Who's Responsible?!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
this makes me so mad!
http://www1.cw56.com/news/articles/local/12004284900490/
high school kids used a local b&b, vacant for the winter, as their party house. and there has been NO talk of them paying for the damages and repairing the place. the pictures don't show it, but this place was always immaculately kept. so sad!

its breaking and entering and criminal damage! they should be prosicuted! isn't there finger prints! She can probably claim on her insurance but then will get her rates put up for that! If I was a parent of one of those kids I would make them pay at least a donation for it! And lost revenue!

The judge may make them responsible (at least some do), and depending on their ages could hold the parents responsible. If not, then it is civil court to get repayment.
Thought it was interesting - the reporter called the house abandoned with only someone coming by to feed the goats, the article only mentioned in the end that the place was seasonal.

The judge may make them responsible (at least some do), and depending on their ages could hold the parents responsible. If not, then it is civil court to get repayment.
Thought it was interesting - the reporter called the house abandoned with only someone coming by to feed the goats, the article only mentioned in the end that the place was seasonal..
Trouble is if the place was seasonal people will know that it is empty and take advantage. Surly they have someone who keeps a better eye on it than that? Love the way the kids all ran off an left the girl impailed! don't ring for an ambulance or anything!

Thought it was interesting - the reporter called the house abandoned with only someone coming by to feed the goats, the article only mentioned in the end that the place was seasonal..
Trouble is if the place was seasonal people will know that it is empty and take advantage. Surly they have someone who keeps a better eye on it than that? Love the way the kids all ran off an left the girl impailed! don't ring for an ambulance or anything!
Why would you not leave at least an alarm on for when you aren't there?

Why would you not leave at least an alarm on for when you aren't there?
Exactly! or one of the options here is to have it linked to the police station if it is set off they come out to check surely there must be something similar there.

they do have a caretaker who came by and plowed and shoveled so it would look 'lived in'. also sheep that are cared for daily and supposedly someone was checking on the house at the same time. their lights were on up until recently so i don't know what happened and why. hindsight is 20/20 ... an alarm would have been a great idea. i offered to run the place for them over the winter but they declined ... told me they had plans to sell. it's just sad to see the damage done and i hear 'on the street' what a joke the kids are making about it.

its breaking and entering and criminal damage! they should be prosicuted! isn't there finger prints! She can probably claim on her insurance but then will get her rates put up for that! If I was a parent of one of those kids I would make them pay at least a donation for it! And lost revenue!.
its breaking and entering and criminal damage! they should be prosicuted! isn't there finger prints! She can probably claim on her insurance but then will get her rates put up for that! If I was a parent of one of those kids I would make them pay at least a donation for it! And lost revenue!
Unfortunately, today parents are more likely to claim the kids did not do it and look the other way. I would be surprised if ANY of the parents made their kid step up and take the consequences or even "work off" damages.
As for a prev allusion to why no alarm: I do not have an alarm. Would not think of it in my area. The police dept is notified and as they drive past regularly and irregularly - no need.

Maybe you will be able to get a job housesitting for them this year!? Crazy not to have an alarm or someone watching a little more closely for them - lesson learned.

Back