Who is at the door?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, this one was too weird to pass up...doorbell rings last night and a lot of our guests were sitting in the dining room chatting. I come out and this guy is standing there who I thought was our last check-in. Nope.
This is what he says to me, 'My friends stayed here last week and you told them a great place to go for dinner. I just called him and he can't rememer the name of the place. So, where did you send them?'
Right, he was not even a guest here. Was not planning to be a guest here. He just wanted to know where the really good restaurant was.
How the heck am I supposed to remember where I sent his friends when I can't even remember his friends?

HaHaHa - I hear your wierdo story and I think I we have a tie....
Had a call last week - "This is Suzzie Smith, we stayed with you a few years ago and you sent us to a really great restaurant. We are in CopperTown right now and we can't remember how to get to it." Could not remember the name or the street. I tell people about all types of restaurants & my map is chock full of them! Well, I asked them what road they were on, and told them a restaurant and said 'I think this is the one.'

Phone rings (I am working my 2nd job doing customer service but I am between calls so I answer)
"Can you give me the address for x in (one town over)?
Sorry Sir you have called X Inn you will need to call Directory Information"
"Well you have A PHONE BOOK DON'T YOU?"
(Now I have to say that I have had these types of calls before but generally they start with "we know we are not calling the right place but...." or " we are thinking of staying with you and wondered the distance" .... and I am happy to help)
But no I had none of this so I say I am sorry I am not directory information. (not to mention I don't even know where the place is they are asking for in x town)
"Well we WERE thinking of staying with you but apparently you don't NEED guests".
Had he not slammed down the phone and had I not still been dazed by his rudeness I would have said Why Yes I do NEED guests but fortunately not your kind!"
(and it takes a LOT for me to get mad)

Got one better and sadder...female calls my answering service about booking they transfer the call to me. She is very mixed up about my rates say" different sites say different prices"Her voice is comming off as angry but maybe she sounds this way always ?I give her a great rate of $140.00 for 2 bedrooms in the Inn suite and tell her about Webervations. When I get home from my College job I see she has booked,send her a CONFIRMATION. She then (next day) calls my answering service againe not the tele # on her confirmation.I answer(if I am home & pick up before 3 rings I answer) She againe has the same voice and says she just wanted information about price & how many can stay,says she has called mega times no one has called her back(as we talk,I check my cell one message from her) I tell her she actually made a reservation & left C.C.info.She is not happy, says the usual "I've traveled/stayed at many B&B, etc" .I ask her if she would like to cancel her reservation as she is not satisfied. She says 'YES" ,never asks if there is a fee. I didnt charge her any thing just sent Webervation e-mail,can not accommodate you. She then e-mails TripAdvisor writes a bad rating for me.She did send me a e-mail which I have not opened yet ?!? I've written TA many times no response .The 24 hr response on there part is a fairy tale.Mary in Bridgewater, Va.
sad_smile.gif

Where did all these air headed people come from?
I don't recall it being this bad going back 20+ years.....
I trully think this is a societal problem.......to much on everyones plate.....the pace of life has exelerated to the point that attention spans have become minimal at best......I blame cable television......100+ channels and no one can decide what to watch

So Mary it states right there in her review she never stayed at your place, that is just bunk!!! I would add a mgmt response simply stated this guest have never stayed with us. Sorry you had that happen!

Where did all these air headed people come from?
I don't recall it being this bad going back 20+ years.....
I trully think this is a societal problem.......to much on everyones plate.....the pace of life has exelerated to the point that attention spans have become minimal at best......I blame cable television......100+ channels and no one can decide what to watch.
I blame cell phones...everyone off in their own little world and don't care a 'fig' about what anyone thinks.

So Mary it states right there in her review she never stayed at your place, that is just bunk!!! I would add a mgmt response simply stated this guest have never stayed with us. Sorry you had that happen!.
That is ridiculous! Just talking to an innkeeper or should I say being rude to an innkeeper there is no way that review should be allowed! Do a mgt response now and hope they remove it. But I doubt it. They say any interaction between the guest and accommodation is ok...that is WRONG.

So Mary it states right there in her review she never stayed at your place, that is just bunk!!! I would add a mgmt response simply stated this guest have never stayed with us. Sorry you had that happen!.
That is ridiculous! Just talking to an innkeeper or should I say being rude to an innkeeper there is no way that review should be allowed! Do a mgt response now and hope they remove it. But I doubt it. They say any interaction between the guest and accommodation is ok...that is WRONG.
I've sent 3 or 4 reponse's so far, thats why I say the 24 hr response from them is a fairey tale. No TA response.She seemed/talked like s female on a mission, guess she is happy now.I suggested the cancelation as she was unhappy and possibly a guest that would be unhappy.She jumped on the suggestion and agreed "yes cancel" .Had a few strange guest..the cheese plate lady did not order a cheese plate, it comes in the room/cottages (in the frig.) with all reservations...free.. The guy that smelled something in the Inn suite..dog smell? That room has never had a dog in it only the Cottage but it has 2 oil's of dogs..they must be cratch & sniff !Got to go have 10:00&1o:30 bfast to make/deliver...Mary in Bwater.

I've sent 3 or 4 reponse's so far, thats why I say the 24 hr response from them is a fairey tale. No TA response.She seemed/talked like s female on a mission, guess she is happy now.I suggested the cancelation as she was unhappy and possibly a guest that would be unhappy.She jumped on the suggestion and agreed "yes cancel" .Had a few strange guest..the cheese plate lady did not order a cheese plate, it comes in the room/cottages (in the frig.) with all reservations...free.. The guy that smelled something in the Inn suite..dog smell? That room has never had a dog in it only the Cottage but it has 2 oil's of dogs..they must be cratch & sniff !Got to go have 10:00&1o:30 bfast to make/deliver...Mary in Bwater.
Just got a call from a female who wanted me to send her a brochure.I told her its on my enternet site at....................., she says she cant do that and I explaine the site has rates,more photos & info..as I am talking she hand up ! Glad I have caller ID.....Mary ,still in Bwater.ps all people can get on line at the library.

I had a call yesterday asking for a brochure. I said certainly, may I have your name and address. He says the same name he gave me (I thought I recognized his voice) last month so I tell him, I already sent you a brochure. Oh, goodbye. (He also called last year and got a brochure then. I remember because it is an odd last name and because I have a travel memory of my own with his city.) Now I wonder what he is doing with all those brochures.

Just got a call from a female who wanted me to send her a brochure.I told her its on my enternet site at....................., she says she cant do that and I explaine the site has rates,more photos & info..as I am talking she hand up ! Glad I have caller ID.....Mary ,still in Bwater.ps all people can get on line at the library.
I get a call EVERY year from the same person - distinct voice, that after several years I know by memory. Always asks for a brochure. I have asked questions like when they expect to come, can I check dates etc. Nope, just send the brochure. Not sure what the reason for her wanting the material, but it isn't because she is planning a visit.

I had a call yesterday asking for a brochure. I said certainly, may I have your name and address. He says the same name he gave me (I thought I recognized his voice) last month so I tell him, I already sent you a brochure. Oh, goodbye. (He also called last year and got a brochure then. I remember because it is an odd last name and because I have a travel memory of my own with his city.) Now I wonder what he is doing with all those brochures..
Wonder if it is the same person. I said 'she' but it could be a 'he'. One of those voices that you really question. I do not recall the name (I am not a name person) and haven't written the name down since the 1st year they called.

I do brochures with Vista but just order 20 at a time and that lasts me 4 months as people take them sometimes I have sent out maybe 4 in six months to little old ladies etc. there just isn't the demand these days.

I do brochures with Vista but just order 20 at a time and that lasts me 4 months as people take them sometimes I have sent out maybe 4 in six months to little old ladies etc. there just isn't the demand these days..
I hav ethe brochures more than anything to have in the Welcome Centers - and they call me when they are in low supply - and to have in my purse to give to someone with the "commercial".

Did you tell her you didn't have a brochure...that it is all on line. Maybe that would have made more sense to her. Go figure..is this SILLY SEASON for Innkeepers???

I had a call yesterday asking for a brochure. I said certainly, may I have your name and address. He says the same name he gave me (I thought I recognized his voice) last month so I tell him, I already sent you a brochure. Oh, goodbye. (He also called last year and got a brochure then. I remember because it is an odd last name and because I have a travel memory of my own with his city.) Now I wonder what he is doing with all those brochures..
Handing them out to the other prisoners in the cells:)

Nothing gets by your memory K.
Like the booking for tonight here for a funeral, they had booked a while back and had to cancel, the name is unique and not from a nationality we typically get here. They never say "Oh remember us?" or anything. No biggee, but I leave my bookings in the system under CANCELLED and a reason for the cancel (proactive in case they cancel again another time), and they were already in there, like I thought.

Back