Who's the bigger PITA...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
...the aggravating guests, or the husband who defends them?
I had guests arrive at 12:30 today (check in is at 3:00) with a 14 year old daughter in tow (booking was for 2 people, not 3). I looked frightful, in my grubby garb, bare feet, hair frizzed out about 4 inches, hot and sweating from stripping rooms.
They didn't even apologize for being early, just asked if they could check in. I told them their room wasn't ready but said they could come back in an hour, except that now I'd have to put them in a different room to accommodate the kid and set up a cot. The guy asked wife & daughter if anyone had to use the bathroom while they were here. I said sorry, we don't have spare bathrooms and none of the room baths are clean.
They asked what's there to do until they can come back. Of course in the confirmation email I sent --and he replied to-- I specifically said "Check in begins at 3pm. If you're in the area early, please don't come straight to the inn since there may be no one here to greet you. Instead, you may enjoy [then I list a variety of things to do, with directions]." Anyway, I gave them a map and info sheet, yada yada. Finally they leave.
So I go find hubby to get him to help me carry the cot up to the room and before I open my mouth he says "why didn't you let them use a bathroom?". Maybe I should have, but I tell him why I didn't. And he tells me I'm not being hospitable. That it's the little things that make a difference. That that wasn't a very nice first impression.
What?? [insert loud discussion here]
Will somebody who is not married to me please tell me how I could've handled those guests and their requests better.
Thanks.

Sorry, I'm married and I get the same thing...why didn't you let them use the toilet (get that, toilet, not bathroom) where we do the laundry? OK, how about because they're 3 hours early, that particular toilet has 3 bags of garbage piled up on it and the laundry is covering the floor and they KNOW what time check-in is.
I know, that only reinforces your side and doesn't tell you how to handle the situation better.

Also married. Men don't always get it. I won't let anyone in to use just any bathroom and especially not mine. If you seemed inhospitable then too bad. Life happens. Don't worry about it and just ignore your husband. :)

"Why didn't you let them use the bathroom?"
"Because, dear, you haven't cleaned it yet. Let me know when you've got that done, and I'll be happy to call them back!"

Also married. Men don't always get it. I won't let anyone in to use just any bathroom and especially not mine. If you seemed inhospitable then too bad. Life happens. Don't worry about it and just ignore your husband. :).
Men don't always get it.
Have you ever been in a men's room? That's why they don't care! As innkeepers, our dirtiest bathrooms are clean enough to eat off of when compared to an average public restroom!

I love this forum.
heart.gif

in response to the title, I thought this was going to be a game, I was going to say "I AM!"
devil_smile.gif

Also married. Men don't always get it. I won't let anyone in to use just any bathroom and especially not mine. If you seemed inhospitable then too bad. Life happens. Don't worry about it and just ignore your husband. :).
Men don't always get it.
Have you ever been in a men's room? That's why they don't care! As innkeepers, our dirtiest bathrooms are clean enough to eat off of when compared to an average public restroom!
My husband was, a long time ago, a flight attendant for Pan Am. He really does care about bathrooms and, fortunately, he also cares very much about our privacy and...he understands about not letting guests into rooms that aren't cleaned. He's rare though.
We had an unfortunate incident a few guests ago. Our guest rooms are on the main level of the house and the dining room and guest lounge on the second level. We had lady who had some sort of infirmity. She could go up and down stairs but maybe only once a day. She wanted to stay here in the guest lounge during the day and enjoy the view while her husband went out but she wanted access to a bathroom. The only bathroom we have other than guest room bathrooms is our ensuite so I told them I was sorry but there was no bathroom for her to use. They were a bit miffed I felt bad but only for about 2 seconds. It was my husband's day off and even if it wasn't I just couldn't have someone going into my bedroom and personal space.

Men don't always get it.
My husband was, a long time ago, a flight attendant for Pan Am. He really does care about bathrooms and, fortunately, he also cares very much about our privacy and...he understands about not letting guests into rooms that aren't cleaned. He's rare though.
We had an unfortunate incident a few guests ago. Our guest rooms are on the main level of the house and the dining room and guest lounge on the second level. We had lady who had some sort of infirmity. She could go up and down stairs but maybe only once a day. She wanted to stay here in the guest lounge during the day and enjoy the view while her husband went out but she wanted access to a bathroom. The only bathroom we have other than guest room bathrooms is our ensuite so I told them I was sorry but there was no bathroom for her to use. They were a bit miffed I felt bad but only for about 2 seconds. It was my husband's day off and even if it wasn't I just couldn't have someone going into my bedroom and personal space.
I totally agree, I wouldn't have let them in ours either...

Not sure I like all the men bashing going on here
tounge_smile.gif
I think it is more a matter of those who are directly involved in business of cleaning the bathroom get it. As head toilet cleaner at this B&B, I don't want anyone using a dirty bathroom and if it was clean I wouldn't want to have to re-clean it because I don't want anyone using a dirty bathroom.

You did the best you could :)
If the heated discussion occurred here and my dh told me I hadn't been hospitable, my answer would have been : "Well, if you hadn't answered the door and let them in, it wouldn't have even been an issue!" haha!

tounge_smile.gif
I think it is more a matter of those who are directly involved in business of cleaning the bathroom get it. As head toilet cleaner at this B&B, I don't want anyone using a dirty bathroom and if it was clean I wouldn't want to have to re-clean it because I don't want anyone using a dirty bathroom..
swirt said:
I think it is more a matter of those who are directly involved in business of cleaning the bathroom get it. As head toilet cleaner at this B&B, I don't want anyone using a dirty bathroom and if it was clean I wouldn't want to have to re-clean it because I don't want anyone using a dirty bathroom.
Dh does a lot of cleaning, sometimes he gets it, sometimes not. He cleans and dusts, then I go behind and put the soap by the sink and the makeup mirror on the other side where it won't get splashed. Today as we cleaned together he informed me that Limescale Man (referring to himself) always uses an abrasive cleaner on the toilet and that Windex (which I happened to have available) was unacceptable. So now I'm Windex Woman...
=)
Kk.

men and toilets - not a favorite combination of mine. They really have no room to discuss the subject whatsoever.
Except for a man who actually cleans a toilet that others use. His own toilet is not enough evidence that he gets it.

tounge_smile.gif
I think it is more a matter of those who are directly involved in business of cleaning the bathroom get it. As head toilet cleaner at this B&B, I don't want anyone using a dirty bathroom and if it was clean I wouldn't want to have to re-clean it because I don't want anyone using a dirty bathroom..
swirt said:
Dh does a lot of cleaning, sometimes he gets it, sometimes not. He cleans and dusts, then I go behind and put the soap by the sink and the makeup mirror on the other side where it won't get splashed. Today as we cleaned together he informed me that Limescale Man (referring to himself) always uses an abrasive cleaner on the toilet and that Windex (which I happened to have available) was unacceptable. So now I'm Windex Woman...
=)
Kk.
LOL....I'm glad to hear that the Adventures of Limescale Man will now be graced with a sidekick. ;)

Back