Why choose to be miserable?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
Something I'll never understand - why people choose to wallow in a bad situation. Why not try to make the best of it and move on?
Scenario: Guests check in. I show them around, take them to their room and show them everything. Wife asks, "Where's the hot tub?" Well, ma'am this room does not have a hot tub. Instead, it has an extra-large shower with two showerheads (one is a 10" rainfall suspended from the ceiling). Wife: "but your website says that all rooms have hot tubs or jacuzzis."
Long and short of it is that when our website was hacked a little while ago and then re-built by webmaster, some of the 'old' pages got loaded instead of newer ones. I thought we had purged all of the old ones out, but apparently there was one little sentence in the whole website that made this claim. The room they chose used to have a jacuzzi, but we had to remove it because it was in such disrepair.
So, I offer them the use of the hot tub that is adjacent to their room via a door (private). This hot tub goes with another room that is rented out tonight, but was not last night. I also take some $$ off of their rate for the mix-up AND give them a complimentary bottle of wine (after asking, of course if they imbibe) Then I go down to call the webmaster.
I go into the room this morning to tidy up (after the guests were 'no-show' for breakfast) and the room is a disaster. On top of that, they left the lid off of the hot tub all night and the room is a sauna with water dripping down the windows and walls. They were told not to leave the lid off unless they were using it.
All I can figure is that they were 'getting back' at me for the room mix-up. Things happen, we tried to do what we could, not only to remedy the situation, but give them something 'extra' for their trouble. Why do people choose to dwell on it!?

Are they there for another night? If so, nix on the hot tub. Folks like that don't deserve to be given anything extra. You went way beyond your duty to them
I would have just told them..sorry but we had to take out the jacuzzi because it was unrepairable. Webmaster is working on revising the site.... If they don't like it...too bad. Taking a bit off the room rate was more than compensation for them.

Are they there for another night? If so, nix on the hot tub. Folks like that don't deserve to be given anything extra. You went way beyond your duty to them
I would have just told them..sorry but we had to take out the jacuzzi because it was unrepairable. Webmaster is working on revising the site.... If they don't like it...too bad. Taking a bit off the room rate was more than compensation for them..
Thank you, Catlady! I really needed some affirmation this morning!

I would have just told them..sorry but we had to take out the jacuzzi because it was unrepairable. Webmaster is working on revising the site.... If they don't like it...too bad. Taking a bit off the room rate was more than compensation for them..
Thank you, Catlady! I really needed some affirmation this morning!
Oh you are welcome. You did way more than required.
You know I don't think they did that because of the mix up or for spite...they are just not good guests..who don't care what they do to people's property.
Maybe they drank all of your wine and were so tipsy they didn't even close up the hot tub :-( If they are still around, I'd be tempted to say something like " did you realize your forgot to close up the hot tub last night?" and see their reaction????

Thinking about LB moving on this week...I recalled when DH flew across the country from Seattle to the east coast here to look at this B&B. $500 airfare plus rental car, time off work, and lodging to see if this was the place for us! He specifically told them PO's his check in time, which was within their check in time frame. It was Oct.
He arrived and called me from his rental car as he sat in the parking area and they were not here, there was no note and nothing. So he waited, thinking they just stepped out a moment and would be right back. Hours later they rolled in. Said "Oh you're here" and opened the inn for him. Chose the room he would stay in, which was the highest priced at the time with a single bed (the biz traveler room) and no discount of course. (No online reservations, barely a website)
Mentioning this as it came back to me today, and thinking how we (these innmates on the forum) really go way way out for our guests, we feel guilt if they walk in and are not attended to within seconds, if their every needs are not met.
Meanwhile, go ANYWHERE ELSE and you wait, AND you don't always get what you want.
Last night had Chinese food, an excellent place too, not fried, all piping hot and fresh. A man kicked up a storm as they replaced a tray with something that had chicken instead of ONLY vegetable. He said "I AM NOT THE ONLY VEGETARIAN IN THIS ROOM YOU KNOW!" As he cursed the place for all to hear. Stuff happens dude get over it. Then, our only vegetarian here today for a full house never even bothered to show up for breakfast and kept everyone waiting.
All that to say, please don't sweat the small stuff, and that is what this is, small stuff, some people just make everyone miserable, it is their goal in life. As I like to say, Please don't oil the squeaky wheel. Lavish olive oil of blessings on those who do not squeak!
cheers.gif

Back