Who opened the flood gates??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Is anybody else experiencing this "problem". I've suddenly never had so many reservations on the books. About 3 weeks ago I had 3 or 4/week, now I'm full almost every night, about 30/week for my 5 rooms. A ten-fold increase over just a few weeks ago.

My door keypads can each hold 19 codes at a time, but I never knew that the software that keeps up with all the keypad codes also has a limit. But lately I keeps saying it just can't handle any more code for any keypad, unless I delete a few. So for far-off reservations I'm having to keep a list and will add their codes closer to arrival date. I've never had this problem before.

I suspect it's related to all the people who have been stuck at home for a year and are now free to travel, so I'm not foolishly expecting it's a permanent shift.

We’re not that full, but are getting 2-4 reservations every day. What’s really different is the length of stay. We’re getting a lot 5 nighters.

From what I can see, this is pretty similar with all the other places in town.

I do the door codes day of arrival. I charge the card, then do the door code. If the card fails, no code.

Is anybody else experiencing this "problem". I've suddenly never had so many reservations on the books
More advance booking this year than, well for at least several years. I’ve got my ‘nut’ in advance bookings, so feeling pretty confident of travel $ for the Spring. Yippee!
Now to get through the season. Full dinners this week so later nights and tired dogs. :)

Our best year of bookings in 16 years!! Google Hotel Ads through Res Key and TA Trip Connect are driving factors!

We are maintaining the 24 hr rest between guests - the housekeeper (hubs) is liking that pace. We will discontinue on a case by case basis for now.

Reservations are coming in steadily. Enough so, we have little availability left for the summer. The one OTA (Xped) noticed and contacted me this week thinking we were blocking them out. For May, we have limited the availability and until guidelines changed for the end of the month, we were doing it for safety and easier social distancing. It ticked me off a bit for the OTA to check up and ask why we were limiting for May and about the summer. I thought being booked was a good thing. The few cancellations we have had were from the OTA customers.

I got a call as I was finishing serving breakfast this morning. someone bicycling across the USA. He booked a budget room which was OK by me - until I hit the flusher handle too hard and broke the frigging thing odd in the tank! I had already done up the room from last night so he gets a free upgrade. I will get the parts Monday for the broken one. Sigh! I am also a lot busier than usual. the bank account is happy.

I got a call as I was finishing serving breakfast this morning. someone bicycling across the USA. He booked a budget room which was OK by me - until I hit the flusher handle too hard and broke the frigging thing odd in the tank!

no good deed……. :(

SAVED!! I think. Bill went over to the hardware store and got the part. He is upstairs now installing it. One of my computer gurus just left. Resetting the network password is not as easy as doing a new password. Apparently I have 2 routers (I would have messed up the whole thing had I tried to do it. Since I operate my office on wifi (do not ask cuz I do not know - that is why I have computer guys) he has to go get a laptop so he can connect direct to the router (or modem) in my old office. I have 2 networks and the one I designate for guests is the one with the messed up password.

Someone I know told me recently when I was moaning about my wifi password, that HIS provider had changed HIS password on him - and did not tell him. We are wondering if my provider had something to do with it being messed up. Thank goodness it is the guest network that has the problem.

Reservations are coming in steadily. Enough so, we have little availability left for the summer. The one OTA (Xped) noticed and contacted me this week thinking we were blocking them out. For May, we have limited the availability and until guidelines changed for the end of the month, we were doing it for safety and easier social distancing. It ticked me off a bit for the OTA to check up and ask why we were limiting for May and about the summer. I thought being booked was a good thing. The few cancellations we have had were from the OTA customers.
We got the same annoying call from Expedia... Me: "Yes, you dont have availability because we are very full the next two months!" "And, every room available to book direct is also available for you"

The Expedia person was very difficult to understand...

Hey... I have my first reservation for this year in August.
Yay!

In other news, the floodgates closed here a couple of days ago. No new reservations. Guests are balking at the prices.

I'm full all weekend and today I've turned down SIX requests for a room tonight. Never had so many before. People are definitely traveling again, at least here. Some areas may not be as opened up as we are, but it's coming. Enjoy the brief flood, when it comes, then I expect things to return to fairly normal.

I'm full all weekend and today I've turned down SIX requests for a room tonight. Never had so many before. People are definitely traveling again, at least here. Some areas may not be as opened up as we are, but it's coming. Enjoy the brief flood, when it comes, then I expect things to return to fairly normal.
Well, I spoke too soon. We got four reservations this morning. Not full, but busy enough. I do know that this is uncommon, not being full I mean. Everything I’ve been hearing is that my state is booked solid for the summer already.
Guests who were here last week came back today and said it was awful where they went—they couldn’t park their car, all the hiking trails were packed, they couldn’t get in anywhere to have dinner. So, yes, people are traveling! But not everything is open here.

I have one room this weekend. Had a call late last night - wanted 2 beds in the room. Nope. This is a cash rez and I am just as happy to just have it. We are having a liquid sunshine weekend until Monday. I was offered a trip up north Monday if I wanted to put flowers on my family graves and am going to be able to do it as not having guests in the way.

Today I took a rez for my last room the first weekend in August - 2 rooms for a family reunion that will tie me up all weekend keeping the log house open and the other room is for a bicycle race so he will be breakfast and out of here and with the race events the rest of the day & evening. I have a scattering of reservations - some each month so far - that is unusual to have so far in advance. AND more are paying cash which in itself is a tip - no fees.

Back