Why Can't I Have Nice Things?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
Was in our favourite kitchen shop a couple of weeks ago and they had some really lovely hand made tall elegant jugs. We bought a couple to replace the cheapo jugs we use for juice in the breakfast room. They look great and within a week we'd had several comments about how nice they are.
So next time we were back at the kitchen shop we bought the matching tumbler glasses for the guests. They were expensive (£10 each) but again looked great.
Within a couple of days of buying them I chipped one whilst washing up. Damn. Oh we'll, bought a replacement.
Then a couple of mornings ago whilst washing up one slipped out of my hand and landed on another, chipping them both.
Oh well. Back to the cheapo 60p juice glasses from the supermarket.

Fancy things like that weren't intended to be used daily, they were intended to be used for special days, friends and family. I don't think I have a breakfast glass that is older than two years. We buy them from the dollar store for just that reason.
But we have some special ware that we keep in the china cabinet and only pull out for special occassions.

sad_smile.gif

Sorry to hear that! There are certain things I'm not allowed to touch or wash because I'm usually that one that breaks things around here
cry_smile.gif

One year when I came home to WV for a visit, my friend and I visited the Fostoria Outlet store as usual and i saw the most beautiful goblets. I wanted them but they were $25 EACH!! This was in the late 1980s. The next year, we went to buy them - I had saved all year and had the money for them. When we left the store, my friend asked me, "You had the money, why didn't you buy "your" goblets?" My reply was that I could not bear the thought of crying as my kids broke them.
As it was, I bought 6 very beautiful and delicate goblets. My kids, rather than using the sturdy Fostoria goblets or other glasses, would use those for their Cokes. Today, I have them but if there are 2 that do not have chips I would be surprised. I guess I keep them as a reminder to not treasure or put too much importance on "things". If it is only to be used for Special times it will never get used. Every day is Special to me.

we buy our bedroom and breakfast glasses from IKEA 89p (tha'ts about 40 cents) for 6 - can't beat that and I don't worry for a second about them breaking. did buy a whole load from a local charity shop (save the children) which was a super bargain for me and helping a worthy charity 241!

One word- Ikea. Everyone loves our juice glasses..
Our old juice jugs where from ikea, but they were thick and ugly. However since they only cost £1.99 each if we chipped one you threw it in the glass recycling bin and got a new one out of the cupboard.

we buy our bedroom and breakfast glasses from IKEA 89p (tha'ts about 40 cents) for 6 - can't beat that and I don't worry for a second about them breaking. did buy a whole load from a local charity shop (save the children) which was a super bargain for me and helping a worthy charity 241!.
89p is more like $1.43, not 40c

I used "nice" things every day for breakfast service. I figured that it was fun to share with the guests and they were just things that could probably be replaced. Not doing any good sitting in the china cabinet or cupboard.
Things that went in the rooms were a different story. But I found interesting glassware at various places for the rooms that might have cost a few dollars. Wine glasses - from the dollar store.

In the B & B, I use my Fostoria, Limoges, and all the "good"stuff because that is what it is for - the Special People, my guests who I want to KNOW they are special and important. Staying in the cabinet does no good. And when I pass this inn on to the next owner, all the dishes, goblets, etc will stay behind if they want them. Only my personal stuff will make the move (if I am here to MAKE the move).

the most annoying thing of all is, when I bought them I thought "I wonder how long it will be before a guest breaks one of these?".

Back