Whole house with dinner?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you make dinner for guests who request it? How much do you charge per person? Would you let the guests make their own dinner? (Upcharge for the clean up?) Would you allow a caterer in your kitchen? (Upcharge for clean up?) How about a whole house booking with dinner? Separate children's menu?
Parameters: the house is already booked. Just want to know about feeding them.

Whole house bookings are always so different that I always find I'm allowing them to do things that normal guests wouldn't be allowed.
Like having a caterer use the kitchen. With a cleaning fee, of course. And with a contract directly with the caterer.
The other option is to hire your own caterer to do the same, which is so much easier than doing the meals yourself if that's not your custom.
Depending on the size of the inn, though, cooking meals for the whole group may not be such a big deal for you. And you'll get the profit that way, instead of the caterer.
How much to charge depends on so many things but most especially the menu and just how much work you're willing to do.
No matter how you cut it, though, additional meals multiply your work. If you can handle the work and have an interest in making a bit more money out of an already-booked whole house rental, why not?

Whole house bookings are always so different that I always find I'm allowing them to do things that normal guests wouldn't be allowed.
Like having a caterer use the kitchen. With a cleaning fee, of course. And with a contract directly with the caterer.
The other option is to hire your own caterer to do the same, which is so much easier than doing the meals yourself if that's not your custom.
Depending on the size of the inn, though, cooking meals for the whole group may not be such a big deal for you. And you'll get the profit that way, instead of the caterer.
How much to charge depends on so many things but most especially the menu and just how much work you're willing to do.
No matter how you cut it, though, additional meals multiply your work. If you can handle the work and have an interest in making a bit more money out of an already-booked whole house rental, why not?.
Innkeeper To Go said:
If you can handle the work and have an interest in making a bit more money out of an already-booked whole house rental, why not?
Here, we would not be allowed to do so, against the rules!

I was going to say I wouldn't take the booking but see it's already set. We charge extra for a group taking the whole house (it's primarily a cleaning/laundry/supplies fee because they use a lot more than a typical full house would).
I would say no amount of profit would be worth me doing all that extra work to prepare a dinner, so if you're comfortable with a caterer using the guest kitchen then go for it. I agree that you should contract with the caterer directly to avoid and "misunderstandings".

We have done this by hiring a caterer to prepare food and we do the set up, serving and cleanup. Our fee depends on the number of guests, either a flat fee for room use or $3-5 a head depending on the set up - formal vs casual, buffet vs table service. (of course the higher price of the two is the one charged). We usually the guest what price range they want to be in, then get a selection of meals from the caterer and have the one in charge make their selections. Note, it is nice to stick with the same caterer once established as they learn your kitchen and your quriks making it an easy night.
My caterer prepares and cooks the food in their shop and then brings everything here to heat. For serving pieces, we have most of what is needed and just coordinate what is needed but most caterers have their own if you do not and will place the charge (if any) for use in with the quote.
I would never let my guests use my kitchen, too much liability there as well as follow up clean up...you can never be sure what they used or touched and then put up without cleaning it properly. Just not a good idea. Some insurance companies and/or health codes forbid it as well.

I was going to say I wouldn't take the booking but see it's already set. We charge extra for a group taking the whole house (it's primarily a cleaning/laundry/supplies fee because they use a lot more than a typical full house would).
I would say no amount of profit would be worth me doing all that extra work to prepare a dinner, so if you're comfortable with a caterer using the guest kitchen then go for it. I agree that you should contract with the caterer directly to avoid and "misunderstandings"..
Rupert said:
I would say no amount of profit would be worth me doing all that extra work to prepare a dinner, so if you're comfortable with a caterer using the guest kitchen then go for it. I agree that you should contract with the caterer directly to avoid and "misunderstandings".
Rupert, please help me understand why you charge more for a group? Is it due to your location where they normally spend all their time there? For me, them do not seem to make any more of a mess than when I am full with individual bookings. In fact I have found it to be much easier. They are usually all gone at the same time providing us with more quiet time, easier to go do all rooms rather than spuradic. I will say that when everything is HERE, I am usually burning the wick at both ends in keeping things neat..but do not find that they use more supplies or create more laundry that any other full house.

No matter how you cut it, though, additional meals multiply your work. If you can handle the work and have an interest in making a bit more money out of an already-booked whole house rental, why not?.
Innkeeper To Go said:
If you can handle the work and have an interest in making a bit more money out of an already-booked whole house rental, why not?
Little Blue said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Here either. In my state you must have a food license for each meal you serve. If you are licensed for lunch and dinner, state law requires you to have a full blown commercial kitchen.

I would say no amount of profit would be worth me doing all that extra work to prepare a dinner, so if you're comfortable with a caterer using the guest kitchen then go for it. I agree that you should contract with the caterer directly to avoid and "misunderstandings"..
Rupert said:
Rupert, please help me understand why you charge more for a group? Is it due to your location where they normally spend all their time there? For me, them do not seem to make any more of a mess than when I am full with individual bookings. In fact I have found it to be much easier. They are usually all gone at the same time providing us with more quiet time, easier to go do all rooms rather than spuradic. I will say that when everything is HERE, I am usually burning the wick at both ends in keeping things neat..but do not find that they use more supplies or create more laundry that any other full house.
Copperhead, Rupert is not alone in that. I know several inns who do the same. The reason is that groups are more work.
I've never charged more at any inn that I've managed. In fact, I've generally offered very small discounts. But that was really only done to discourage impromptu groups from forming, ie. them booking the whole inn anyway but doing it one room at a time to circumvent group policies.
At any rate, as much as it's not the way I handle groups, I well understand where Rupert is coming from. For a small inn in particular, groups are way way way more work.

Rupert said:
It is just related to our set-up here and who are "normal" guests are. Our area (versus our Inn) is the destination. So our Inn is geared to be a great home base for exploring all the things there are to do in the area. Our Inn is not designed to be the destination (no hot tubs, fireplaces, etc.). With a normal full house the people check in and head right back out, then come back in the evening and "hit the hay". They get up and eat breakfast, then go back out all day.
When a group is booking here (we've had different kinds, from family reunions to weddings to business weekends) the whole group is planning to BE here, the whole time they are renting. So they basically don't leave, which means they use more of everything (from food to room supplies like linens). It's also much more difficult because instead of serving breakfast from 8-9:30 AM, they all want to sit down at the same time which is harder for us. It's also much harder to clean their rooms because they DON'T LEAVE...so instead of cleaning you end up giving them extra sets of towels, etc. Just uses more stuff.
We have found also that regardless of the reason for the gathering, people just don't behave well when they have the entire house. They get this weird sense of entitlement and things get treated much harsher than they normally would. Honestly, we charge the extra fee because we DON'T want groups...so it acts as a deterrent, and if they book it anyway we get a little extra out of it (not much though after you cover all the extra "stuff" they consume). You have to be pretty far ahead of the game here to do a whole house booking on a weekend (at least 6 months) so that helps too, but you always get these people wanting to book a year out and it just causes a lot more headaches for us that we don't want to or need to deal with.

Gomez already offered a discount. I always tell him no discounts for whole house bookings as there's a lot more to work around but he doesn't see it that way. It's all the same to him. Clean the bathroom x 7. He doesn't 'see' the mess anywhere else unless it's the kitchen.

Gomez already offered a discount. I always tell him no discounts for whole house bookings as there's a lot more to work around but he doesn't see it that way. It's all the same to him. Clean the bathroom x 7. He doesn't 'see' the mess anywhere else unless it's the kitchen.
As much as I understand the whole concept of charging more for groups, discounts always seemed to me the best way to motivate the group to adher to your group policies.

Morticia said:
Perhaps he needs some 'hands on' initiative, to be convinced. Usually whole house booking are a huge pain because folks seem to think with their 'exclusive' booking that allows them free rein to run wild under your roof. Weddings especially.

The number one reason I don't like groups (of any size...even two couples) is that they tend to drink ALOT, stay up late, be loud and generally fray my nerves. Even if they don't make a mess or need alot of attention, our place is small and there's no way to get away from it, no way to even get up to bed without having to go through the common areas where they congregate.

Rupert said:
It is just related to our set-up here and who are "normal" guests are. Our area (versus our Inn) is the destination. So our Inn is geared to be a great home base for exploring all the things there are to do in the area. Our Inn is not designed to be the destination (no hot tubs, fireplaces, etc.). With a normal full house the people check in and head right back out, then come back in the evening and "hit the hay". They get up and eat breakfast, then go back out all day.
When a group is booking here (we've had different kinds, from family reunions to weddings to business weekends) the whole group is planning to BE here, the whole time they are renting. So they basically don't leave, which means they use more of everything (from food to room supplies like linens). It's also much more difficult because instead of serving breakfast from 8-9:30 AM, they all want to sit down at the same time which is harder for us. It's also much harder to clean their rooms because they DON'T LEAVE...so instead of cleaning you end up giving them extra sets of towels, etc. Just uses more stuff.
We have found also that regardless of the reason for the gathering, people just don't behave well when they have the entire house. They get this weird sense of entitlement and things get treated much harsher than they normally would. Honestly, we charge the extra fee because we DON'T want groups...so it acts as a deterrent, and if they book it anyway we get a little extra out of it (not much though after you cover all the extra "stuff" they consume). You have to be pretty far ahead of the game here to do a whole house booking on a weekend (at least 6 months) so that helps too, but you always get these people wanting to book a year out and it just causes a lot more headaches for us that we don't want to or need to deal with.
This guest was not entirely sure she would 'need' the whole inn so I'm glad Gomez explained she would have to book the whole inn anyway. He was very gracious in saying that her family would want to enjoy sitting around and eating their brekkie together and that could not happen if other guests were here who wanted to use the common spaces, too. Then he told me about the kids. Lots of them, I guess. That definitely means they take the whole house.
We had a big group during Christmas, same thing, whole house and we put all the tables together for them for brekkie. It worked out fine, they all fit.
Because they want dinner, we will need to have everything cleaned and the table reset by dinnertime. That's not our usual schedule. I would want to put out flowers, etc to make it special so there's an additional expense.
Plus the second load of dishes and getting it all set back up for brekkie again in the morning.
I have a list of caterers for her. I'll explain the caterer will have to call me to set everything up, to come by and take a look, etc.

Morticia said:
Perhaps he needs some 'hands on' initiative, to be convinced. Usually whole house booking are a huge pain because folks seem to think with their 'exclusive' booking that allows them free rein to run wild under your roof. Weddings especially.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Morticia said:
Even the whole house wedding where he was almost traumatized by the absolute MESS in the bathrooms, didn't make a difference. In a way it's a good thing to have this tunnel vision. He goes in, gets the job done and gets out. Me, I shriek and throw things and then still have to go in and get the job done.

The number one reason I don't like groups (of any size...even two couples) is that they tend to drink ALOT, stay up late, be loud and generally fray my nerves. Even if they don't make a mess or need alot of attention, our place is small and there's no way to get away from it, no way to even get up to bed without having to go through the common areas where they congregate..
This is what we've found here too. I really hate when it's just two or three rooms together, I stay up all night worrying that they are disturbing the other 6 rooms.
We had three rooms check in together today, they only live an hour from here. They were completely obnoxious during check-in (I LOVE when they ask 100 questions and don't listen to the answer to a single one of them because they're so busy twittering at each other) and mentioned several times how much wine they have with them so I'm dreading later tonight. Then just checked in an absolutely adorable couple on their "babymoon" who of course are staying in the room right above the common areas so I'll need to police later tonight to be sure the three couples are behaving.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Even the whole house wedding where he was almost traumatized by the absolute MESS in the bathrooms, didn't make a difference. In a way it's a good thing to have this tunnel vision. He goes in, gets the job done and gets out. Me, I shriek and throw things and then still have to go in and get the job done.
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
lol! At least you get it out of your system.
I just get really annoyed and then come here to vent. I would love to throw things and get away with it
....tee hee... (insert fun little room trashing fantasy here)

The number one reason I don't like groups (of any size...even two couples) is that they tend to drink ALOT, stay up late, be loud and generally fray my nerves. Even if they don't make a mess or need alot of attention, our place is small and there's no way to get away from it, no way to even get up to bed without having to go through the common areas where they congregate..
This is what we've found here too. I really hate when it's just two or three rooms together, I stay up all night worrying that they are disturbing the other 6 rooms.
We had three rooms check in together today, they only live an hour from here. They were completely obnoxious during check-in (I LOVE when they ask 100 questions and don't listen to the answer to a single one of them because they're so busy twittering at each other) and mentioned several times how much wine they have with them so I'm dreading later tonight. Then just checked in an absolutely adorable couple on their "babymoon" who of course are staying in the room right above the common areas so I'll need to police later tonight to be sure the three couples are behaving.
You know, when we travel with other innkeeping friends we generally bring a lot of wine, cheese, crackers, hors d'oeuvres and I don't think we've ever bothered anyone. We've always tried not to monopolize the common spaces, jamming ourselves into a corner somewhere or going out for dinner and drinks and then saving the wine for the afternoons. However, now that I read this, it probably doesn't gladden the hearts of the innkeepers whose place we're staying at when we tell them we put a dent in the wine supply at the grocery store down the street. I guess we'll stop mentioning that.
Hey, maybe that babymoon couple will be the problem and the other 3 couples will be asking you to knock on their door!

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Ya gotta love 'em. My hubs is exactly the same way and thank God or half the stuff wouldn't get done 'cause I'd be too busy throwing the hissy fit.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
lol! At least you get it out of your system.
I just get really annoyed and then come here to vent. I would love to throw things and get away with it
....tee hee... (insert fun little room trashing fantasy here)
In one case, I particularly went around and removed the duvets from the guest rooms for one wedding, given the way they had been treated in the past during big parties (crumpled up on the floor, walked on, dirty, etc). I missed one room for this wedding. So what did that couple do? They took BOTH of the duvets from the 2 beds and proceeded to stuff them into their bed and then have loud sex while everyone was getting ready for the wedding.
When I went into that room and saw the duvets IN the bed, after having heard the couple all over the house, I screamed. (Luckily everyone was gone.) I ripped the bed apart, threw the duvets down the stairs and let loose with a string of invective I forgot I knew.
I did feel better!
But I heard Gomez in their bathroom asking, 'WHAT are people thinking?' so it wasn't just me at that point.

Back