Whose idea was this, anyway?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
Of the people who are regularly on this forum, was innkeeping your idea or your SO?

I am sure my dh will feel your pain, Swirt
cheers.gif

I am sure my dh will feel your pain, Swirt
cheers.gif
LOL It's not that I have "pain" it is just that both my DW and I underestimated how much it would impact OUR lives and way underestimated how much it would impact MY life since she was supposed to be the primary innkeeper.

Mine. The initial response was, "I am not going to risk everything I ever worked for on something that may not fly." That fact that he is still alive is testament ot my restraint (at the time I was the only one working). He said there had to be a hook - it could noit be that easy. There had to be taxes or something detrimental.
So we went to many seminars and workshops looking for "The Hook" without finding it until after we opened and "The Hook" was mine. Truth, my Mother is in her grave on rotate with laughter that I am now in a business where I HAVE to keep house! BOTH of us would miss it if we closed and it is the guests that we sould miss. I am about to start a new thread on what I mean.

Great question Penelope!
My answer: Unequivocally Both
Dh had a great line today - as he left for work and told the guests he had to head off and to enjoy their day and it was nice for them to dine with us. He got a tablefull of laughs and then winked at me as he walked out and left me with my hands deep in dishwater. "WIsh I could use that line" I said aloud to noone in particular, but I never get to leave! HA HA

Mine, but it kind of organically grew. It's my baby, but he likes it so much that he can hardly wait for the day when he can quit the salt mines (his factory job) and be full time with me.
=)
Kk.

Thank you for that question!
After hearing repeated admonitions as to my dh's concern and our lack of experience, as well as all the horror stories, I really started to have doubts. But my passion is back to continue the research and see where it leads.
I was particularly interested to hear JBL's reply, because the dh works outside the B&B. There are so many different dynamics and unique situations. I had no idea. So I am not giving up the quest to see if it could be a good fit for us.
If all else fails, we will stay at all your B&Bs and be model paying guests because of all I learn from this forum!

ALL MINE!!!! Though my spouse was very willing to do it..no arm twisting needed.

both - we have loved staying at b&b's over the years.... and with DH's retirement we didn't want the usual 9-5 jobs or for Jim to be a greeter at WalMart - that may come later!! We had the antiques that we wanted to find a large house to display them and make money... well, break even.... :)

both - we have loved staying at b&b's over the years.... and with DH's retirement we didn't want the usual 9-5 jobs or for Jim to be a greeter at WalMart - that may come later!! We had the antiques that we wanted to find a large house to display them and make money... well, break even.... :).
greyswan said:
both - we have loved staying at b&b's over the years.... and with DH's retirement we didn't want the usual 9-5 jobs or for Jim to be a greeter at WalMart - that may come later!! We had the antiques that we wanted to find a large house to display them and make money... well, break even.... :)
Investment.
cheers.gif

both - we have loved staying at b&b's over the years.... and with DH's retirement we didn't want the usual 9-5 jobs or for Jim to be a greeter at WalMart - that may come later!! We had the antiques that we wanted to find a large house to display them and make money... well, break even.... :).
greyswan said:
Investment.
cheers.gif

Yes, investment!!

My dh is going to use his last week of vacation for the year to take days off here & there to make long weekends for maintenance & projects. I hope.

My husband lost his job at the U when they closed his department. We had been B&B goers for a long time and had rental property so he felt like that was something he could do. That was in 1993. We purchased the house for the B&B and then he couldn't handle the closing of his department, so I kept renting the house until 2005. We were either going to sell or do the B&B. He decided to keep the house and do the B&B. But then decided he didn't want to do it.
He signed the house over to me and I started the B&B. We have been renovating since 1993.
Put the porch back on 10' x 61' - no small feat.
Replaced the roof - 46 squares
Had the 5 gables repaired & painted along with trim.
Had insulation blown in from the inside because it had metal siding. So all 2 inch holes were filled and repaired by me and I painted all over 5000 square feet plus all the ceilings.
Had a wall removed and beam put in. Salvaged flooring from a house torn down to put floor where there was a wall. The room is now my dining room.
Had floors refinished in a number of rooms and carpet in a room where floors weren't salvagable.
June 2008 opened a 2 bedroom suite after taking bath and kitchen out and putting it all back new with just a beverage center instead of kitchen.
September 2008 opened 1 bedroom with large bath all new. Also opened new beverage center off the common rooms.
Have 1- 2 bedroom suite to do in the future. Also need to replace 2 exterior doors on 2nd floor and exterior stairs from those doors.
So dh helps with some things I need done, but it is now mine. I hire and work with the contractors. Hope to retire from full time job in 1 year to working part time for a while and run the bnb and do more marketing in town and to the U.
Last weekend I had a full house (8) people, so I can handle it on weekends but like having less during the week otherwise I have to take some time off every day.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Gotta have health insurance people.
We met with our financial advisor and discussed our long term plan of dh being full-time in the B&B. She pointed out that not only will we need at least his salary, but significantly more to pay for the health insurance.
JBJ said:
Think about this - if you need a new mattress for ONE ROOM. So not sure what others pay - but $3000-5000 for a good B&B mattress set.
I go to the Amish factory (no delivery) and can get a king-sized set for around $500... pillowtop on both top and bottom.
Bring a truck and come visit!
=)
Kk.

Like I said, another perspective to consider.
Good thing I am off work or I would be in big trouble, cuz I couldn't do both (no computer access). This stuff grabs my heart and I want to learn more and more so I can do it too!
That said, I do need to go do some of the same projects that have already been mentioned, but HERE on our home. House, landscaping, & pool maintenance, repairs, improvements and renovations, it is never ending, but I love it.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
We met with our financial advisor and discussed our long term plan of dh being full-time in the B&B. She pointed out that not only will we need at least his salary, but significantly more to pay for the health insurance.
JBJ said:
Think about this - if you need a new mattress for ONE ROOM. So not sure what others pay - but $3000-5000 for a good B&B mattress set.
I go to the Amish factory (no delivery) and can get a king-sized set for around $500... pillowtop on both top and bottom.
=)
Kk..
WHERE DO YOU SHOP??? You can get a top of the line Serta or Sealy for $1500.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk..
tounge_smile.gif

Back