Whuzzit Time

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is the time when I ask "What is it?"
Many times the challenges of buying an existing B&B (aka turn-key) is that you do not know what went on before you. You discover it as you go along...you also find things like this.
Here is an image, can you guess what it is?
To some it will be obvious, to others might take a moment, don't look at others answers before you guess, whuzzit?
lrg_whatzit.jpg

It looks like you need to eat more fiber.
smileystooges.gif

I'm with Diva on this one....old plumbing.

Final image.
lrg_whatzit3.jpg

(yeah who buries electrical cable 1/2 foot below the surface?) We lost power to the shop and after trouble shooting DH finally had to dig up the wire and found this. He will replace it and put it in conduit and/or bury 3 feet down like it is supposed to be.

bodgers frighten the crap out of me! that shallow one of you could have been killed! ie put a spade through it or anything!!!!

And that is why there is Miss Utility. I do not know about other States, but it is a REQUIREMENT in WV to call Miss Utility (an 800 number) before you dig. It saves people from electrocuting themselves and from cutting power, phone, cable, water, etc lines as they miss the utility lines. They come out and spray a line on the ground where the utility lines are so there is no question about where to NOT dig.

And that is why there is Miss Utility. I do not know about other States, but it is a REQUIREMENT in WV to call Miss Utility (an 800 number) before you dig. It saves people from electrocuting themselves and from cutting power, phone, cable, water, etc lines as they miss the utility lines. They come out and spray a line on the ground where the utility lines are so there is no question about where to NOT dig..
it is a REQUIREMENT in WV to call Miss Utility (an 800 number) before you dig.
You mean to dig a little hole to plant a tulip bulb or a new shrub you have to call and get the ground inspected first? That could become cumbersome. Safe, but cumbersome.

And that is why there is Miss Utility. I do not know about other States, but it is a REQUIREMENT in WV to call Miss Utility (an 800 number) before you dig. It saves people from electrocuting themselves and from cutting power, phone, cable, water, etc lines as they miss the utility lines. They come out and spray a line on the ground where the utility lines are so there is no question about where to NOT dig..
?
in your own garden? heck raking leaves could have got us killed! Obv 6 inches down (idiots) is not where it was supposed to be and in a garden. T is still really ticked off over it.
Listen once again I am here to say to those who say "Hire a professional they know what they are doing" is RUBBISH. The owner does not know what they are doing and are taken to the bank when they so-called-professional do a shoddy install like this. Why bother digging, we''' just cover it up.
I am so bad. I really want old houses to be saved, but when someone asks me the one advice I would give if I had to do it over again? BUILD A NEW B&B.
God bless all of you innkeepers today, dealing with these things we get to deal with and more.
cheers.gif

You mean to dig a little hole to plant a tulip bulb or a new shrub you have to call and get the ground inspected first? That could become cumbersome. Safe, but cumbersome.
Arkansawyer said:
But why would this help, I am asking, certianly they do not know where this was run? How would they. Nobody knows.
I get the call before you dig, pertaining to big digs. We dig around here all the time.
DH also dug up the line from the cottage to see where it was, as you can see in this image another find job (a hired professional did). Scary really.
lrg_cottage.jpg

MISS Utility comes out with a sensor thingy that pinpoints where the lines are. JB is correct, in her case one would have had no clue there was a reason to call. I would say it depends on where you are planting and what I guess. But if I were planning to have to dig more than 1 foot down, I would call them. It costs nothing and is a lot better than being surprised.
In Illinois the frostline was 36 inches. Here it is 18.

?
in your own garden? heck raking leaves could have got us killed! Obv 6 inches down (idiots) is not where it was supposed to be and in a garden. T is still really ticked off over it.
Listen once again I am here to say to those who say "Hire a professional they know what they are doing" is RUBBISH. The owner does not know what they are doing and are taken to the bank when they so-called-professional do a shoddy install like this. Why bother digging, we''' just cover it up.
I am so bad. I really want old houses to be saved, but when someone asks me the one advice I would give if I had to do it over again? BUILD A NEW B&B.
God bless all of you innkeepers today, dealing with these things we get to deal with and more.
cheers.gif

that is why there was a chap who wanted an old style B&B but he couldn't find the right property where he wanted to be (ie excellent tourism market) so he built and imitation one! this may be the way forward.

?
cheers.gif

that is why there was a chap who wanted an old style B&B but he couldn't find the right property where he wanted to be (ie excellent tourism market) so he built and imitation one! this may be the way forward.
Yes, the B&B where I attended my aspiring innkeepers class was built new in 1994 specifically to be a B&B, but built in a Victorian style that makes many guests think it's over 100 years old.
Didn't fool me though. Roof line was too straight and perfect. None of the sagging you'd expect from a really old house, or from a really old innkeeper
regular_smile.gif

Dig Safe. We have that here.

Back