Why do guests act surprised that they have a balance due at check-out?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the original question, probably the reason people act surprised is that when you check into a hotel they run your credit card, most of them just put the invoice under the door so you are free to leave whenever you are ready, no stopping by the front desk anymore. People are probably assuming even if you charged their card for a deposit that once they check in you automatically run the card for the balance, we don't know that you don't have access to our card number....
I personally prefer to pay when I check in so that when I'm finished with breakfast I can go back to my room, pack, freshen up, and leave without having to wait until you are finish serving someone else breakfast or giving someone directions, etc. I'm usually off to another destination and those extra 15-20 minutes waiting can feel like an eternity!.
GeorgiaGirl said:
Back to the original question, probably the reason people act surprised is that when you check into a hotel they run your credit card, most of them just put the invoice under the door so you are free to leave whenever you are ready, no stopping by the front desk anymore. People are probably assuming even if you charged their card for a deposit that once they check in you automatically run the card for the balance, we don't know that you don't have access to our card number....
I personally prefer to pay when I check in so that when I'm finished with breakfast I can go back to my room, pack, freshen up, and leave without having to wait until you are finish serving someone else breakfast or giving someone directions, etc. I'm usually off to another destination and those extra 15-20 minutes waiting can feel like an eternity!
I agree with GA and thought of this same thing upon reading your post. We are in the age of express check out... and the guests are ready to move on, ready to get to their next destination or home, they did not leave TIME on their schedule to PAY - they thought it was handled.
I am not in favor of a sign...they are ignored more than they are read. I agree with others here that even if you do not want to have them pay at check-in (what I do) I would at least have them sign something and tell them that payment is due at check out. This provides them knowledge of this task that must take place and their need to place this into their time schedule.
Copperhead said:
I agree with GA and thought of this same thing upon reading your post. We are in the age of express check out... and the guests are ready to move on, ready to get to their next destination or home, they did not leave TIME on their schedule to PAY - they thought it was handled.
I am not in favor of a sign...they are ignored more than they are read. I agree with others here that even if you do not want to have them pay at check-in (what I do) I would at least have them sign something and tell them that payment is due at check out. This provides them knowledge of this task that must take place and their need to place this into their time schedule.
Express checkout is not only an added service for guests, it makes asking for the payment (or at least a signature authorizing payment) at check-in more comfortable.
I just say that "We do express checkout here for all of our guests" when there's any hesitation at all. They instantly melt when they think it's a service for them rather than protection for us.

I personally prefer to pay when I check in so that when I'm finished with breakfast I can go back to my room, pack, freshen up, and leave without having to wait until you are finish serving someone else breakfast or giving someone directions, etc. I'm usually off to another destination and those extra 15-20 minutes waiting can feel like an eternity!.
GeorgiaGirl said:
I personally prefer to pay when I check in so that when I'm finished with breakfast I can go back to my room, pack, freshen up, and leave without having to wait until you are finish serving someone else breakfast or giving someone directions, etc. I'm usually off to another destination and those extra 15-20 minutes waiting can feel like an eternity!
Copperhead said:
Express checkout is not only an added service for guests, it makes asking for the payment (or at least a signature authorizing payment) at check-in more comfortable.
I just say that "We do express checkout here for all of our guests" when there's any hesitation at all. They instantly melt when they think it's a service for them rather than protection for us.
Good one
thumbs_up.gif

I stayed at an Inn over the weekend and they present your final bill at the breakfast table on the last day of your visit. This seemed very natural and perhaps would work for you.

GeorgiaGirl said:
Copperhead said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Copperhead said:
express check out meaning express check in?
I must be the ONLY innkeeper who gets "stepford guests" who arrive if not AFTER check in on a given Friday, then agitated from hours on the road. Hm, lets see if I arrived with a full bladder sore knee and blurry eyesight from driving in the snow and was asked to check in right then, I would not be all that happy. Again, during my little tryst, it is good to be the guest and see the toll travel and weather take on a guest.
Tryst SECOND Definition btw, not first:
Main Entry: 1tryst
Pronunciation: \ˈtrist, especially British ˈtrīst\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English triste appointed station for hunters, probably from trist, trust confidence, trust
Date: 14th century
1 :an agreement (as between lovers) to meet
2 : an appointed meeting or meeting place

A sign on the wall ... Sadly the same people that don't read their confirmation/instructions are the same ones that don't read wall signs. I don't think the wall sign will help you much.
Is there a good reason why you are set up as retail that would make it worth having less protection from chargebacks?
If they don't sign something on arrival (even if it is not for payment) how do you get on record that they agree to pay for damages or agree to any other policies?
I understand the part about charging them at checkout, to increase your shop sales, but I don't understand the lack of making sure you are coverered in the event things go bad..
It's a long convoluted story with the cc processor but it is easier for us to be set up as retail, and there is no additional charge back protection if you are set up for lodging, all it gives you is the extra step of having to remember to go in every day and "Check out" each person. Remember we have 9 rooms, many people to keep track of and this extra step was just one of the reasons for being set up this way.
We don't have guests sign anything...even if you do the cc is not going to pay for damages anyway. It doesn't give you any additional chargeback protection.
They agree to our policies when they book online, which is why we offer an online booking discount.
The sign is just to let them know HEY, you have to PAY for your STAY, THANKS! It'll help at least a little bit. I'm just tired of the totally shocked look when I explain they have a balance due!
We don't have guests sign anything...even if you do the cc is not going to pay for damages anyway. It doesn't give you any additional chargeback protection.
I think you'll find a few innkeepers here that will disagree with that. If you have it worded correctly, you can defend adequately against a chargeback.
...all it gives you is the extra step of having to remember to go in every day and "Check out" each person.
You can be set up as lodging and not have to do the extra step. Yes it creates better records, but the extra step is not mandatory. We don't do the extra step. We used to charge at checkout. But this past year we switched to charging at check-in (we have no shop to sell anything) and it made life a lot easier.
swirt said:
If you have it worded correctly, you can defend adequately against a chargeback. .
Agreed. Chargebacks shouldn't inspire fear; they should inspire action to make sure all those ducks are in a row to begin with so you don't get any in the future.
As long as there's a signature authorizing the charge - and the wording is such to allow the charge to fall within the credit card issuer's parameters - you're okay.
But the signature is necessary. Absolutely necessary. And required not only to prevent the chargeback but also to be in compliance with the merchant agreement.
The best way to prevent a chargeback is to be so very clear upfront, to get the guest's signature, to have clear policies that were communicated to the guest, and to provide the promised service.
The best way to get chargebacks is to be sloppy with paperwork. There are folks out there who live to scam. And they'll do it whenever there's an opening. Don't give them that opening.
Innkeepers who skip steps are bringing trouble to themselves, not preventing problems from happening.
We have a signature for the credit card charge. Luckily we've never had a chargeback so it's not an issue.
I'm closing this thread now as it's gotten so far off of the original question.
Sorry I steered this topic off course a bit. It happens in just about every thread. It's not something I close threads for. It's not really an option open to anyone else. (I didn't want people scrolling wildly and looking for the "close thread" button that isn't there ;) )
Sorry Swirt, should have clarified that I was turning it OFF (as in marking it read for myself) as the discussion has become irrelevant to the original question...didn't mean to confuse anyone who might have been looking for that "closed" button!

GeorgiaGirl said:
Copperhead said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Copperhead said:
I must be the ONLY innkeeper who gets "stepford guests" who arrive if not AFTER check in on a given Friday, then agitated from hours on the road. Hm, lets see if I arrived with a full bladder sore knee and blurry eyesight from driving in the snow and was asked to check in right then, I would not be all that happy. Again, during my little tryst, it is good to be the guest and see the toll travel and weather take on a guest.
Etymology: Middle English triste appointed station for hunters, probably from trist, trust confidence, trust
Talk about express check-in - I stayed at a B&B (full disclosure here - it turned out to be one of the very few that I haven't cared for for other reasons, too) where I arrived to find my invoice for the entire stay on the coffee table in the sitting area with the credit card slip. What if I had wanted to use a different credit card? It just kinda irked me.

GeorgiaGirl said:
Copperhead said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Copperhead said:
Talk about express check-in - I stayed at a B&B (full disclosure here - it turned out to be one of the very few that I haven't cared for for other reasons, too) where I arrived to find my invoice for the entire stay on the coffee table in the sitting area with the credit card slip. What if I had wanted to use a different credit card? It just kinda irked me.
Yeah, that's a little too express for my taste, too. Having the opportunity to review charges in advance is something I think we all appreciate when we're the guests.

GeorgiaGirl said:
Copperhead said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Copperhead said:
What if I had wanted to use a different credit card?
Exactly why I wait. I want to give my guests the option of using that beautiful thing called cash or check. No cc fees with those.

I stayed at an Inn over the weekend and they present your final bill at the breakfast table on the last day of your visit. This seemed very natural and perhaps would work for you..
See, I think I would be slightly put off by this. I would not want to deal with a bill while I am still enjoying the second part of a Bed & Breakfast. It would be akin to asking me to sign my credit card slip while in the bed before I went to sleep. I think each part of the performance needs to have it's stage time. From Entrance to Exit...the whole stay is a production.

We take a one night deposit, and I leave a copy of the guest's bill in the room for them upon arrival. Some people approach me at some point during their stay to settle the balance, but most just take off, often with a "Will you just charge my credit card with the balance?"

GeorgiaGirl said:
Copperhead said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Copperhead said:
What if I had wanted to use a different credit card?
Exactly why I wait. I want to give my guests the option of using that beautiful thing called cash or check. No cc fees with those.
I never use cash and only use checks to pay bills. Everything is tracked on credit cards and I get a 30 day float on my money. :)

We have people pay at check-in. Gets it done and over with.
We're set up for lodging, but it's not a "check-in" process, it's just a one time charge... no need to "check-out" at the end. Which is fabulous as far as I'm concerned.
If I did collect at check out, then I'd probably mention it at check in... hello, here's the door code, here's the dining room, your balance is $XXX and I'll collect it in the morning before you leave.
MANY people use a different card than the deposit. I can't imagine having the card already run when they arrive!
As far as people being surprised, many guests show up not knowing if and what they've paid so far, and if and what they owe... seems a fairly standard opearting procedure!
=)
Kk.

Back