Who's the luckiest innkeeper? I'm the luckiest innkeeper !!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
Repeat guests. Arrived with home-made peach preserves, apple butter, two huge bags of frozen wild blueberries and ....
..... a box full of china. I unpacked it this morning and found 6 sets of 6 piece Royal Doulton place settings. Each set is different - but really beautiful. They are all bold, geometric designs - some great cobalt blues and ruby reds and most of them have little raised jewel-like dots on them.
I've always thought about doing mismatched place settings but was worried it might look a little too BoHo. There's no danger of that with these, so I'm really looking forward to having some fun with my tables.

cheers.gif

cheers.gif

How wonderful!!!! Show us a picture of your first mismatched table!
You ARE the luckiest (best) innkeeper!

This is all very wonderful it really is. But I have to ask you, did you charge them or give them a discount on their room.
This happened to us once when someone checked in and handed us 50 cups and saucers. I felt guily charging them but I did and gave them a gift cert. to use another time. Still I know we would not be expected to do that.

This is all very wonderful it really is. But I have to ask you, did you charge them or give them a discount on their room.
This happened to us once when someone checked in and handed us 50 cups and saucers. I felt guily charging them but I did and gave them a gift cert. to use another time. Still I know we would not be expected to do that..
Full charge - and they booked to come back in July at our high-season rates.
Here's how it went apparently ..... when they stayed this time last year they made up their mind to bring me the preserves, blueberries etc on their next trip. They were then going through some boxes their grandmother had given them and found the china. Neither of them (sisters) had any need for it and both pretty much had the same thought at the same time and said "Sarah !!!" They know my place, they know my dining room .... and they know me. I have one couple that likes to find me antique silver items for my mantel .... trouble is I'm running out of space. The good thing is that their stuff is way nicer than many of the things I had already - but I'm still running out of space.

How great is that?! I know that Martha Stewart once served a huge Thanksgiving feast and every place setting was different. Very cool.

Happy for you!
I,too, would like to see some pics. I always planned on using mixed patterns, I like the look.

This happened to us once when someone checked in and handed us 50 cups and saucers. I felt guily charging them but I did and gave them a gift cert. to use another time. Still I know we would not be expected to do that..
Full charge - and they booked to come back in July at our high-season rates.
Here's how it went apparently ..... when they stayed this time last year they made up their mind to bring me the preserves, blueberries etc on their next trip. They were then going through some boxes their grandmother had given them and found the china. Neither of them (sisters) had any need for it and both pretty much had the same thought at the same time and said "Sarah !!!" They know my place, they know my dining room .... and they know me. I have one couple that likes to find me antique silver items for my mantel .... trouble is I'm running out of space. The good thing is that their stuff is way nicer than many of the things I had already - but I'm still running out of space.
They obviously feel very fond of you to intrust their grandmother's china with you. They now know that it WILL be used and will be cared for. You are blessed with great guests. Now pass the jam!

Well that is great-unexpected "gifts" are the best! plus if you do the tables mismatched the guests may have something to talk about-those beautiful dishes!
Good for you :)

Back