Why call a B&B?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I answer the phone and the caller wants to know if I have rooms tonight? Well, luckily, I don't. So I offer to give her the names of some places that DO have rooms. OK, very thankful. I tell her one place and she asks, 'Is that a motel?' I say it's a B&B. 'Well, can you tell me what motels have openings?' Why call a B&B to find out what motels are open? In what directory am I listed under 'motel'?
I had to say that I only keep track of B&B's but she wasn't the least interested.

Mort I was sent a "rack card" and I use the term loosely as it must have been typed up on a type writer, from the local fleabagger. I was so amused by it. The rates - $33. How nice of them to think of us for referrals!
barf.gif

We get that type of call from people who find us on their GPS. If the phone rings after 9:00 pm, there's a good chance that it's one of them.....and we don't take same day reservations after 4 or 5 pm anyway.

Most of the time this type of caller is not reading anything but the number... You were on the list & go the call, but they think your are a motel.

Mort I was sent a "rack card" and I use the term loosely as it must have been typed up on a type writer, from the local fleabagger. I was so amused by it. The rates - $33. How nice of them to think of us for referrals!
barf.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
It certainly explains why the locals blanch when you tell them your prices.

barf.gif
Morticia said:
I answer the phone and the caller wants to know if I have rooms tonight?
Joey Bloggs said:
The rates - $33. How nice of them to think of us for referrals!
barf.gif
I'm wondering if some B&Bs need to work more to call attention to the $10-value breakfast that goes with the rooms. It seems like when people are pricing rooms they often don't consider that they're also getting a great breakfast.
I've made a note to never call it a "room rate" on my website or on the phone. I'll try to always say it's the "room with breakfast rate" or something similar. Of course, that may cause some on the phone to ask, "so what's the room without breakfast rate" but I'll have a quick answer for that.

barf.gif
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
I'm wondering if some B&Bs need to work more to call attention to the $10-value breakfast that goes with the rooms. It seems like when people are pricing rooms they often don't consider that they're also getting a great breakfast.
I've made a note to never call it a "room rate" on my website or on the phone. I'll try to always say it's the "room with breakfast rate" or something similar. Of course, that may cause some on the phone to ask, "so what's the room without breakfast rate" but I'll have a quick answer for that.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Well the answer to your question is a clear YES - me included!!! But when they are looking for a $33 dollar room....time spent with a caller boosting the breakfast value wasted.

barf.gif
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
YES! And in fact my latest campaign is to draw attention to this fact. Well, let's just say promote it more.
I delivered breakfast to the cottage today and realized I had not done this for quite a while, we used to deliver every weekend, so I blogged it on two blogs (will post in two days on my B&B blog) and also added it to the packages/add ons page after removing a diff package.
I removed what was a great idea, the dinner cruise, as they are not able to fill the boat and cancelling on me and leaving us hold the bag. As much as I like to do special packages, having a third party involved stresses me out. They close up shop, don't fill boats, don't return calls, or whatever.
I hear ya and want to shout to other innmates here to please SHOW AND SHARE YOUR SECOND B. Your breakfasts are to die for, let guests in on the secret!

barf.gif
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Well the answer to your question is a clear YES - me included!!! But when they are looking for a $33 dollar room....time spent with a caller boosting the breakfast value wasted.
copperhead said:
But when they are looking for a $33 dollar room....time spent with a caller boosting the breakfast value wasted.
Yes, time spent on them is probably wasted for the short term, but it's not much of your time to add the words "plus breakfast" when you quote a room rate, and it can plant a seed that might make them want to try a B&B in the future, maybe when the economy is better (and I'm confident those days will come eventually).
Plus, mentioning the breakfast value, even to such as them, helps reinforce the need to mention it to everybody.

barf.gif
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
YES! And in fact my latest campaign is to draw attention to this fact. Well, let's just say promote it more.
I delivered breakfast to the cottage today and realized I had not done this for quite a while, we used to deliver every weekend, so I blogged it on two blogs (will post in two days on my B&B blog) and also added it to the packages/add ons page after removing a diff package.
I removed what was a great idea, the dinner cruise, as they are not able to fill the boat and cancelling on me and leaving us hold the bag. As much as I like to do special packages, having a third party involved stresses me out. They close up shop, don't fill boats, don't return calls, or whatever.
I hear ya and want to shout to other innmates here to please SHOW AND SHARE YOUR SECOND B. Your breakfasts are to die for, let guests in on the secret!
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Unfortunately, these kinds of callers equate the complimentary breakfast with the cardboard waffles you get at the La Quinta or Holiday Inn.

Yeah, boost the breakfast, important to guests choosing B&B over traditional motel - they ask about it. And we offer a complementary glass of wine with appetizers - that is a plus for some. [fyi, a complementary glass of wine is one that says, you look great tonight!]

Plus as well to ring you to ask what other people ( I decline to call them your competition) have or don't have. I have a rough idea about what other people have but otherwise it is none of my business.

barf.gif
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
I delivered breakfast to the cottage today...and also added it to the packages/add ons page after removing a diff package.
I was just thinking...I've never ordered room service in my life.
I almost always scan the room service menu at a hotel, thinking how I'd like to try it just once, but then I look at the prices and decide it's not worth it (I've also never paid for first class on an airplane for the same reason).
But I've also noticed LOTS of dirty room service trays in hotel corridors over the years, so some people are obviously ordering it quite often. I think it's important for us to keep in mind that all people are not like us, and that if people want to spend more money on themselves, who are we to deny them that opportunity!
I've heard of a few inns that carry breakfast to the guest rooms. A package that includes room service for which the innkeeper is being compensated is an excellent idea. Can you elaborate on how your package works? Thanks!

barf.gif
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
I delivered breakfast to the cottage today...and also added it to the packages/add ons page after removing a diff package.
I was just thinking...I've never ordered room service in my life.
I almost always scan the room service menu at a hotel, thinking how I'd like to try it just once, but then I look at the prices and decide it's not worth it (I've also never paid for first class on an airplane for the same reason).
But I've also noticed LOTS of dirty room service trays in hotel corridors over the years, so some people are obviously ordering it quite often. I think it's important for us to keep in mind that all people are not like us, and that if people want to spend more money on themselves, who are we to deny them that opportunity!
I've heard of a few inns that carry breakfast to the guest rooms. A package that includes room service for which the innkeeper is being compensated is an excellent idea. Can you elaborate on how your package works? Thanks!
Actually, room service is pleasant and if you have your own wine, about the same cost as dining room service with their mark-up. As for B&B, I guess if some one wanted to take breakfast to the room I wouldn't object, but I would feel weird personally serving it. We normally do individual table service, so its already a little private, and we will set breakfast in TV room if a crowd wants e.g Rose Bowl parade or some such.

sometimes it is women on their own or business travelers who like room service as they either feel odd sitting in a restaurant on their own or are working and don't want to spend the time finding somewhere and then comming back. I allow takeaway to be delivered and eaten if they use plates and cutlery and the relief on people's faces when they arrive in the middle of a storm and you say would you like to have something delivered is obvious. I also allow people to bring microwave dinners and I neuke them up as a free service. If anything is spilled however there is a cleaning charge.

Back