Why did she put onions in the quiche?!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
just another one of those days --- guests today who refuse the quiche (spinach and cheese or just cheese) because both have onion in them and they don't eat onions. and it tastes sooo good, if i do say so myself.
just another one of those things i wasn't told. it is too bad, because i could have just as easily left onions out of part of each quiche ... coulda shoulda woulda ....
i heard the stage whispered conversations.
i scrambled them some eggs.
could it be that folks aren't anticipating onions at breakfast so they don't mention that?

Forgetabout them! If it is good with the onions, then stuff em.
One person at table had a nice collective pile of his fruit he scraped off everything. Yet next to him are vegetarians who loved it.
You can't please all the people all the time! So please some of the people some of the time!

Forgetabout them! If it is good with the onions, then stuff em.
One person at table had a nice collective pile of his fruit he scraped off everything. Yet next to him are vegetarians who loved it.
You can't please all the people all the time! So please some of the people some of the time!.
Had a guy this morning who pushed all the raspberries off the FT, they were on the plate. His wife said, 'He doesn't like raspberries, basically he doesn't like food that never made noise.' I picked up the edge of his plate (he was done) and whispered, in a squeaky voice, ' Eat me! Eat me!' Got a laugh anyway.

A close friend of mine caused a scene once by "pretending" she hated raspeberries and for 10 years we seemed to come across much food with raspberries to which we always pointed out "You don't like them, more for me." Her husband, myself or anyone who was with her.
We use this in discussion with one kid here to feigned hatred toward shrimp one day then was caught sneaking some off someone's plate cuz she really likes them!

I ask as I take the reservation if they have any food dislikes and sometimes this actually does get them thinking enough to say no green peppers or no onions. Had one no tomatoes which presented a problem since she had scheduled a dinner which is manicotti and had same situation with a no cheese - both came back with manicotti is fine. Turns out the tomatoes was no raw tomatoes (a salad looks blah without tomatoes in my opinion!).

I ask as I take the reservation if they have any food dislikes and sometimes this actually does get them thinking enough to say no green peppers or no onions. Had one no tomatoes which presented a problem since she had scheduled a dinner which is manicotti and had same situation with a no cheese - both came back with manicotti is fine. Turns out the tomatoes was no raw tomatoes (a salad looks blah without tomatoes in my opinion!)..
gillumhouse said:
I ask as I take the reservation if they have any food dislikes and sometimes this actually does get them thinking enough to say no green peppers or no onions. Had one no tomatoes which presented a problem since she had scheduled a dinner which is manicotti and had same situation with a no cheese - both came back with manicotti is fine. Turns out the tomatoes was no raw tomatoes (a salad looks blah without tomatoes in my opinion!).
I am not asking anyone squat. Other than allergies and religious dietary requirements. I have a death allergy that I have to always tell people about, and it irritates me, but it is one typically put in for COLOR. Like the tomatoes.

I ask as I take the reservation if they have any food dislikes and sometimes this actually does get them thinking enough to say no green peppers or no onions. Had one no tomatoes which presented a problem since she had scheduled a dinner which is manicotti and had same situation with a no cheese - both came back with manicotti is fine. Turns out the tomatoes was no raw tomatoes (a salad looks blah without tomatoes in my opinion!)..
gillumhouse said:
I am not asking anyone squat. Other than allergies and religious dietary requirements. I have a death allergy that I have to always tell people about, and it irritates me, but it is one typically put in for COLOR. Like the tomatoes.
do you put onions in your quiche?

gillumhouse said:
seashanty said:
No.

gillumhouse said:
I don't usually do quiche but if doing a veggie egg bake, yes, I put onions in. IT is a veggie and gives flavor.

If you ask when taking the reservation or at check-in and they don't tell then I feel this is THERE problem, not mine!!!! If they go to a restaurant I am sure they remember what they do not eat & ask before ordering, what's different at a B&B especially if they are told breakfast is Chef's choice, meaning there is NO choices, NO menu etc.
Re: the question about onions...I do not make quiche but most of my egg dishes have either green or regular onions. To me, onions provide so much flavor.

If you ask when taking the reservation or at check-in and they don't tell then I feel this is THERE problem, not mine!!!! If they go to a restaurant I am sure they remember what they do not eat & ask before ordering, what's different at a B&B especially if they are told breakfast is Chef's choice, meaning there is NO choices, NO menu etc.
Re: the question about onions...I do not make quiche but most of my egg dishes have either green or regular onions. To me, onions provide so much flavor..
I put it down to they are so used to not using an ingredient that they forget the rest of the world does not know that. We have realized after ordering at a restaurant that DH forgot to say no cheese on his salad - although we do get the salad dressing squared away, vinegar does not mean vinegarette folks. Like the Dad who did finally think to mention priot to arrival that one kid was gluten-free but did not think of it until they were here that BTW no peanut butter and no bananas either - Mom would probably have said something but Dad was making the rez.

I would mention peppers when making a rez because I hate peppers. Abhor the way they ooze thruout an entire dish contaminating every corner. You cannot 'pick out' a pepper. It's too late. However, summer squash makes me sick and I never think to mention that. But I can pick that out and eat around it.

Here, onions are definitely unusual at breakfast so people would not think to tell you that they didn't like them. (For instance, a Denver omelet isn't a popular dish here...they don't know what they're missing!!)
If I'm going to make rosemary potatoes, I ask about onions because they go in that. I don't put onions in egg dishes usually. I would ask NOW because I've had a guest with an onion allergy similar to JBJ's bell pepper allergy - very serious. Also, there are some seasonings that have onion powder or bell pepper derivatives, so that is a good thing to know.
Lots of people eat cooked tomato sauce but don't like raw tomatoes - George Carlin said about tomatoes "...they're not finished yet. They're still in the laaaaaaaarval stage." haha! The first video here is pretty clean & talks about tomatoes, along with being picky about food.
wink_smile.gif
Might give you a chuckle.

I would mention peppers when making a rez because I hate peppers. Abhor the way they ooze thruout an entire dish contaminating every corner. You cannot 'pick out' a pepper. It's too late. However, summer squash makes me sick and I never think to mention that. But I can pick that out and eat around it..
Which squash is summer squash? I only know yellow, zuccini, acorn, butternut, pattypan, spaghetti,......

I would mention peppers when making a rez because I hate peppers. Abhor the way they ooze thruout an entire dish contaminating every corner. You cannot 'pick out' a pepper. It's too late. However, summer squash makes me sick and I never think to mention that. But I can pick that out and eat around it..
Which squash is summer squash? I only know yellow, zuccini, acorn, butternut, pattypan, spaghetti,......
gillumhouse said:
The yellow one.

I put HOT SAUCE in my quiche (every one of the them).
Sometimes I put bleu cheese in my quiche
I put horseradish in my quiche
Sometimes I put diced tomatoes (small) in my quiche
Sometimes I put dehydrated onions in my quiche
Sometiems I put finely chopped sweet onion in my quiche
Whatever I have on hand. Heck I have thrown bacon bits into a quiche lorraine for added umph and it was great!

Here, onions are definitely unusual at breakfast so people would not think to tell you that they didn't like them. (For instance, a Denver omelet isn't a popular dish here...they don't know what they're missing!!)
If I'm going to make rosemary potatoes, I ask about onions because they go in that. I don't put onions in egg dishes usually. I would ask NOW because I've had a guest with an onion allergy similar to JBJ's bell pepper allergy - very serious. Also, there are some seasonings that have onion powder or bell pepper derivatives, so that is a good thing to know.
Lots of people eat cooked tomato sauce but don't like raw tomatoes - George Carlin said about tomatoes "...they're not finished yet. They're still in the laaaaaaaarval stage." haha! The first video here is pretty clean & talks about tomatoes, along with being picky about food.
wink_smile.gif
Might give you a chuckle..
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Fired potatoes always have onions. Tomatoes is an ACID factor.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
I have never had fired potatoes before. How do you prepare them? Peel the potatoes, step back and say, "You're fired!"? Then, prepare your favorite way? tee hee....
They take their fried potatoes plain here, ma'am.

I put HOT SAUCE in my quiche (every one of the them).
Sometimes I put bleu cheese in my quiche
I put horseradish in my quiche
Sometimes I put diced tomatoes (small) in my quiche
Sometimes I put dehydrated onions in my quiche
Sometiems I put finely chopped sweet onion in my quiche
Whatever I have on hand. Heck I have thrown bacon bits into a quiche lorraine for added umph and it was great!.
Real innkeepers make quiche
wink_smile.gif
I have not made a quiche yet....

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
I have never had fired potatoes before. How do you prepare them? Peel the potatoes, step back and say, "You're fired!"? Then, prepare your favorite way? tee hee....
Samster said:
Yeah those rotten tomatoes, fire every last one of em!

Back