Who will say go?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Innspiration for anyone who wants to do anything...
Who will say go?
[h3][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Here's a little-spoken truth learned via crowdsourcing:[/COLOR]
Most people don't believe they are capable of initiative.
Initiating a project, a blog, a wikipedia article, a family journey. Initiating something even when you're not putatitively in charge.
At the same time, almost all people believe they are capable of editing, giving feedback or merely criticizing.
So finding people to fix your typos is easy.
A few people are vandals, happy to anonymously attack or add graffiti or useless noise.
If your project depends on individuals to step up and say, "This is what I believe, here is my plan, here is my original thought, here is my tribe," then you need to expect that most people will see that offer and decline to take it.
read more here
[/h3]

Yes it is frustrating and if we took all that criticism we would NEVER SAY GO AND NEVER GO!
I added the innteractiveinns blog to this forum as a resource and it immediately got a criticism about the header, not an offer to help, not an offer to be involved, just a criticism that sits there on the resource page.
Listen folks, there are so many who are good at batting you down, they can sit back and give feedback and never STEP OUT.
STEP OUT AND GO, who cares what anyone says, no matter what the idea there will be the naysayers and plenty of them, those who won't stick their own neck out, ever.
JUST DO IT!
GO FOR THE GUSTO as my Dad always says. In the end it is YOU who answers for you, for what you did and how you did it. No one else is standing there to take the credit or shame, as I always say "When the boat comes out of the water everyone dissappears!" What does that mean? They are there for the fun out on the water, but the hard work to clean the salt water off it means they suddenly have other engagements. Don't be afraid of hard work,the secret of success "HARD WORK."
  • I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. ~Thomas Jefferson
  • Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison
  • Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Plough deep while sluggards sleep. ~Benjamin Franklin
I liked this article, I like positive encouragement, Lord knows it is rare! I hope it ingites a fire for you...You can do it, just say GO and go for it!
cheers.gif

Yes it is frustrating and if we took all that criticism we would NEVER SAY GO AND NEVER GO!
I added the innteractiveinns blog to this forum as a resource and it immediately got a criticism about the header, not an offer to help, not an offer to be involved, just a criticism that sits there on the resource page.
Listen folks, there are so many who are good at batting you down, they can sit back and give feedback and never STEP OUT.
STEP OUT AND GO, who cares what anyone says, no matter what the idea there will be the naysayers and plenty of them, those who won't stick their own neck out, ever.
JUST DO IT!
GO FOR THE GUSTO as my Dad always says. In the end it is YOU who answers for you, for what you did and how you did it. No one else is standing there to take the credit or shame, as I always say "When the boat comes out of the water everyone dissappears!" What does that mean? They are there for the fun out on the water, but the hard work to clean the salt water off it means they suddenly have other engagements. Don't be afraid of hard work,the secret of success "HARD WORK."
  • I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. ~Thomas Jefferson
  • Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison
  • Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. ~Abraham Lincoln
I liked this article, I like positive encouragement, Lord knows it is rare! I hope it ingites a fire for you...You can do it, just say GO and go for it!
cheers.gif
Joey Bloggs said:

I added the innteractiveinns blog to this forum as a resource
thumbs_up.gif

JUST DO IT!
cheers.gif
I am very glad you ignored any naysayer with the Innteractiveinnsblog. I wish I had the writing ability you have. I am a contributor, not enough focus to do what you do. I really think the answer to anyone who says it cannot be done OR it will never fly is this: Why not!

I use the phrase "well im doing it do either help or clear out of my way!" also I find an effective technique for not listening to nay sayers is to put your fingers in your ears and go "la la la" until they go away. Also I find nay sayers have dull boring lives cos they will never try anything and don't want you making the look bad by pulling it off.

two phrases I have banned from my life are "oh no you don't want to do that" and "oh no i couldn't possibly!" I won't say um and I won't do um. I used to have an aunt who said "oh no you don't want to do that" a lot until finally I said "Yes I do thats why I am doing it" I thought she was going to spurt tea out of her nose!

JUST DO IT!
cheers.gif
Interesting how we're pushing ourselves to do more when, if you look around, all of us on here TOOK the step. Either we quit jobs and started this B&B life, we did the B&B life and quit that to do something else again, we're baby-stepping our way out of one job into another or we're getting our ducks in a row to make a change.
Every last one of us has 'gone'! (Some might add 'crazy'.)

I once made a very geometric art piece that I was going to give to a family member. I beloned to a group of like-minded artists so I brought the piece to show at a meeting. Rather than comment positively on the graphic quality of the piece several in the group asked if the recipient was blind. The assumption for those few people being that 'art' looks a certain way and no other.
I was stunned to say the least as I had never heard anyone in the group make such rude comments ever before. I'm still doing the geometric art, they didn't stop me, but I'm that kind of person.

I once made a very geometric art piece that I was going to give to a family member. I beloned to a group of like-minded artists so I brought the piece to show at a meeting. Rather than comment positively on the graphic quality of the piece several in the group asked if the recipient was blind. The assumption for those few people being that 'art' looks a certain way and no other.
I was stunned to say the least as I had never heard anyone in the group make such rude comments ever before. I'm still doing the geometric art, they didn't stop me, but I'm that kind of person..
art is a million billion different things and it could be designed to be a tactile experience plus just cos say I don't like it doesn't mean that I can't appreciate it (the work/concept/idea) what a bunch of philistines.

Yup-glad that we did what we did and most said exactly what you all said-thats insane. Although my parents said "go for it" and we did, we learned and now we work for someone else and now by November we will be doing either the same job or something different.
Its a journey this life and now that we have no small children to worry about- ITS LETS GO GO GO who cares what other people think. Negativity is everywhere more than positivity-we work for an owner that is sometimes more "negative" than positive...oh well we can leave that behind to.
Whats Next...thats in our vocabulary now. and when we're done-we'll write a book-hopefully they will still be around with all this computer stuff who knows!

JUST DO IT!
cheers.gif
Interesting how we're pushing ourselves to do more when, if you look around, all of us on here TOOK the step. Either we quit jobs and started this B&B life, we did the B&B life and quit that to do something else again, we're baby-stepping our way out of one job into another or we're getting our ducks in a row to make a change.
Ike included my current life status in her post "....we did the B&B life and quit that to do something else again"... THANK YOU!!
Yep, the active group on this forum are definitely "go-getters"! I also believe that change can be a good thing.
regular_smile.gif

JUST DO IT!
cheers.gif
Alibi Ike said:
And all the while we are making the change there are those that will tell us we will fail. "you can't" "won't work" etc.

I think some of those who were our nay-sayers, were looking at themselves doing this and couldn't see themselves doing what we do. :) That's why there's chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla - a flavor for everyone!

Okay now to get BEYOND OPENING OR BUYING AN INN...Funny how that was what came to mind to everyone, I was not even thinking about that, cuz we just do what we want to do. Major things what anyone says is not a concern to me, I don't seek council other than within my marriage and praying about it. I don't ask "people" outside the situation, help us all if I did! I would be where now? Sheesh.
But what about the REST OF YOUR LIFE?
Things you are involved with? I know you innkeepers are busy people and have your hands in many different things throughout the year, from volunteering to doing things with groups or orgs you support and like.
What things do you wanna just say GO and let the naysayers squabble and grumble behind in your wake?

Okay now to get BEYOND OPENING OR BUYING AN INN...Funny how that was what came to mind to everyone, I was not even thinking about that, cuz we just do what we want to do. Major things what anyone says is not a concern to me, I don't seek council other than within my marriage and praying about it. I don't ask "people" outside the situation, help us all if I did! I would be where now? Sheesh.
Things you are involved with? I know you innkeepers are busy people and have your hands in many different things throughout the year, from volunteering to doing things with groups or orgs you support and like.
What things do you wanna just say GO and let the naysayers squabble and grumble behind in your wake?.
Joey Bloggs said:
I have never planned a day in my life. So, when guests ask what we're going to do next we really don't know. Something will come up, it always has. Like this came up when other doors closed.

What things do you wanna just say GO and let the naysayers squabble and grumble behind in your wake?.
I learned a long time ago that if I try to "steer my boat" I land on the rocks real quick. I firmly believe I am wherever I am at any given time because I am supposed to be there doing whatever I am doing. I know I was meant to come to my City because so much os what a certain friend & I discussed as we walked the rail-trail at 6 AM for 5 or 6 years has now either come to pass or will. And wonderful other ideas have come to fruition once things got started.
I feel there is something else I am supposed to do after innkeeping. I thought I was supposed to put my inn on the market in 2011 but now I think that was just to get me ready to do it when the time comes. I have come to realize that my next phase will not begin until I am a solo act. DH does not like change and NO ONE in their right mind would be able to see past all the crap in the owner's quarters - the "living room?" is actually an art studio full of easels, paintings, props, books, etc. The bedroom is full of assistance items (personal pot (retained for future need), walker, wheelchair - all currently serving DH as valet chairs) in addition to my cedar chest, our dressers, bed, file cabinet, etc... and a what will someday be a lovely office area/sun room once the tools, vice, work benches, and assorted items of equipment are removed. All of which must wait for room temerature to set in. As often as I contemplate the joys of widowhood - I actually am in no hurry. All will happen when it is supposed to - and what is supposed to. I will be "up" for it when it does. Ready to GO......

Joey Bloggs said:
I have never planned a day in my life. So, when guests ask what we're going to do next we really don't know. Something will come up, it always has. Like this came up when other doors closed.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I didn't mean THE FUTURE, I mean EVERYTHING ELSE< THE REST that is not innkeeping. I speak a different language to y'all.
Is there anything else in your life you are involved with? That is what I am talkin' bout.
cry_smile.gif

<BEAT HEAD HERE>
Okay on the same topic, sort of, this is the way it is, this profession, it can be ALL CONSUMING. If you don't make a concerted effort to do something NOT associated with this business, then it will suck you under. Has anyone besides me felt the vortex? So then do we just bang around off one thing to the next like a pinball machine or do we step out and GO!
It is way to easy to be reactonary only, to light up (again the pin ball anaolgy) as each circumstance comes against us or we against it, trying to get to the prize.
What about the REST of your life? If there something you want to do and think you have to wait til innkeeping is over?
GO! I say, just do it! GO FOR IT! ENHANCE YOUR LIFE by doing other stuff, stepping away from the duster...as much as you can (I know there are times when we can-not, ever)
vortex.jpg

Back