her big name Restaurant when the economy went south. She said If anyone who ever knew me from before, saw me running around here with a vacuum....
I would just die!

I just saw a website (no one on this forum) that had a page "Our Family" and there was a whole page of what they were in their previous lives before innkeeping, all about their kids and grandkids. Not a picture of them to be found!
If you're going to have a who we are page, there should be pictures of who you are! Doh!!

I just saw a website (no one on this forum) that had a page "Our Family" and there was a whole page of what they were in their previous lives before innkeeping, all about their kids and grandkids. Not a picture of them to be found!
If you're going to have a who we are page, there should be pictures of who you are! Doh!!.
I would not post pix of my kids or grandkids (kids are old enough to tend to selves now but grands are not) because I do not want to make them identifiable to the pervs of the world. But having a small photo of me makes it easier for guests to know who is who.

If you're going to have a who we are page, there should be pictures of who you are! Doh!!.
I would not post pix of my kids or grandkids (kids are old enough to tend to selves now but grands are not) because I do not want to make them identifiable to the pervs of the world. But having a small photo of me makes it easier for guests to know who is who.
I wouldn't put pics of the kids either, but there should be one of the innkeepers if there's a page. IMNSHO
wow.gif

Still no bio or photo on my site. Maybe it's my way of holding onto my last shred of privacy in a very public world. Guests learn about me and my dh when they arrive or when they read reviews. I never look to see if there's an innkeeper bio and photo on the B&B's I visit. It doesn't make any difference to me. If the website looks great and has everything I'm looking for and great reviews, that's enough for me.

Still no bio or photo on my site. Maybe it's my way of holding onto my last shred of privacy in a very public world. Guests learn about me and my dh when they arrive or when they read reviews. I never look to see if there's an innkeeper bio and photo on the B&B's I visit. It doesn't make any difference to me. If the website looks great and has everything I'm looking for and great reviews, that's enough for me..
I don't look, either. And sometimes, the innkeeper photos are very off-putting if I do find them. Glam shots or VERY casual shots.
But, JB convinced me I need to have one. I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but it is buried. So, a pic for those who need one.

Still no bio or photo on my site. Maybe it's my way of holding onto my last shred of privacy in a very public world. Guests learn about me and my dh when they arrive or when they read reviews. I never look to see if there's an innkeeper bio and photo on the B&B's I visit. It doesn't make any difference to me. If the website looks great and has everything I'm looking for and great reviews, that's enough for me..
I don't look either. I'm choosing for location, price and amenities.

I don't look, either. And sometimes, the innkeeper photos are very off-putting if I do find them. Glam shots or VERY casual shots.
But, JB convinced me I need to have one. I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but it is buried. So, a pic for those who need one.
Morticia said:
We had guests mention it our first year - that they were glad we had our picture on our website. Not for a particularly heartwarming reason, as it turned out, but some people do look for it.
It is good if you might be looking for an innmate in a crowded place, like a conference!

I will keep this in mind as I revamp my site. Although as noted, people often get a great idea of who we are by other people's perception-via reviews.
One idea I came up with is to have a site with reviews regarding guests. Folks can read reviews about us, check out our place, but hey what do I know about them before they arrive? ...it's a joke....
wink_smile.gif

I will keep this in mind as I revamp my site. Although as noted, people often get a great idea of who we are by other people's perception-via reviews.
One idea I came up with is to have a site with reviews regarding guests. Folks can read reviews about us, check out our place, but hey what do I know about them before they arrive? ...it's a joke....
wink_smile.gif
allnationsbnb said:
wink_smile.gif
I like it!
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
. . . If you are a solo innkeeper or couple, a smiling photo is worth a million bucks!
. . .
No, seriously, put numbers to it. How much did your bookings increase when you added your photo?

Joey Bloggs said:
. . . If you are a solo innkeeper or couple, a smiling photo is worth a million bucks!
. . .
No, seriously, put numbers to it. How much did your bookings increase when you added your photo?.
IronGate said:
Joey Bloggs said:
. . .
No, seriously, put numbers to it. How much did your bookings increase when you added your photo?
Are you kidding? Only the wizard of Oz would know something like that. No one said your bookings increase, it is all part of guest relations imo.

Not all innkeepers are friendly and welcoming. I am partial to those who are.

Back