Why did you open a B&B or become an Innkeeper?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because DW was relentless!.
Masochist and a glutton for punishment.
Total sidetrack...hubs cannot spell 'gluten'. So, whenever someone has a gluten allergy he puts on their rez form (in the notes section they can read) 'glutton'. If I don't catch it before it gets printed and handed to the guest to sign I have a little song and dance I have to do.
What's wrong with being glutton intolerant? I wouldn't be offended.
sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

I was told many years ago by a very wise man to not turn your hobby into a career. I think this is a problem with many innkeepers, they think what they enjoy as hobbies will make a good career, then they hate it. Hate the people, hate the whole thing.
On the same token, we become innkeepers and give up our own time and hobbies and in so doing this we starve ourselves of what WE need. I have not heard it rallied over and over on this forum yet like the old forum - but it used to be said "take care of yourself first" and "make sure your own quarters are nice and not buried with business stuff, ironing, etc so you have a place to retreat to."
I am sure there was other advice about this that MOST innkeepers do not adhere to and think they can just make do. Our well being depends on having our OWN space, having it as nice as possible, not the last care of the inn. Your loved ones get the raw end of the deal when you give give give to guests and burn out. Take care of you!.
Daughter just posted the cutest pix of baby on FB page. Baby lying on lovely quilt made by Grammie for first g-child. Caption reads: E on quilt Grammie made for K. E loves it, too!
Comment from Grammie (me) reads: Grammie takes the hint.
Poor new baby has no quilt. Last g-child also does not have quilt. He's 2.

I was told many years ago by a very wise man to not turn your hobby into a career. I think this is a problem with many innkeepers, they think what they enjoy as hobbies will make a good career, then they hate it. Hate the people, hate the whole thing.
On the same token, we become innkeepers and give up our own time and hobbies and in so doing this we starve ourselves of what WE need. I have not heard it rallied over and over on this forum yet like the old forum - but it used to be said "take care of yourself first" and "make sure your own quarters are nice and not buried with business stuff, ironing, etc so you have a place to retreat to."
I am sure there was other advice about this that MOST innkeepers do not adhere to and think they can just make do. Our well being depends on having our OWN space, having it as nice as possible, not the last care of the inn. Your loved ones get the raw end of the deal when you give give give to guests and burn out. Take care of you!.
Daughter just posted the cutest pix of baby on FB page. Baby lying on lovely quilt made by Grammie for first g-child. Caption reads: E on quilt Grammie made for K. E loves it, too!
Bree said:
I would love to learn to quilt and then actually take the time to make a quilt. Two of my sisters are amazing quilters and I am always so jealous of the time they have to do it. I guess if I committed a certain amount of time every day or every week I could make it happen. It just always seems like work gets in the way.

Total sidetrack...hubs cannot spell 'gluten'. So, whenever someone has a gluten allergy he puts on their rez form (in the notes section they can read) 'glutton'. If I don't catch it before it gets printed and handed to the guest to sign I have a little song and dance I have to do.
sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

The solution is simple. Either teach him to spell gluten or intolerant. Problem solved.

Wouldn't ya just die if the person saw their booking and read "glutton" ha ha

A longtime dream.
Working from home and still meeting very nice and interesting people from allover the globe.
I also used to wotk in the tourism industry and loved it.

sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

The solution is simple. Either teach him to spell gluten or intolerant. Problem solved.
SweetiePie said:
Easier said than done (obviously!) as English is not his first language and some of the rules escape him. I still have to check the breakfast board everyday for the spelling of things he's been making for years. Otherwise I get guests looking puzzled at the 'chessy' pie.

sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
Easier said than done (obviously!) as English is not his first language and some of the rules escape him. I still have to check the breakfast board everyday for the spelling of things he's been making for years. Otherwise I get guests looking puzzled at the 'chessy' pie.
Bree said:
Otherwise I get guests looking puzzled at the 'chessy' pie.
Puzzled would be appropriate.
tounge_smile.gif
Check mate = what an innkeeper does when their spouse can't spell.

sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
If I could make a suggestion - GF for gluten-free? We use ND for 'normal diet' on our rez forms.

sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
If I could make a suggestion - GF for gluten-free? We use ND for 'normal diet' on our rez forms.
muirford said:
OK, here goes...he also can't remember anything. We were here for well over 2 years before he remembered what size beds were in what rooms. How many beds were in the rooms, etc. And then we changed out 3 bed sizes. Oy. Everything has to be notated. We've started putting the room number in when we do the cc swipe. The room number prints out on the rez form but for a walk-in you'd have to know what it was. I have to print up a form to put by the cc machine so he knows which room number goes with which room name. He can ask me 5 times in the space of 10 minutes how many guests there are for breakfast the next day.
It will only make more work for me in the long run to attempt a shorthand method. I'll deal with the occasional gluttons!

sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
muirford said:
OK, here goes...he also can't remember anything. We were here for well over 2 years before he remembered what size beds were in what rooms. How many beds were in the rooms, etc. And then we changed out 3 bed sizes. Oy. Everything has to be notated. We've started putting the room number in when we do the cc swipe. The room number prints out on the rez form but for a walk-in you'd have to know what it was. I have to print up a form to put by the cc machine so he knows which room number goes with which room name. He can ask me 5 times in the space of 10 minutes how many guests there are for breakfast the next day.
It will only make more work for me in the long run to attempt a shorthand method. I'll deal with the occasional gluttons!
OK, here goes...he also can't remember anything. ...
That's great that you know each of his idiosyncrasies. DW justs lumps it all into saying I'm "untrainable."
wink_smile.gif

We're pretty typical of the group here. We both worked in the corporate world then after retirement decided this was a good way to supplement our income and have some fun too. DW and I are best friends, so it also gave us a project that we could do together.

sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
muirford said:
That's great that you know each of his idiosyncrasies. DW justs lumps it all into saying I'm "untrainable."
wink_smile.gif

swirt said:
wink_smile.gif
He cooks like a dream, can fix anything, loves me to pieces, what's a spelling error or two?

sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
muirford said:
wink_smile.gif

swirt said:
wink_smile.gif
He cooks like a dream, can fix anything, loves me to pieces, what's a spelling error or two?
Bree said:
He ... loves me to pieces...
Is is name Jeffrey Dahmer by any chance?

sad_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
sad_smile.gif
He just puts 'glutton'.
teeth_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
muirford said:
wink_smile.gif

swirt said:
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
You're so sick!
smileystooges.gif

I wanted to have my own business and I consider a B & B the most economical start-up business. Before anyone howls WHAT? this is why, you have to live somewhere and having a B & B I have my home and the business pays the expenses of it plus a little extra.
When asked the question of why, I tell of DH looking for the hook and freely state that I have found my hook. My Mother is in her grave on rotate with laughter because I am now in a business where I have to clean house! FACT! I love every other aspect of it.

We started staying at B&Bs a long time ago and liked the idea of the type of business that it is. We didn't necessarily think that we'd end up in a historic home but I do love this place more all the time.

Something I think about innkeeping, generally when we're very busy, is 'what a strange way to make a living.'

Back