Who decides?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a phone that slams so I can hang up harshly on telemarketers..
Joe Bloggs said:
I want a phone that slams so I can hang up harshly on telemarketers.
The other option is to have a playground whistle near the phone at all times. When the telemarketer calls you blow the whistle into the phone and then hang up.
oceans said:
Joe Bloggs said:
The other option is to have a playground whistle near the phone at all times. When the telemarketer calls you blow the whistle into the phone and then hang up.
I wish we could do that to the never ending spam emails....
angry_smile.gif

I get satisfaction by turning on a tv, setting the phone next to it and walking away for a while. Better for the phone!
aieechihuahua said:
I get satisfaction by turning on a tv, setting the phone next to it and walking away for a while. Better for the phone!
If they call you on your toll-free line isn't potentially racking up charges you pay for in the end and tying up your reservation line?

aieechihuahua said:
I do that a lot too! I set the phone in front of the radio speaker that is playing Barry Manilow or some other singer and walk away.

Joe Bloggs said:
What I do to telemarketers is say " Yes, sure I am interested, could you please hold on a sec ?" They say sure, I put the phone down and go on with my routine. Once you hear the bussy signal, you know they hung up. :)
I am careful to not use any affirmative word. If they record the conversation and edit it with your voice saying yes... It may be one of the misinformation things making the e-mail rounds, but I do not take the chance.

aieechihuahua said:
I do that a lot too! I set the phone in front of the radio speaker that is playing Barry Manilow or some other singer and walk away.
oceans said:
aieechihuahua said:
now that is killing them with kindess...

I've let three people sleep in one king bed before with no problems. Had three women do it and two adults and one child..
oceans said:
I've let three people sleep in one king bed before with no problems. Had three women do it and two adults and one child.
I always picture a room with this arrangement like a clown car in the circus. The door opens and the guests all come tumbling out. It is too much stress on the room itself, not to mention the additional noise for the guests in the nearby rooms. To me, that leads to the slippery slope of subsequently allowing 5 guests in a room with 2 beds. Even if it were allowable by the fire marshal, it is too much for the innkeeper.
At one point we did allow 5 guests in 1 room. 4 adults and a baby. Never again. The adults were cramped and unhappy with their stay even though they insisted on the arrangement. They were unhappy again because we did not have a microwave they were allowed to use, but they did use the kitchen anyway, unallowed. They were unhappy because we didn't have saran wrap and they looked in every cabinet to find it. And they loudly grumbled their dismay at no saran wrap throughout the house so all could hear.
After that we realized when 4 adults with a baby want 1 room, they are penny pinching and they really want a hotel with a kitchenette.
I concur, after just getting a call like this!!! They want the experience that other people are writing about on the review sites for your B&B and then wonder why it just doesn't pan out for them. Doh! I have one word for these people - MOTEL!

aieechihuahua said:
If they call you on your toll-free line isn't potentially racking up charges you pay for in the end and tying up your reservation line?
HI TIM!
I use a phone company that I can tell when it's a toll free call from the caller ID, so no problem!

aieechihuahua said:
Nirvana!

Joe Bloggs said:
We have extra beds that you plug in and turn on and they fill with air; they work great for extra guests.
I don't understand why you want to be rude to telemarketers. Of course I hate getting the calls but I just say I'm on the do not call list and hang up. The economy is terrible and many people are doing jobs they hate, including telemarketers. I used to know a blind guy who did this; it was the only job he could find.

aieechihuahua said:
Nirvana!
aieechihuahua said:
No. no. Its got to be metal. Preferably Metalica.

Joe Bloggs said:
We have extra beds that you plug in and turn on and they fill with air; they work great for extra guests.
I don't understand why you want to be rude to telemarketers. Of course I hate getting the calls but I just say I'm on the do not call list and hang up. The economy is terrible and many people are doing jobs they hate, including telemarketers. I used to know a blind guy who did this; it was the only job he could find.
Markie said:
because it is spam, unsolicited crap that ruins my day each and every day, dozens of calls that tie up my phone line and could cost me bookings - which pay my bills. and every friggin' time I have to stop what I am doing and answer the phone and have someone selling or scamming me on the other end. Nothing good comes from a telemarketing call, ever. they ruin my day each and every day. I HATE telemarketers. Please feel free to pass it on...

aieechihuahua said:
Nirvana!
aieechihuahua said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
aieechihuahua said:
Disagree. Telemarketers are young. Barry Manilow was the perfect choice.

Joe Bloggs said:
Markie said:
because it is spam, unsolicited crap that ruins my day each and every day, dozens of calls that tie up my phone line and could cost me bookings - which pay my bills. and every friggin' time I have to stop what I am doing and answer the phone and have someone selling or scamming me on the other end. Nothing good comes from a telemarketing call, ever. they ruin my day each and every day. I HATE telemarketers. Please feel free to pass it on...
Markie has never been sworn at by telemarketers who call 10 times in 5 minutes because you won't put them through to the person in charge of credit card processing. Markie has never had to sit there and listen to the phone ring, look at the caller id and realize it is the same person again the next day. I do believe he had the number on speed dial. As soon as the phone stopped ringing it would start again.
And you can't hang up fast enough so you don't hear them swearing at you. It's a real soul sucker somedays.

Joe Bloggs said:
I understand the telemarketers are just trying to make a living. Let me put it this way - I hate telemarketing compnaies. They invade my home and my time on an instrument I PAY FOR, disrupting any incoming traffic that could be generating income for me, causing me to race to answer what should be MY BUSINESS to hear my name butchered if they even know my name and if I can even understand them as many of the calls these days seem to be non-American accents (and not from south of our border either) trying to sell me things I do not have a need for. Yesterday DH answered the phone for me, told the person we do not have a restaurant and we do not have a cash register and when I took the line, tried to sell me supplies for my cash register - don't have one; how about your credit card processor - it is fine. Goodbye.
Now if someone could tell me how to make my sun-bleached LED display on the cc machine legible again, I would like to hear it. Bought it used and it was iffy then and never thought about the light coming in my window onto the desk. Now I pray I am reading what it says with the pattern of straight lines that I see.

Joe Bloggs said:
What I do to telemarketers is say " Yes, sure I am interested, could you please hold on a sec ?" They say sure, I put the phone down and go on with my routine. Once you hear the bussy signal, you know they hung up. :)
I am careful to not use any affirmative word. If they record the conversation and edit it with your voice saying yes... It may be one of the misinformation things making the e-mail rounds, but I do not take the chance.
gillumhouse said:
No, that actually happened to us and to another friend of ours. DH is not mean enough to these people and agreed to 'receiving information'. That became a $35/month phone charge. It is known as 'slamming' and it is extremely difficult to get those charges removed, although we were able to do it even with an edited recording. The phone company doesn't get involved.
You would think that would teach DH to hang up on them immediately but he is still too nice.

Joe Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
No, that actually happened to us and to another friend of ours. DH is not mean enough to these people and agreed to 'receiving information'. That became a $35/month phone charge. It is known as 'slamming' and it is extremely difficult to get those charges removed, although we were able to do it even with an edited recording. The phone company doesn't get involved.
You would think that would teach DH to hang up on them immediately but he is still too nice.
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
We've been hit as well. Not one time, either. My cc is currently cancelled due to ANOTHER ONE. RIGHT NOW AS I TYPE THIS. I am disputing a marketer who called and scammed me. YEP, ME. Any idea what a big major hassle it is to have my credit card cancelled and wait for a new one? HUGE!!! HANG UP ON THEM. Do not give them a foot to stand on. How someone can charge your cc without your auth is beyond me, but they do, and the cc company caught it, thankfully! But it still caused us total grief!

Joe Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
We've been hit as well. Not one time, either. My cc is currently cancelled due to ANOTHER ONE. RIGHT NOW AS I TYPE THIS. I am disputing a marketer who called and scammed me. YEP, ME. Any idea what a big major hassle it is to have my credit card cancelled and wait for a new one? HUGE!!! HANG UP ON THEM. Do not give them a foot to stand on. How someone can charge your cc without your auth is beyond me, but they do, and the cc company caught it, thankfully! But it still caused us total grief!
Oh my...If I pick up and it is someone calling about business...because many still think our B & B is open...I just hang up. I won't give them 2 seconds to talk before I hang up. I have been fooled a few times thinking it was someone for my husband, but as soon as I hear the "spiel start"...CLICK!

Joe Bloggs said:
Markie said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Markie said:
Exactly... It is a persons choice to take such a no good job. I worked in the billing department once at a clinic. I was in receiving. Just across from me was collections...nope, I could and would never do a job where I have to herrass people in any way.

Back