Who was your funniest or most memorable guest?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading those I'm kinda sorry that my guest interaction might be limited by having cabins.
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
After reading those I'm kinda sorry that my guest interaction might be limited by having cabins.
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Remember the gal from Australia who used to post? She had cabins, she had stories!
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Remember the gal from Australia who used to post? She had cabins, she had stories!
So did the gal from Ca. She had plenty of stories!
that was Christy. She also said that cleaning cabins was another whole ball of wax after innkeeping - a lot more work. But hers were very upscale, and I don't know what yours are.
Personally, if I were getting involved with cabings and stoves I'd sure make sure the ovens were self cleaning, or just stick with microwaves!
Riki
Good point about self cleaning ovens... I'll have to put that on my check list for my next visit!
I'm not sure what very upscale means but I think mine are a bit more rustic in decor. Nice furniture but kind of Texas chic - painted furniture but in bold colors, primary hues, brightly colored plates, bandana prints. Doesn't work for me personally but it fits the area which is close to the "Cowboy Capital of the World" and it would be cheap to maintain.
Actually, there are three places vying for that title, the one I'm talking about has hills.
springlady said:
Good point about self cleaning ovens... I'll have to put that on my check list for my next visit!
I'm not sure what very upscale means but I think mine are a bit more rustic in decor. Nice furniture but kind of Texas chic - painted furniture but in bold colors, primary hues, brightly colored plates, bandana prints. Doesn't work for me personally but it fits the area which is close to the "Cowboy Capital of the World" and it would be cheap to maintain.
Actually, there are three places vying for that title, the one I'm talking about has hills.
Christy was in CA. She had VERY needy, demanding guests who paid big bucks to stay with her. (Not big enough bucks, tho, to take away the sting of their demanding attitudes!)
One example I remember was a guest who thought they should have received a free wine and cheese gift basket on arrival.

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
that was Christy. She also said that cleaning cabins was another whole ball of wax after innkeeping - a lot more work. But hers were very upscale, and I don't know what yours are.
Personally, if I were getting involved with cabings and stoves I'd sure make sure the ovens were self cleaning, or just stick with microwaves!
Riki
springlady said:
Christy was in CA. She had VERY needy, demanding guests who paid big bucks to stay with her. (Not big enough bucks, tho, to take away the sting of their demanding attitudes!)
One example I remember was a guest who thought they should have received a free wine and cheese gift basket on arrival.
Yes, I remember her post about the people who were there for the "Earth Dance" Festival or something, who complained about the winding road, lack of street lights, and remote location - when the winding road was featured in a prominent photo on the website!
She did seem to have more than her fair share of "characters".
Did she sell her place?

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
springlady said:
Yes, I remember her post about the people who were there for the "Earth Dance" Festival or something, who complained about the winding road, lack of street lights, and remote location - when the winding road was featured in a prominent photo on the website!
She did seem to have more than her fair share of "characters".
Did she sell her place?
Oh right, I remember that one, too. Tree huggers who didn't like trees! She sold and moved on. But I think it sold as a private residence. Yes? No?

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
That's what I assumed you were doing. She was doing upscale with whilrpool tubs and all kinds of amenities so it was very labor-intensive.
Christy is back in North Carolina or Georgia. That's where she was happiest.
Riki

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
That's what I assumed you were doing. She was doing upscale with whilrpool tubs and all kinds of amenities so it was very labor-intensive.
Riki
I'm so glad for her, I remember how unhappy she was and how much she wanted to move back to the South.
I also remember some of her cabin issues, especially that she went into it thinking she could hire help and then found that California state regulations made that extremely difficult. I also remember that her cabins were a distance from her main house which made it harder for her to manage them.
Mine have a single bathroom with a shower/tub combo, very basic but updated and clean. Ceramic tile kitchen and bathrooms, commercial grade carpet in the living room and maybe some of the bedrooms (I'll have to look back at the pictures since I can't remember). I'd just as soon have had tile everywhere because I love my swiffer, carpet means lugging a vacuum cleaner out to the cabins.
Hmmm, I wouldn't expect my lodgers to really CLEAN before they left. Seems like most of the guest house/cabins I've stayed in just asked you to wash the dishes before you left and take out the trash.

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
I'm so glad for her, I remember how unhappy she was and how much she wanted to move back to the South.
I also remember some of her cabin issues, especially that she went into it thinking she could hire help and then found that California state regulations made that extremely difficult. I also remember that her cabins were a distance from her main house which made it harder for her to manage them.
Mine have a single bathroom with a shower/tub combo, very basic but updated and clean. Ceramic tile kitchen and bathrooms, commercial grade carpet in the living room and maybe some of the bedrooms (I'll have to look back at the pictures since I can't remember). I'd just as soon have had tile everywhere because I love my swiffer, carpet means lugging a vacuum cleaner out to the cabins.
Hmmm, I wouldn't expect my lodgers to really CLEAN before they left. Seems like most of the guest house/cabins I've stayed in just asked you to wash the dishes before you left and take out the trash.
People won't clean the way you want them to, I think. I would find someone to hire to do it and build it into the rate. People need work these days, so it may not be so difficult to find someone reliable, I would hope...
Riki

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
She's in Charlotte. You have heard of gun-shy, she is now guest-shy. Doesn't want anything to do with them.
teeth_smile.gif
But an FYI to newbies on the forum - she quite successfully ran a B&B in GA and had fantastic guests! The location of her upscale cabins in the hills above San Fran ended it all. There is something to that! So if you are looking at buying a turn-key B&B - location matters. It really matters. Type of B&B also matters.

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
People won't clean the way you want them to, I think. I would find someone to hire to do it and build it into the rate. People need work these days, so it may not be so difficult to find someone reliable, I would hope...
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Except that she said her location is VERY remote. Might need an on-site cleaning person.

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
She's in Charlotte. You have heard of gun-shy, she is now guest-shy. Doesn't want anything to do with them.
teeth_smile.gif
But an FYI to newbies on the forum - she quite successfully ran a B&B in GA and had fantastic guests! The location of her upscale cabins in the hills above San Fran ended it all. There is something to that! So if you are looking at buying a turn-key B&B - location matters. It really matters. Type of B&B also matters.
Actually she was in Mendacino (sp???) which is quite a drive from San Francisco, and may have added to the problem. I think it's about a 2 hour drive. And if I recall they didn't warm up to B&Bs either. It's a beautiful but very small town. It's where they filmed, "Murder, She Wrote"
RIki

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
teeth_smile.gif
Actually she was in Mendacino (sp???) which is quite a drive from San Francisco, and may have added to the problem. I think it's about a 2 hour drive. And if I recall they didn't warm up to B&Bs either. It's a beautiful but very small town. It's where they filmed, "Murder, She Wrote"
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Yes Mendocino County - Willits CA. That is a weekend getaway distance for San Fran.

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Except that she said her location is VERY remote. Might need an on-site cleaning person.
But it IS in Texas so it may be easier to find help.

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
I don't know how hard it will be to find help so I'm not counting on it right away. Daughter will help until her cake business takes off and even then she should be available and she'll need the money.
There are many places in the area so help may be hard to find. There's a huge Baptist encampment nearby that has ads for help in the local paper all the time. I wouldn't think that's a good sign but other than tourism, real estate, and banking there aren't many local jobs.

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
I don't know how hard it will be to find help so I'm not counting on it right away. Daughter will help until her cake business takes off and even then she should be available and she'll need the money.
There are many places in the area so help may be hard to find. There's a huge Baptist encampment nearby that has ads for help in the local paper all the time. I wouldn't think that's a good sign but other than tourism, real estate, and banking there aren't many local jobs.
springlady said:
I just got Kathleen's post. Yes, it is TEXACO or MEXAS - whichever name you prefer. I might not be fast but I get there eventually.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

There's a huge Baptist encampment nearby that has ads for help in the local paper all the time. I wouldn't think that's a good sign but other than tourism, real estate, and banking there aren't many local jobs.
It could mean several things.
  1. They pay for crap
  2. They are totally demanding employers
  3. There are other better paying jobs to be found
  4. INS keeps watch closely
  5. The employee pool sucks and the emcampment keeps praying for a miracle of good employees

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Not necessarily. My friend in the Houston area had quite a time finding help and Housston is the biggest city in TX! The "illegals" wanted $20+ to work as housekeepers.

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Not necessarily. My friend in the Houston area had quite a time finding help and Housston is the biggest city in TX! The "illegals" wanted $20+ to work as housekeepers.
Depends on where you are in Houston because it's so big - I'm in the burbs and can't get help because no one will come out this far.

KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
springlady said:
KINDA.
wink_smile.gif
Riki
Riki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Depends on where you are in Houston because it's so big - I'm in the burbs and can't get help because no one will come out this far.
Well, there's that too!

My most memorable guests are definitely Mr and Mrs Amorous. It's a bit of a long story to recite here, but I did blog about it just a few days ago if you care to read.
I completely agree that the guests are the best part of the job. even the bad/rude/obnoxious ones have their place.

Back