Who will say go?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<BEAT HEAD HERE>
Okay on the same topic, sort of, this is the way it is, this profession, it can be ALL CONSUMING. If you don't make a concerted effort to do something NOT associated with this business, then it will suck you under. Has anyone besides me felt the vortex? So then do we just bang around off one thing to the next like a pinball machine or do we step out and GO!
It is way to easy to be reactonary only, to light up (again the pin ball anaolgy) as each circumstance comes against us or we against it, trying to get to the prize.
What about the REST of your life? If there something you want to do and think you have to wait til innkeeping is over?
GO! I say, just do it! GO FOR IT! ENHANCE YOUR LIFE by doing other stuff, stepping away from the duster...as much as you can (I know there are times when we can-not, ever)
vortex.jpg
If you mean involved with - Lord YES! I am doing what I want there right now! I thought you meant after innkeeping! I am so involved in this City that I am like
potty-mouth.gif
- I am everywhere! And it is because I WANT to be. Many people think I am nuts (they are right) but I know I only have an alloted amount of time and it is incumbent to me (because of who and what I am) to do things that will make a difference 0 to the good I hope. I will leave nothing behind to announce I was here or had anything to do with whatever but it will be here and that is what matters. Other than that, going to Germany and seeing some of Europe was something I dreamed of and did not expect to do - and Shazam! thanks to cousin Fred I am going. I have called him my big brother for years and he never calls me anything except Sis (although after a month, that may change!). Oops! Off to Kiwanis. Guests left around 10:30 saying, "We will be back." Turned out OK. They will be welcomed.

Okay now to get BEYOND OPENING OR BUYING AN INN...Funny how that was what came to mind to everyone, I was not even thinking about that, cuz we just do what we want to do. Major things what anyone says is not a concern to me, I don't seek council other than within my marriage and praying about it. I don't ask "people" outside the situation, help us all if I did! I would be where now? Sheesh.
But what about the REST OF YOUR LIFE?
Things you are involved with? I know you innkeepers are busy people and have your hands in many different things throughout the year, from volunteering to doing things with groups or orgs you support and like.
What things do you wanna just say GO and let the naysayers squabble and grumble behind in your wake?.
Joey Bloggs said:
I have never planned a day in my life. So, when guests ask what we're going to do next we really don't know. Something will come up, it always has. Like this came up when other doors closed.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I have never planned a day in my life. So, when guests ask what we're going to do next we really don't know. Something will come up, it always has. Like this came up when other doors closed.
I didn't mean THE FUTURE, I mean EVERYTHING ELSE< THE REST that is not innkeeping. I speak a different language to y'all.
Is there anything else in your life you are involved with? That is what I am talkin' bout.
cry_smile.gif

For the next few weeks, yes, there is something else I'm involved with but it is totally related to my day job. I belong to 2 book groups outside my day job. That's it. I call my mother everyday. Otherwise, nothing, nada, zip, zilch.
Ya know, if you find yourself beating your head against the monitor because we don't get what you're saying, it's because you're not clear about what you MEAN. (Take it from someone who hears that regularly at home. I speak Greek, I know I do, because I always have to repeat in different words what I just said to get my point across.)
There was no context to your question so everyone took it to mean whatever THEY were thinking about.

I am expanding this year (things I do) I have joined the B&B and Guest house committee and am probably going to join the chamber of commerce as well I am also trying to involve the Self catering people as much as possible (where you have a flat/cottage/house you rent out daily/weekly/monthly) as they have similar needs and are often left out in the cold.

<BEAT HEAD HERE>
Okay on the same topic, sort of, this is the way it is, this profession, it can be ALL CONSUMING. If you don't make a concerted effort to do something NOT associated with this business, then it will suck you under. Has anyone besides me felt the vortex? So then do we just bang around off one thing to the next like a pinball machine or do we step out and GO!
It is way to easy to be reactonary only, to light up (again the pin ball anaolgy) as each circumstance comes against us or we against it, trying to get to the prize.
What about the REST of your life? If there something you want to do and think you have to wait til innkeeping is over?
GO! I say, just do it! GO FOR IT! ENHANCE YOUR LIFE by doing other stuff, stepping away from the duster...as much as you can (I know there are times when we can-not, ever)
vortex.jpg
Lovely Vortex--do you need to step away from the coffee? Seriously, I agree. It is not a good thing to have the business be your all. YOU ARE NOT YOUR BUSINESS. Personally, I recently volunteered to help root out invasive species (literally) by joining an "emergency response team." (I also grow rare woodland plants, including ladyslipper orchids.) We help monitor archaelolgical sites in the area. Another part of me feels strongly about reading. I know of a young man who needs to learn how to read, and I am planning on teaching him, although he doesn't know this yet.... Hope this is what you mean, foster the other parts of yourself...

<BEAT HEAD HERE>
vortex.jpg
I feel like I was spending way too much time in all other areas of my life - I was being sucked into a vortex of my own making.
I'm now trying not to be a planner and be more spontaneous....
Maybe you'll be hitting your head on the monitor even more when you read this. lol!

Back