Why Can't People READ????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Recently did a promotion with a radio station in a target market, where I provided some Gift Certificates to be sold through their website. The site provides a nice 3 paragraph description of our B&B and then in BOLD tells the restrictions of use which are: Not Valid during holidays and event periods; 2 night min. and the expiry date. They purchase online, and then are sent via mail the GC and info.
The promotion started a few days ago and since then I have gotten call after call wanting to book for either ONE night and/or Valentines weekend (which is also a huge local event period). When I tell them the details they say "I did not see that".
Come ON People READ!!! It's in BOLD for heavens sake.

I donated a one night stay to a local fundraiser and it had an expiration date. The expiration date was on the bid sheet as well as the gift certificate. One of my neighbors ended up buying it and has done nothing but complain about the expiration date. I finally said that I'd give her a check for what she paid for it if it couldn't be used by the expiration date. Good grief! This is why I quit donating stays.....

This was NOT a donation, it was a trade for radio time. The radio time worked, in the 3 days of air time I booked 24 reservations connected to this promotion, some for multi night stays and only ONE is using a GC purchased on their site, all others just booked.
So while the promotion worked well, it did not come without headaches and since only one has booked, I am sure I will have more to deal with before this is over.
Tonight was the one that just put me over the edge. Tuesday I got an online reservation for one night at the end of next month, given the address in area code, it raised the GC flag so I called. Yep I was on target, he had just purchased a GC from the radio station. I then told him there was a 2 night min and asked if he wanted me to extend his reservation. "Uh no, I didn't know ...." me, "Sorry, the policies are written in bold..." So, he says he will have to get back with me. Nothing from him yesterday so I sent him an email stating I was placing the room back open for booking. Then explained again the policies of the GC and that we would love having them stay either that weekend (as long as it was still available) or at another time other than holidays or event periods........
So what do I get tonight, an email asking for Feb. 12 & 13.... WT_????

This was NOT a donation, it was a trade for radio time. The radio time worked, in the 3 days of air time I booked 24 reservations connected to this promotion, some for multi night stays and only ONE is using a GC purchased on their site, all others just booked.
So while the promotion worked well, it did not come without headaches and since only one has booked, I am sure I will have more to deal with before this is over.
Tonight was the one that just put me over the edge. Tuesday I got an online reservation for one night at the end of next month, given the address in area code, it raised the GC flag so I called. Yep I was on target, he had just purchased a GC from the radio station. I then told him there was a 2 night min and asked if he wanted me to extend his reservation. "Uh no, I didn't know ...." me, "Sorry, the policies are written in bold..." So, he says he will have to get back with me. Nothing from him yesterday so I sent him an email stating I was placing the room back open for booking. Then explained again the policies of the GC and that we would love having them stay either that weekend (as long as it was still available) or at another time other than holidays or event periods........
So what do I get tonight, an email asking for Feb. 12 & 13.... WT_????.
Either they don't read or they don't know what a holiday is. (You might be surprised.) I had a guy argue with me that Columbus Day weekend isn't a holiday. He had no idea what 'holiday' I was talking about when I wouldn't give him a discount for staying one night 'on a holiday weekend'.
It sounds like you're getting a lot of traffic from that ad, tho, so good for you!

Either they don't read or they don't know what a holiday is. (You might be surprised.) I had a guy argue with me that Columbus Day weekend isn't a holiday. He had no idea what 'holiday' I was talking about when I wouldn't give him a discount for staying one night 'on a holiday weekend'.
It sounds like you're getting a lot of traffic from that ad, tho, so good for you!
Morticia said:
Either they don't read or they don't know what a holiday is. (You might be surprised.)
Believe me I AM suprised if this is the case with this guy! This perticular guy lives in this area (~50m) and unless he is from another planet, he KNOWS what weekend it is as he lives near some of the festivities that will be going on. The only thing I can think is that he thinks that because we are 'so far' away that it does not effect us....but there is not a city within this entire region that is not part of this celebration.
Now if this had been someone from, lets say, your neck of the woods I would not be so surprised as it has happened before..'Oh, I didn't know that [ ] was this time of year." And your example of Columbus Day could have easily been me! Not that I don't know about Columbus Day, but it is not one of my 'holiday weekends' here.
Yep, if done in the right target market, at the right time of year, on the right radio station, at the right times of the day,..... AND all for the right PRICE.
confused_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Either they don't read or they don't know what a holiday is. (You might be surprised.)
Believe me I AM suprised if this is the case with this guy! This perticular guy lives in this area (~50m) and unless he is from another planet, he KNOWS what weekend it is as he lives near some of the festivities that will be going on. The only thing I can think is that he thinks that because we are 'so far' away that it does not effect us....but there is not a city within this entire region that is not part of this celebration.
Now if this had been someone from, lets say, your neck of the woods I would not be so surprised as it has happened before..'Oh, I didn't know that [ ] was this time of year." And your example of Columbus Day could have easily been me! Not that I don't know about Columbus Day, but it is not one of my 'holiday weekends' here.
Yep, if done in the right target market, at the right time of year, on the right radio station, at the right times of the day,..... AND all for the right PRICE.
confused_smile.gif

Holy cow! Is it THAT time of year? Already? What a doofus in that case. You know, tho, someone from here going there would be going for just that reason so they'd know. Altho my parents regularly end up in Daytona during race week totally oblivious and wondering why they can't get a room. Ditto Spring Break. They just get in the car and go, they don't pay attention to what's coming up.

Just giving another example of how people don't read. I donated the gc, but they bought it. ;-)

Back