Who do we believe?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverspoon

Reaction score
We are on the road in the lovely state of VT...Stowe. Tomorrow we have an appointment for our Global Entry cards on the US-CA boarder at Derby Line. Google says it takes 1 hour 23 min. Our inn keepers say 3 hours. HELP! Any idea how long it really takes?

Rt 100 to Newport from Stowe. Then 105 to Derby Line. 1.5 - 2 hours depending on traffic. If you go back to the interstate, then yes, 3 hours.
Scenic drive from Stowe to Newport.

Believe the innkeeper especially if it the one from here I think you might be at their place! Traffic makes all the difference in the world….

Believe the innkeeper especially if it the one from here I think you might be at their place! Traffic makes all the difference in the world…..
Not a lot of traffic on Route 100 north of Stowe at this time of year (not yet peak foliage season).

Believe the innkeeper.
Anyway, I am always happy to arrive early someplace.

If you go through Newport, stop at the Northeast Kingdom Tasting Center and try some Eden Ice Cider....
(then it might really take 3 hours! ;-)

About and hour and a half, but it's slow country roads most of the way there.

Incidentally, don't worry about being early. Just go in and tell them you are early. They likely can process you early. We did it at another border and it was quick. But remember that you have to go over to the Canadian side for the retinal scan.

Times are about right. You'll be passing just 20 minutes from my place.

Times are about right. You'll be passing just 20 minutes from my place..
Phineas, I had no idea we would be so close to you. Does not look like we will have time to visit on the way up, but will let you know if we will try to meet up on our way back. You have probably driven Stowe to Derby Line. Is it 1.5 hr or 3?

About and hour and a half, but it's slow country roads most of the way there..
We will leave Stowe by 8:30. Appointments are at 11:15. I hate to worry about being late. Thanks everyone for your expert advice!

After the excitement, go to the Haskell Free library, which is built partly in Canada and partly in VT. Make sure you exit thru the US door!
Back in Stowe? Dinner in Montpelier at Sarduccis. Cabot Creamery, Cold Hollow cider mill, B&J's on Rt 100. Drive the notch road before it closes go the winter!
You can swing by and say hi to my kid and grandkids.

After the excitement, go to the Haskell Free library, which is built partly in Canada and partly in VT. Make sure you exit thru the US door!
Back in Stowe? Dinner in Montpelier at Sarduccis. Cabot Creamery, Cold Hollow cider mill, B&J's on Rt 100. Drive the notch road before it closes go the winter!
You can swing by and say hi to my kid and grandkids..
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass them on to DH who is driving. This is a very pretty area. A bit disappointed that it rains all day so our sightseeing was a wash out. We will have to return when we have more time.

Thanks everyone. 1 hr 25 min from Stowe to boarder station at Derby Line. Had interview for Global Entry, finger printed but no retina scan. I still have no idea where the inn keeper got 3 hrs for that trip!

Thanks everyone. 1 hr 25 min from Stowe to boarder station at Derby Line. Had interview for Global Entry, finger printed but no retina scan. I still have no idea where the inn keeper got 3 hrs for that trip!.
They didn't have the retinal scan at the other side of the border? You have to go in and request it. Or you will have to do it at another border crossing.

Thanks everyone. 1 hr 25 min from Stowe to boarder station at Derby Line. Had interview for Global Entry, finger printed but no retina scan. I still have no idea where the inn keeper got 3 hrs for that trip!.
They didn't have the retinal scan at the other side of the border? You have to go in and request it. Or you will have to do it at another border crossing.
Ahhh, no mention of it. Can we get it on the way back to US? Do we need an appointment? I wonder why they never mentioned it!

Ahhh, no mention of it. Can we get it on the way back to US? Do we need an appointment? I wonder why they never mentioned it!
They should have. No appointment needed. Just tell them as you cross that you need to go in for it.

They should have. No appointment needed. Just tell them as you cross that you need to go in for it.
Will do. Thanks!

Will do. Thanks!

Back