Why do kids do this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Had a daughter book a room for her parents and herself. When she booked every room was open. She took the least expensive room. Called yesterday and was describing 'her' room to me as she was looking at it online. NO, she was describing a completely different TWO rooms, not one. The term the parents used when they checked in? Quaint.
Wonderful. Just like in real estate, 'quaint' has connotations at a B&B that are not good. Generally used to describe something that is out of date and sub par.
Kid was not paying. Why not get mom & dad a really nice room?

A. She screwed up and meant to book the other rooms.
B. She wanted to appear frugal to her parents.
C. She was hoping you'd give her an upgrade.
D. She's an idiot.
I'm sure there are some other possible motives but that's all I got.

How old was she? Could you upgrade them or were those rooms already taken?

How old was she? Could you upgrade them or were those rooms already taken?.
Country Girl said:
How old was she? Could you upgrade them or were those rooms already taken?
Thirty something and we're booked solid so no one is moving. Even YESTERDAY when she was going thru this whole song and dance I had larger rooms open. Didn't take the opportunity to change. Then it was too late.

D. She's an idiot.
I'm sure there are some other possible motives but that's all I got..
We had a very long, animated conversation on booking. I totally remember this call. Discussed the different rooms options and she chose this one. EVERY room was empty when she booked. Parents are dripping money so being frugal was a mistake! Gomez is voting for option 3. I'm voting for something along the lines of- how irritated can I make my parents before they stop coming to visit me?

Hi Morticia,
Seems you know alot in the Inn business. I am looking for a commercial lender in our neck of the woods. Let me know if you know of any in the area.
Thxs

D. She's an idiot.
We had a very long, animated conversation on booking. I totally remember this call. Discussed the different rooms options and she chose this one. EVERY room was empty when she booked. Parents are dripping money so being frugal was a mistake! Gomez is voting for option 3. I'm voting for something along the lines of- how irritated can I make my parents before they stop coming to visit me?
Morticia said:
Gomez is voting for option 3. I'm voting for something along the lines of- how irritated can I make my parents before they stop coming to visit me?
Oh yes the old passive-aggressive-parent-child-conflict thing. Always a definite possibility.

E. She has CRS
I have had calls getting info then when they call back they describe a non-existant room. What they have done is call all over to get info, then create their 'ideal' room from all they heard and expect you to have it.

OR is it:
F. If I am frugal with THEIR money now, there will be more left for ME when they croak.

Lately we seem to have had an enormous amount of people booking our cheapest room and then when they arrive and see the other rooms, are almost disappointed that they chose that one. But, of course they do not want to pay the higher price. Recently, I had a guest book our cheapest room and when he arrived said "So do I get my choice of any room I want"" Serious....he did say that and no I did not upgrade him. So that tells me that rumour is going around that you should book the cheapest room at a b & b cause you will be upgraded if the more expensive ones are not full. So, I try never to give upgrades or they will expect it all the time and will always book the cheapest room. I must admit the first year in business, I did upgrade the guests, but I think over the years I have learned it does not necessarily pay off.

D. She's an idiot.
Morticia said:
Gomez is voting for option 3. I'm voting for something along the lines of- how irritated can I make my parents before they stop coming to visit me?
Oh yes the old passive-aggressive-parent-child-conflict thing. Always a definite possibility.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
I've been learning a ton about codepedence lately. If the parents wanted to pick, then they should have booked it themselves. If they don't like which one they got, it's their own fault.
=)
Kk.

Update...totally fantastic breakfast, the family entertained everyone, talked to every table, really they were super, left a wonderful note in our guest book.
They playfully picked on each other, no sarcasm or undertones. Turned out so much better than I thought it would.

Update...totally fantastic breakfast, the family entertained everyone, talked to every table, really they were super, left a wonderful note in our guest book.
They playfully picked on each other, no sarcasm or undertones. Turned out so much better than I thought it would..
Morticia said:
They playfully picked on each other, no sarcasm or undertones. Turned out so much better than I thought it would.
Maybe the daughter knows them better than they know themselves.
wink_smile.gif

They playfully picked on each other, no sarcasm or undertones. Turned out so much better than I thought it would..
Very cool. And when they come back, they'll book 2 rooms.

Back