Why did you open a B&B or become an Innkeeper?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it can't be said that you all don't share from your hearts and speak your minds.
teeth_smile.gif
It is evident that you are all passionate about what you do, and it is wonderful to see and hear.
As one of the newest aspiring couples to join the site - DH and I thank you for your frankness - it's good to hear it like it is, so that you don't walk into something with 'rose colored' glasses and then find yourself wondering 'how is it that no one warned me it would be like this".
We joined this site group, and forum to learn, gain insight from y'all experiences so we can walk into this adventure fully armed with as much knowledge as possible. We thank each of your for your blundtness, and for what it's worth, this aspiring couple is listening. Our eyes are open, our 'listening ears' are turned on and we are hearing what you are saying loud and clear. By the time we make the big jump, our youngest and last remaining child in the house will be in high school and not wanting to spend much time with the old folks, so we won't feel like we're ignoring her.
I will admit to a moment of 'bummer, dude' about the difficulty in hosting weddings and other events, but... I can dream...
We are still very firmly rooted in SoCal, both gainfully employed working full time and hoping to start saving up for the big move. We gave ourselves three years to save and find the 'right place' -.
MommyTaylor said:
Well, it can't be said that you all don't share from your hearts and speak your minds.
teeth_smile.gif
It is evident that you are all passionate about what you do, and it is wonderful to see and hear.
As one of the newest aspiring couples to join the site - DH and I thank you for your frankness - it's good to hear it like it is, so that you don't walk into something with 'rose colored' glasses and then find yourself wondering 'how is it that no one warned me it would be like this".
We joined this site group, and forum to learn, gain insight from y'all experiences so we can walk into this adventure fully armed with as much knowledge as possible. We thank each of your for your blundtness, and for what it's worth, this aspiring couple is listening. Our eyes are open, our 'listening ears' are turned on and we are hearing what you are saying loud and clear. By the time we make the big jump, our youngest and last remaining child in the house will be in high school and not wanting to spend much time with the old folks, so we won't feel like we're ignoring her.
I will admit to a moment of 'bummer, dude' about the difficulty in hosting weddings and other events, but... I can dream...
We are still very firmly rooted in SoCal, both gainfully employed working full time and hoping to start saving up for the big move. We gave ourselves three years to save and find the 'right place' -
I don't know if this is a practical suggestion for you, but ... have you considered volunteering working a weekend at a local B & B, just to get a feel for it?
I have had a few aspiring Innkeepers try their hand. Some are just great, right from the get go. One couple were naturals and ended up buying a B & B the next town away and are loving every minute of it. They are a single couple with no (desire or intention to have) children. The Inn is their baby and sole focus. She is a full time Innkeeper, her husband still works a "real" job (like everything happens around here by magic...I just love that).
I had another woman came to volunteer for the weekend. She lasted one day. The next day she sent me a hugh floral arrangement with a thank you note saying how much she appreciated living the life for 1 day and expressing her gratitude for the experience. She knew after only a day, that this was more work then she ever thought and a job she could never do.
Just a suggestion.

teeth_smile.gif
We are still very firmly rooted in SoCal, both gainfully employed working full time and hoping to start saving up for the big move. We gave ourselves three years to save and find the 'right place' -.
MommyTaylor said:
teeth_smile.gif
We are still very firmly rooted in SoCal, both gainfully employed working full time and hoping to start saving up for the big move. We gave ourselves three years to save and find the 'right place' -
Where in SouthernCA? A few on this forum are from there. A couple northern CA innkeepers here as well.
teeth_smile.gif

You can hold weddings and functions...just slip those rosey ol' glasses off and you are good to go! You can DO anything you want to do. As long as you know what it is you are getting into. This is a great forum to see varying viewpoints.
We are in Huntington Beach

teeth_smile.gif
MommyTaylor said:
We gave ourselves 1 year to save & start...unfortunately/fortunately, we found our place in 1 WEEK. Yikes! You may find it when you least expect it.
Thank you for sharing your feelings and comments on this topic. It shows me that you're soaking it all in and you will make the right decision for you and your family when the time comes.
cheers.gif

teeth_smile.gif
MommyTaylor said:
teeth_smile.gif
I don't know if this is a practical suggestion for you, but ... have you considered volunteering working a weekend at a local B & B, just to get a feel for it?
I have had a few aspiring Innkeepers try their hand. Some are just great, right from the get go. One couple were naturals and ended up buying a B & B the next town away and are loving every minute of it. They are a single couple with no (desire or intention to have) children. The Inn is their baby and sole focus. She is a full time Innkeeper, her husband still works a "real" job (like everything happens around here by magic...I just love that).
I had another woman came to volunteer for the weekend. She lasted one day. The next day she sent me a hugh floral arrangement with a thank you note saying how much she appreciated living the life for 1 day and expressing her gratitude for the experience. She knew after only a day, that this was more work then she ever thought and a job she could never do.
Just a suggestion.
Yes, actually we've totally thought about it - just need to find one that'll take us for a weekend...=) hmmm free help for a weekend? who'd give that up LoL. any takers???
Honestly, I think it's very important to get a good idea of just what it all entails, hands on application - I've been in the restaurant, catering, event and wedding industry for over 20 years - so I'm used to complete and utter controlled chaos... but that's me and this is a different industry. I think that a weekend would be good for DH....

teeth_smile.gif
MommyTaylor said:
We gave ourselves 1 year to save & start...unfortunately/fortunately, we found our place in 1 WEEK. Yikes! You may find it when you least expect it.
Thank you for sharing your feelings and comments on this topic. It shows me that you're soaking it all in and you will make the right decision for you and your family when the time comes.
cheers.gif

I hear you on that one - I found 'the right one' about three weeks ago - and yikes!! it was a pretty one, too!....we just can't do it right now (darn sugardaddy is no where to be found - where ARE they when you want them?....)
Thought about finding a consortium of folks to invest in one, but after reading some of the other posts and hearing of the struggles of being a minority shareholder and/or innkeeper v. owner/innkeeper, I fear that may not be the way to go either.
And so, we wait - it will happen.

I really need to day this. Show me a kid who thought they had it good - at the time they were growing up. I thought I was over-worked, taken advantage of, blah, blah. Now I look back and think how lucky I was. ANY business that has kids in the family expects the kids to be working in the business (and on a farm there is absolutely no question about it!). The Mayor of my city's parents own a little store. He and his siblings grew up working the store and STILL work the store in addition to their real jobs.
I truly believe it is a kids JOB to resent whatever the parents expect of them. Mine resented the chores they had - dishes, doing their own laundry, what started out the job of he who gets in doo-doo most became the permanent job of middle son, cleaning the bathroom. Youngest son had doggie doo-doo duty and empty mouse traps. cleaning house.... Ours were told if you want an allowance, you have to earn it. I firmly believe parents who do not teach their kids chores and work ethic are cheating the kids. Life is not do only what you want to do.
I am not trying to be combative, trying to create another line of thought. Do the kids resent the B & B or do they think they are supposed to feel cheated by the B & B and resent it. They will fulfill your expectations. I am not denying that having the B & B means if it happens on a weekend, it is usually without us. But I will say that I have managed to be there for many activities (insert kids for City) in this City and for this City even with guests in-house, in-coming, or out-going. DH can serve, but I have to have everything ready first. One time we had to leave the houde BEFORE guests were having breakfast (thankfully this happened before the timer on my oven died) and the guests took their breakfast out of the oven themselves. Thursday evening, there is a note on the door. Jimmy's for spaghetti dinner with directions for Jimmy's. If you know in advance, tell the guests arrive before this or after that because this. I did this for a wedding night couple and then rescinded the time because the concert was rained out. Tomorrow's guests are invited to the cookout I am doing wearing another of my hats.
I have done B & B with grandchildren visiting so I am not totally not in the know about doing it with kids. Last time I had the 3 while I sent their parents off for getting to know you time. You do have to set aside an OUR TIME - for you and your husband. We did that to survive having 6 kids on the day of the wedding! Saturday morning breakfast and running errands was our time, Later it evolved to Friday night dinner before i went to bed for a couple hours of sleep. At least one weekend a year we went camping (all we could afford) alone - no kids, even if we had to hire a sitter! Did not mean to write a book, but there is stress with kids no matter what. And yes, with a B & B you ARE living it.

Chiming in late (both on the thread and at night!)....
We started our B&B because I was looking for a business where I could make my kids work hard, and where I could stay home with my kids. Dh decided he likes it, too, so he's doing five years at a factory and then we're on our own with only four rooms.
I'd never considered owning a B&B until by chance I asked an innkeeper what it was like to have an inn... "Brawn! A lot of muscle! Long days and hard work!" Yep, that pretty much sums it up...
I did some research and it seemed to fit my skill set, and (as Kathleen mentioned) be an affordable business to start up. And slightly less risky (if it didn't pan out at least we have a nice house in a great town!).
Even knowing that it was hard work, and even reading every post ever posted on the prior forum, I still was optimistic about it... well, I can do that...
I can, but I'm whupped!
Having my kids here, working with me, is tough but absolutely worth it. They have to behave... well, they would anyway, but more so when there are guests! They get the line, "There are guests in this house! No yelling!" But they also get the connection between work and money, and I am so proud of them when they, at five, can make choices about how to spend their money that they earned.
Dh and I aren't much for knock down drag outs, so that's not as much an issue. And we're (so far) pretty slow in winter, so we get a break then.
And this year I'm getting much better about taking Mondays off (usually) to go fishing and swimming with the kids.
But it's still 15+ hour days... and totally worth it.
And (long story) I have a girl helping me 25 hours a week. She started last Tuesday and has been deep cleaning (windows, baseboards). Unfortunately, she'll only will be here six weeks. It's awesome, although I actually seem to be working even more than before, but things are getting done which haven't been for too long. She asked me today why I didn't request more than one person through the program... somehow I wasn't sure I could keep a kid busy 20 hours a week. What was I thinking? She could work 50 hours a week and I'd still have stuff for her to do!
So, my B&B is just a big homeschool project and a way to work hard without farming. As such, it definitely fits the bill on both counts! Happily, we enjoy it!
=)
Kk.

a heart to heart from this innkeeper:
Please be aware that a B&B is not the same as a homestay. It is a 24/7 labor intensive job and your kids will have to tow the line and make definite sacrifices. It is very challenging running a B&B and raising kids.
You can't leave their 'stuff' out, the lawns must always be mowed, the place dusted and spic and span, even if a child has the flu the guests still need to be attended to. You can't just tell them "my child has the flu we have been up all night" or there is vomitting.
You can't make events like ball games, have slumber parties. If you do, it is a solo event if you can swing it with much planning, and someone has to be there for guests and checkins. Many time contraints. The other partner of the family who works outside the B&B comes home and works every night and all weekend. (This is what we have done for 6 years). Dh has worked on this porch decking every evening after work this week - last night til 1am to get it painted and dry enough so guests can walk on it tonight.
There are a few of us who do have children and run a B&B and trust me there is no time to hold weddings and care for your kids. A wedding at your B&B requires tons of your time for planning - even if there is a wedding planner! Many many phone calls. It is not easy, it is not that fun, it is in fact very difficult. When most innkeepers paint the cherry rose colored glasses perspective of innkeeping, you can always dig a little deeper and find it is not all it is cracked up to be.
IF you have ZERO mortgage and your spouse works outside the B&B for income and health insurance coverage, then you can go at it how you like. Otherwise there is a HUGE outlay, a lot of overhead and you have to stay on top of it. Inspections, licensing, insurance, marketing, etc etc.
I just want to tell it like it is from my heart. People get ticked when I say other than "you are your own boss, you make all the decisions and do whatever you want to" this is not altogether true, you are chained to your business as you live in it and it can consume you. It must consume you for it to be a success, you have to give it 110%. It is not part time, it is not a cottage industry. It entails the entire family being on board and being innkeepers, day and night.
Others might share some of the same thoughts off the forum. When we do share openly the arrows are shot our direction. I am sure even those without raising kids and running a B&B can tell you it is not for the faint hearted. There is no quick way out when you are done, B&B's often times take years to sell..
I agree with 99% of what you are saying, but not all of it. We raised our 3 children who were 7, 9, and 11 when we opened the B&B and we never missed a sporting event or play. The kids also had friends over all the time. We only have three rooms so maybe that made it a lot easier. Also, most sporting events happened on Wednesday afternoons and Saturday afternoons. On Wednesday's we would be home before most guests arrived and on Saturday's we would have the breakfast over and the rooms ready before we left. It just seemed to work for us and our children played soccer, basketball, lacrosse, and rowed crew. All three played a sport every semester. They also participated in school plays. They are 20, 22, and 23 now and I miss going to all their events. As for the rest of what you are saying, I agree completely.
a heart to heart from this innkeeper:
Please be aware that a B&B is not the same as a homestay. It is a 24/7 labor intensive job and your kids will have to tow the line and make definite sacrifices. It is very challenging running a B&B and raising kids.
You can't leave their 'stuff' out, the lawns must always be mowed, the place dusted and spic and span, even if a child has the flu the guests still need to be attended to. You can't just tell them "my child has the flu we have been up all night" or there is vomitting.
You can't make events like ball games, have slumber parties. If you do, it is a solo event if you can swing it with much planning, and someone has to be there for guests and checkins. Many time contraints. The other partner of the family who works outside the B&B comes home and works every night and all weekend. (This is what we have done for 6 years). Dh has worked on this porch decking every evening after work this week - last night til 1am to get it painted and dry enough so guests can walk on it tonight.
There are a few of us who do have children and run a B&B and trust me there is no time to hold weddings and care for your kids. A wedding at your B&B requires tons of your time for planning - even if there is a wedding planner! Many many phone calls. It is not easy, it is not that fun, it is in fact very difficult. When most innkeepers paint the cherry rose colored glasses perspective of innkeeping, you can always dig a little deeper and find it is not all it is cracked up to be.
IF you have ZERO mortgage and your spouse works outside the B&B for income and health insurance coverage, then you can go at it how you like. Otherwise there is a HUGE outlay, a lot of overhead and you have to stay on top of it. Inspections, licensing, insurance, marketing, etc etc.
I just want to tell it like it is from my heart. People get ticked when I say other than "you are your own boss, you make all the decisions and do whatever you want to" this is not altogether true, you are chained to your business as you live in it and it can consume you. It must consume you for it to be a success, you have to give it 110%. It is not part time, it is not a cottage industry. It entails the entire family being on board and being innkeepers, day and night.
Others might share some of the same thoughts off the forum. When we do share openly the arrows are shot our direction. I am sure even those without raising kids and running a B&B can tell you it is not for the faint hearted. There is no quick way out when you are done, B&B's often times take years to sell.

Oops somehow my reply above got out of order. I'll try again.
I agree with 99% of what JBJ said, but not all of it. We raised our 3 children who were 7, 9, and 11 when we opened the B&B and we never missed a sporting event or play. The kids also had friends over all the time. We only have three rooms so maybe that made it a lot easier. Also, most sporting events happened on Wednesday afternoons and Saturday afternoons. On Wednesday's we would be home before most guests arrived and on Saturday's we would have the breakfast over and the rooms ready before we left. It just seemed to work for us and our children played soccer, basketball, lacrosse, and rowed crew. All three played a sport every semester. They also participated in school plays. They are 20, 22, and 23 now and I miss going to all their events. As for the rest of what you she is saying, I agree completely.

Not all BnB's are the same, just like not all innkeepers are the same. Some are more meticulous than others, some more orderly, some more ADD. :) What works for one might not work for another.

Sporting events here (for the school age youngsters) are mostly Saturday mornings.
Now that oldest is in marching band it will be the Friday Night games - for the Fall. Only one parent can go, and one stay home for check ins. This is why we are selling...for the family. The time has come, we have done it and done it well.

Greetings all
I have been lurking a few days
I am so very glad to have found this site. More so this thread. I am looking towards a B&B in the future
I had an idea of what the life of a B&B owner would be like. I had no misconceptions. This thread has been enlightening.
I was of the thinking that if I had needed down time. Don't book all rooms. If I need time away. Close the Inn. I saw it as being that simple. Please understand my perspective. I have no children, or a significant other.
I applaud those of you that are raising a family while doing the task of operatiing a B&B. I'd probably pull my hair out.
I have so many questions. I do hope you all will tolerate me?

Greetings all
I am so very glad to have found this site. More so this thread. I am looking towards a B&B in the future
I had an idea of what the life of a B&B owner would be like. I had no misconceptions. This thread has been enlightening.
I was of the thinking that if I had needed down time. Don't book all rooms. If I need time away. Close the Inn. I saw it as being that simple. Please understand my perspective. I have no children, or a significant other.
I applaud those of you that are raising a family while doing the task of operatiing a B&B. I'd probably pull my hair out.
I have so many questions. I do hope you all will tolerate me?.
One Day said:
Greetings all
I have so many questions. I do hope you all will tolerate me?
welcome.gif

All are welcome! Glad you stopped lurking and started writing.
Yes, when you get your own place you can close the inn or not book for a specific day. Just remember, when you do that you have no income.
Tell us a little more about yourself. How far off in the future are you hoping to have a B&B? What kind of research have you done? Have you taken any seminars? Ever worked/volunteered at a B&B? What part of the country?
We're here to help.

Shucks Diva
Thought I'd be the one asking questions...lol
How far in the future?...I honestly have no idea. I have variables that have to be played out first.
Research?...talked with some folks I know that have stayed at B&B's...I have yet to...been looking at the "For Sale" listings at several sites for a little more than a year
Seminars?....not yet. Woked/volunteered?....I recall only once seeing mention of that. Sounds like a plan. Good to get a taste before jumping in
What part of the Country?.....Propose to B&B?....I'm thinking a little south of where I am now. I would prefer less or no snow as I age....I am currently some 30 odd miles from NYC. The cost of living is a burden.
I currently own a small seasonal business in a service related industry. I do OK...much better now. Now that I have learned to live small. I just feel that retiring here is out of the question. I love what I do. Business aspect wears me down time to time

Greetings all
I have so many questions. I do hope you all will tolerate me?.
One Day said:
The flip side to this is 'I was thinking that if I needed the money, I'd have to stay open and skip the down time.'
But, we do what you're saying...far in advance, we block off a night in the summer (ain't happening this summer, we need the money) to just catch our breath. We block off to go on a vacation when it's quiet. But it really depends on where you end up. Could be a 4 season place where you don't really have any 'slow' time.
welcome.gif

Sporting events here (for the school age youngsters) are mostly Saturday mornings.
Now that oldest is in marching band it will be the Friday Night games - for the Fall. Only one parent can go, and one stay home for check ins. This is why we are selling...for the family. The time has come, we have done it and done it well..
Question: If you have late arrivals, do you put a note out for self check-in? Just asking because why wouldn't that work for your Friday night football games? Or go in 2 cars so one can go home after half-time show ends. When I was in high school (OK ancient history and it is probably all changed now) the band was involved with the National Anthem before the game and then half-time show. And the march down the field at the end. The half-time show was the big deal. Just trying to think of ways you could make it work. Remember Sabastian!

Now that oldest is in marching band it will be the Friday Night games - for the Fall. Only one parent can go, and one stay home for check ins. This is why we are selling...for the family. The time has come, we have done it and done it well..
Question: If you have late arrivals, do you put a note out for self check-in? Just asking because why wouldn't that work for your Friday night football games? Or go in 2 cars so one can go home after half-time show ends. When I was in high school (OK ancient history and it is probably all changed now) the band was involved with the National Anthem before the game and then half-time show. And the march down the field at the end. The half-time show was the big deal. Just trying to think of ways you could make it work. Remember Sabastian!
gillumhouse said:
Can you imagine 6 rooms for a self check in. Now that would be funny. Leave the apron hanging on the front door and assign the first guest who arrives the task of the walk through.

Back