Whole house with dinner?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The number one reason I don't like groups (of any size...even two couples) is that they tend to drink ALOT, stay up late, be loud and generally fray my nerves. Even if they don't make a mess or need alot of attention, our place is small and there's no way to get away from it, no way to even get up to bed without having to go through the common areas where they congregate..
This is what we've found here too. I really hate when it's just two or three rooms together, I stay up all night worrying that they are disturbing the other 6 rooms.
We had three rooms check in together today, they only live an hour from here. They were completely obnoxious during check-in (I LOVE when they ask 100 questions and don't listen to the answer to a single one of them because they're so busy twittering at each other) and mentioned several times how much wine they have with them so I'm dreading later tonight. Then just checked in an absolutely adorable couple on their "babymoon" who of course are staying in the room right above the common areas so I'll need to police later tonight to be sure the three couples are behaving.
You know, when we travel with other innkeeping friends we generally bring a lot of wine, cheese, crackers, hors d'oeuvres and I don't think we've ever bothered anyone. We've always tried not to monopolize the common spaces, jamming ourselves into a corner somewhere or going out for dinner and drinks and then saving the wine for the afternoons. However, now that I read this, it probably doesn't gladden the hearts of the innkeepers whose place we're staying at when we tell them we put a dent in the wine supply at the grocery store down the street. I guess we'll stop mentioning that.
Hey, maybe that babymoon couple will be the problem and the other 3 couples will be asking you to knock on their door!
If all of my guests had the sensibilities of innkeepers I would never need to be posting anything on this forum
teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
If all of my guests had the sensibilities of innkeepers I would never need to be posting anything on this forum
teeth_smile.gif
You still would and here's how I know...me. Joey makes her bed, I don't. Joey keeps her room clean, I don't. You'd still get people who you would shake your head at. 'They KNOW better! What is WRONG with them?'
Gomez opens his suitcase on the floor and leaves it there the whole time, opened up so even WE have to step over it.
Oops, I bet you'll now keep my name on one of those do not book lists. Rats.
Ha, ha, ha...DO NOT RENT to the Addams Family!
Don't forget that I don't do the housekeeping so I'd be none the wiser. I just have a hard time imagining an innkeeper being rowdy or disruptive to a full house of other guests.
Rupert said:
Don't forget that I don't do the housekeeping so I'd be none the wiser. I just have a hard time imagining an innkeeper being rowdy or disruptive to a full house of other guests.
THAT right there is the secret to successful innkeeping...someone ELSE does the housekeeping. Had my housekeeper come to me and said, 'What sould I do with these duvets I found in the bed?' I would have told her to throw them in with the rest of the wash and no harm, no foul. Because we were coming off our BEST summer ever, and with NO housekeeping help at all, I was dead on my feet and EVERYTHING bothered me.
Morticia said:
THAT right there is the secret to successful innkeeping...someone ELSE does the housekeeping.
I guess success (like happiness) really is subjective. Our business is small to avoid having employees. After nearly 20 years dealing with housekeepers and other staff, I feel most successful exactly because I do it all. Sure, a bigger place with more rooms and staff would make more money, but would no longer be fun for me.
LB, you might be surprised. In a 7 or 8 room inn, you would still have all the close guest contact you do now. You just would have housekeepers to help out...
Innkeeper To Go said:
In a 7 or 8 room inn, you would still have all the close guest contact you do now. You just would have housekeepers to help out...
That is correct. We have housekeepers with six rooms running about 50% occupancy. They have little or no contact with our guests, and we do all of the reservations (phone and online), checkins, breakfast prep and service and customer service.
Now, if you don't want staff because you don't want the hassle of managing anyone else - that's a different story. We have been pretty fortunate with our hires but some have been a nightmare. A smaller or less busy inn does allow you the freedom of not managing others.
muirford said:
if you don't want staff because you don't want the hassle of managing anyone else - that's a different story. We have been pretty fortunate with our hires but some have been a nightmare. A smaller or less busy inn does allow you the freedom of not managing others.
100% correct...and I repeat: "Our business is small to avoid having employees". Meaning, it's that way on purpose. Been there, done that, don't want to go back.

I was going to say I wouldn't take the booking but see it's already set. We charge extra for a group taking the whole house (it's primarily a cleaning/laundry/supplies fee because they use a lot more than a typical full house would).
I would say no amount of profit would be worth me doing all that extra work to prepare a dinner, so if you're comfortable with a caterer using the guest kitchen then go for it. I agree that you should contract with the caterer directly to avoid and "misunderstandings"..
Gomez already offered a discount. I always tell him no discounts for whole house bookings as there's a lot more to work around but he doesn't see it that way. It's all the same to him. Clean the bathroom x 7. He doesn't 'see' the mess anywhere else unless it's the kitchen.
Morticia said:
Gomez already offered a discount. I always tell him no discounts for whole house bookings as there's a lot more to work around but he doesn't see it that way. It's all the same to him. Clean the bathroom x 7. He doesn't 'see' the mess anywhere else unless it's the kitchen.
Perhaps he needs some 'hands on' initiative, to be convinced. Usually whole house booking are a huge pain because folks seem to think with their 'exclusive' booking that allows them free rein to run wild under your roof. Weddings especially.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Morticia said:
Perhaps he needs some 'hands on' initiative, to be convinced. Usually whole house booking are a huge pain because folks seem to think with their 'exclusive' booking that allows them free rein to run wild under your roof. Weddings especially.
Even the whole house wedding where he was almost traumatized by the absolute MESS in the bathrooms, didn't make a difference. In a way it's a good thing to have this tunnel vision. He goes in, gets the job done and gets out. Me, I shriek and throw things and then still have to go in and get the job done.
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Even the whole house wedding where he was almost traumatized by the absolute MESS in the bathrooms, didn't make a difference. In a way it's a good thing to have this tunnel vision. He goes in, gets the job done and gets out. Me, I shriek and throw things and then still have to go in and get the job done.
In my 12 years of Innkeeping, NEVER have I had such a guest as I experienced this morning. This couple is in for a wedding and requested a breakfast basket be delivered at 10 am. I went to pick up the basked that was replaced outside their door and it and its contents are covered in vomit.
I am seeing RED! grrrrrrrrrrr!!!
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
In my 12 years of Innkeeping, NEVER have I had such a guest as I experienced this morning. This couple is in for a wedding and requested a breakfast basket be delivered at 10 am. I went to pick up the basked that was replaced outside their door and it and its contents are covered in vomit.
come on, that is ridiculous. you have to be kidding, would you not ask someone like that to LEAVE? SURELY.
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
come on, that is ridiculous. you have to be kidding, would you not ask someone like that to LEAVE? SURELY.
Ridiculous? No, Its appalling! They were here for only 1 night and checked out. Whats the icing on the cake? They are restaurant owners from Phila, and left their card on the dresser with an invite to come and dine there!
Can you believe it? That is some nerve.
Do you think they meant that as some sort of weird apology?
I mean, how could anyone think it was okay to vomit into the basket and leave it outside their door for you to clean up?
Worst. Guests. Ever.

I was going to say I wouldn't take the booking but see it's already set. We charge extra for a group taking the whole house (it's primarily a cleaning/laundry/supplies fee because they use a lot more than a typical full house would).
I would say no amount of profit would be worth me doing all that extra work to prepare a dinner, so if you're comfortable with a caterer using the guest kitchen then go for it. I agree that you should contract with the caterer directly to avoid and "misunderstandings"..
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Ridiculous? No, Its appalling! They were here for only 1 night and checked out. Whats the icing on the cake? They are restaurant owners from Phila, and left their card on the dresser with an invite to come and dine there!
I mean, how could anyone think it was okay to vomit into the basket and leave it outside their door for you to clean up?
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Its very upsetting. I'm tempted to accept their offer just so I can return the favor.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Its very upsetting. I'm tempted to accept their offer just so I can return the favor.
It's hard to imagine what they could have been thinking.
But I could sure see how you might think the card was actually left as some sort of challenge.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
But I could sure see how you might think the card was actually left as some sort of challenge.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Who knows? You can't explain crazy. It would have been easier to deal with if they at least left a gratuity....but nooooo.

The number one reason I don't like groups (of any size...even two couples) is that they tend to drink ALOT, stay up late, be loud and generally fray my nerves. Even if they don't make a mess or need alot of attention, our place is small and there's no way to get away from it, no way to even get up to bed without having to go through the common areas where they congregate..
This is what we've found here too. I really hate when it's just two or three rooms together, I stay up all night worrying that they are disturbing the other 6 rooms.
We had three rooms check in together today, they only live an hour from here. They were completely obnoxious during check-in (I LOVE when they ask 100 questions and don't listen to the answer to a single one of them because they're so busy twittering at each other) and mentioned several times how much wine they have with them so I'm dreading later tonight. Then just checked in an absolutely adorable couple on their "babymoon" who of course are staying in the room right above the common areas so I'll need to police later tonight to be sure the three couples are behaving.
You know, when we travel with other innkeeping friends we generally bring a lot of wine, cheese, crackers, hors d'oeuvres and I don't think we've ever bothered anyone. We've always tried not to monopolize the common spaces, jamming ourselves into a corner somewhere or going out for dinner and drinks and then saving the wine for the afternoons. However, now that I read this, it probably doesn't gladden the hearts of the innkeepers whose place we're staying at when we tell them we put a dent in the wine supply at the grocery store down the street. I guess we'll stop mentioning that.
Hey, maybe that babymoon couple will be the problem and the other 3 couples will be asking you to knock on their door!
teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
You still would and here's how I know...me. Joey makes her bed, I don't. Joey keeps her room clean, I don't. You'd still get people who you would shake your head at. 'They KNOW better! What is WRONG with them?'
Gomez opens his suitcase on the floor and leaves it there the whole time, opened up so even WE have to step over it.
Rupert said:
THAT right there is the secret to successful innkeeping...someone ELSE does the housekeeping. Had my housekeeper come to me and said, 'What sould I do with these duvets I found in the bed?' I would have told her to throw them in with the rest of the wash and no harm, no foul. Because we were coming off our BEST summer ever, and with NO housekeeping help at all, I was dead on my feet and EVERYTHING bothered me.
In the off-season I am in the housekeeper and I am thanking my lucky stars with every room I flip that I have my help during the busy season. I just don't need to know that Lady Jane is taking prenatal vitamins or Lord John can't aim very well with the toilet...I HATE knowing these things about guests and am so glad I don't have to regularly deal with them, I would go mad.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Who knows? You can't explain crazy. It would have been easier to deal with if they at least left a gratuity....but nooooo.
Innkeeper To Go said:
I am not on the same page, obviously, unless it is the Ritz at $10,000 a night and they are rock stars or something who are in the habit of trashing rooms - but your place is a B&B, it is not overly large and distant. There is no way I would allow that sort of thing.
It might be okay (easier to deal with) if they at least left a gratuity? As I say, pull the other leg. You have to be jesting when you say that and it is not coming through in this medium.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
I am not on the same page, obviously, unless it is the Ritz at $10,000 a night and they are rock stars or something who are in the habit of trashing rooms - but your place is a B&B, it is not overly large and distant. There is no way I would allow that sort of thing.
It might be okay (easier to deal with) if they at least left a gratuity? As I say, pull the other leg. You have to be jesting when you say that and it is not coming through in this medium.
Joey Bloggs said:
I'll have to say, JB, that FD's humor as well as her frustration came through loud and clear to me.
And I just don't see where she allowed anything. Guests are checking out right after breakfast. They leave an attrocious mess in the breakfast basket but are checking out.
I don't know what FD could have done at that point, other than make a scene that would do no one any good.
IMHO.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
You should at least charge them for the basket, there's no way I would re-use it. Gross.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
You should at least charge them for the basket, there's no way I would re-use it. Gross.
Agreed.
I don't think there's enough Anti-Icky-Poo in the world to make me want to put food in that basket ever again.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Agreed.
I don't think there's enough Anti-Icky-Poo in the world to make me want to put food in that basket ever again.
I don't think I would have even had the stomach to try to clean it, would have just pitched it in a trash bag to prevent myself from upchucking.
omg_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Its not an issue of "allowing" it. As you know, in this business things happen and we are left to put on our big girl panties and deal with it. If this was a multiple night stay, it goes without saying that they would have been asked to leave.
I am not sure what you are insinuating by the comment to 'pull the other leg'.
If you are implying that this is a fictitious situation, I can assure you that my imagination does not stretch that far.

teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
Rupert said:
Morticia said:
THAT right there is the secret to successful innkeeping...someone ELSE does the housekeeping.
I guess success (like happiness) really is subjective. Our business is small to avoid having employees. After nearly 20 years dealing with housekeepers and other staff, I feel most successful exactly because I do it all. Sure, a bigger place with more rooms and staff would make more money, but would no longer be fun for me.
LB, you might be surprised. In a 7 or 8 room inn, you would still have all the close guest contact you do now. You just would have housekeepers to help out...
Innkeeper To Go said:
For me, that's the whole point. I can be kind and gracious to everyone and not have to know they trashed their room. (Unless it is so bad the housekeeper comes to me crying she doesn't know where to start it's so bad...which has happened.)

teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
Rupert said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
In a 7 or 8 room inn, you would still have all the close guest contact you do now. You just would have housekeepers to help out...
That is correct. We have housekeepers with six rooms running about 50% occupancy. They have little or no contact with our guests, and we do all of the reservations (phone and online), checkins, breakfast prep and service and customer service.
Now, if you don't want staff because you don't want the hassle of managing anyone else - that's a different story. We have been pretty fortunate with our hires but some have been a nightmare. A smaller or less busy inn does allow you the freedom of not managing others.
muirford said:
if you don't want staff because you don't want the hassle of managing anyone else - that's a different story. We have been pretty fortunate with our hires but some have been a nightmare. A smaller or less busy inn does allow you the freedom of not managing others.
100% correct...and I repeat: "Our business is small to avoid having employees". Meaning, it's that way on purpose. Been there, done that, don't want to go back.
Little Blue said:
Sounds like your place is the perfect size for your needs then. Who could ask for more than that?

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Rupert said:
really. right into a trash bag and out the door.
curious ... was their other evidence of their being sick in the room? or just (eww) in the basket? makes me sick just to think about this.

teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
Rupert said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
For me it is not the managing of anyone, I do not want the hassle of workman's comp, FICA, unemployment, etc. I stay small so I do not have to get involved with all that paperwork.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Worst. Guests. Ever.
Rupert said:
really. right into a trash bag and out the door.
curious ... was their other evidence of their being sick in the room? or just (eww) in the basket? makes me sick just to think about this.
Yes. There was evidence in the sink that they tried to wipe up with towels. The room had open bottles of very strong (14.5% alchohol) Portuguese wine from their Portuguese restaurant (I presume). Not a pretty sight. Plus the smell. I am grateful for the fact that they missed the quilt and shams that are dry clean only.

Back