WHY do most of you have checkin time start at 3 pm?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
What do you take into consideration to make checkin time 3 pm? Why not four? Why not from 6-9?
Just curious as to the mental process

3:00 is sort of an industry standard...both B&Bs & hotels/motels. It gives enough time to turn over rooms. Of course there are exceptions to this.
If a B&B doesn't let me check in until 6:00, I feel ripped off. I want to be able to get into my room in the afternoon some time, freshen up and then get going with the rest of my day.

Mine is 4pm.
Most are trying to be "standarized" I would guess. Commonly it is 4or 5 for hotels.

I agree with others, industry standard as with most B&Bs and hotels. I agree with Deva, if check in was 6 or after I would feel gypped.

It's the standard time for lodging here, which is why I picked 3 PM. Generally speaking, I might be able to get all the rooms flipped in 4 hours...with help, on a good day, with the planets aligned,.....

It's the standard time for lodging here, which is why I picked 3 PM. Generally speaking, I might be able to get all the rooms flipped in 4 hours...with help, on a good day, with the planets aligned,......
Rooms are done. People are arriving to town around that time. I don't want my evenings screwed up by arrivings guests - I want my own time in the evening without interuptions.

We do 3pm because it gives time to flip the rooms and deal with minor maitenance issues that might have come up. It also gives us a window if we have to run out and go shopping ro other errands. Rarely it offers the option for the innkeeper to freshen up after flipping rooms and going shopping.
THat and we think it gives our guests a reasonable time to get in and get settled before heading out to dinner.

It's what everyone else was doing when I decided on my policies... of course, we're really by appointment, but if someone asks then it's 3-6.
I agree... get 'em in and settled... I'd much rather they came early than late.
For our weekend getaway the house is ready at 4. I wouldn't mind earlier, but if it were later I'd not be happy. 4 p.m. gives us time to move in and get dinner set. We'll be there long before, but we'll wait to go to the house itself.
=)
Kk.

With hotels, if it is not guaranteed to a credit card so they are getting the money whether you show or not, 6 PM the room becomes an available room and is yours if it is still available if you arrive later. If they have managed to sell it before you arrive at 8 - so sorry.

3:00 is sort of an industry standard...both B&Bs & hotels/motels. It gives enough time to turn over rooms. Of course there are exceptions to this.
If a B&B doesn't let me check in until 6:00, I feel ripped off. I want to be able to get into my room in the afternoon some time, freshen up and then get going with the rest of my day..
We do 4pm because it's still just the two of us with the wine tours. If DH is out doing a wine tour he won't be back until 5:30 so I have to leave work early to be there at 4pm. I can't do it any earlier.
Riki

If a B&B doesn't let me check in until 6:00, I feel ripped off. I want to be able to get into my room in the afternoon some time, freshen up and then get going with the rest of my day..
We do 4pm because it's still just the two of us with the wine tours. If DH is out doing a wine tour he won't be back until 5:30 so I have to leave work early to be there at 4pm. I can't do it any earlier.
Riki
I don't see any problem with 4:00. Don't feel bad about not being able to do earlier!

Riki
I don't see any problem with 4:00. Don't feel bad about not being able to do earlier!
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks - we are busy enough trying to keep the wine tours and the B&B bookings separate. And it's amazing how many people think the wine tour is included in the room rate. SURE!
Riki

With hotels, if it is not guaranteed to a credit card so they are getting the money whether you show or not, 6 PM the room becomes an available room and is yours if it is still available if you arrive later. If they have managed to sell it before you arrive at 8 - so sorry..
We missed flights 3 times, through no fault of our own, on our last vacation. We arrived 11:30 PM at the motel instead of our planned 6 PM. Glad they kept the lights on for us at the Comfort Inn, or whatever it was.
Our check in time is 4PM, because I need the extra time between 11AM and check in time.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a wine tour? We live 1/2 mile from a winery.
C

With hotels, if it is not guaranteed to a credit card so they are getting the money whether you show or not, 6 PM the room becomes an available room and is yours if it is still available if you arrive later. If they have managed to sell it before you arrive at 8 - so sorry..
We missed flights 3 times, through no fault of our own, on our last vacation. We arrived 11:30 PM at the motel instead of our planned 6 PM. Glad they kept the lights on for us at the Comfort Inn, or whatever it was.
Our check in time is 4PM, because I need the extra time between 11AM and check in time.
C
Erika and her husband do wine tours. They have a van where they take ...people...I am not sure how many, but say 3 or 4 couples to 3-4 different wineries. That way folks can drink the wines and someone else does the driving. She used to also provide lunch for the guests also. Maybe she will chime in here. Click on her links on one of her posts so you can learn more about her tours.
Maybe you could partner with the local winery and do a picnic lunch for guests along with free tasting from the winery. We did a package for our guests like that. It was a drive it yourself tour, wineries gave us tickets for free tastings, we gave the guests a map and directions and a picnic lunch. We charged $25 to cover the lunch. Lots of folks did it. We have lots of wineries within an hour drive.

C
remnjava said:
C
Thanks Catlady - We run wine tasting tours www.arcadyvineyard.com
We pick up guests (or they stay with us and get a 10% discount) in 7 seater vans. We book only two couples per van unless they are a group of six in which case we don't worry about tossing them all in one van. If they don't know each other we want them to sit together.
We have livery (limo) insurance which runs around $250/month for the two vans.
We pick up at 1pm (unless there are two couples with two different pickup locations in which case we pick up at 12:30 and 1pm) If they book the lunch package we pick up an hour earlier. We bring the guests back around 5 - 5:30pm.
We charge an all-inclusive fee which includes all tasting fees, bottled water and soda and a cheese/fruit/chocolate plate which is more like a lunch. The lunch package is probably underpriced right now but is a local gourmet standwich, kettle chips, cheese plate and fresh pastry dessert from our favorite bakery. Lunch is $20 per person served on Rosenthal China with silver, place mats and napkins.
Some wineries still charge us not matter what, others appreciate that our guests purchase a lot of wine and wiave the fees.
If you are starting out, don't expect the wineries to waive a tasting fee. I never asked them to - after they saw what kind of clientele we had and how we helped promote their wines, they offered it. Some actually were so commerially orientated they considered asking us to pay them more!!! (winemaker had to point out the strange thinking that led to that consideration, fortunately)
You need to have at least three wineries in a cluster to run a wine tasting tour. But if you only have one winery is there something else you could incorporate into a tour? An artist studio or something?
Or, just sell them a picnic to take with them, and ask the winery if you can prepay their tasting fees and wine glasses and sell the whole trip as a package - One night Wine Tasting Package $XXX includes room, breakfast, wine tasting and souvenir wine glass.
Two night package, ditto
Have the winery bill you or you can pay ahead or whatever they decide.
Riki

C
remnjava said:
C
We pick up guests (or they stay with us and get a 10% discount) in 7 seater vans. We book only two couples per van unless they are a group of six in which case we don't worry about tossing them all in one van. If they don't know each other we want them to sit together.
We pick up at 1pm (unless there are two couples with two different pickup locations in which case we pick up at 12:30 and 1pm) If they book the lunch package we pick up an hour earlier. We bring the guests back around 5 - 5:30pm.
We charge an all-inclusive fee which includes all tasting fees, bottled water and soda and a cheese/fruit/chocolate plate which is more like a lunch. The lunch package is probably underpriced right now but is a local gourmet standwich, kettle chips, cheese plate and fresh pastry dessert from our favorite bakery. Lunch is $20 per person served on Rosenthal China with silver, place mats and napkins.
Some wineries still charge us not matter what, others appreciate that our guests purchase a lot of wine and wiave the fees.
If you are starting out, don't expect the wineries to waive a tasting fee. I never asked them to - after they saw what kind of clientele we had and how we helped promote their wines, they offered it. Some actually were so commerially orientated they considered asking us to pay them more!!! (winemaker had to point out the strange thinking that led to that consideration, fortunately)
You need to have at least three wineries in a cluster to run a wine tasting tour. But if you only have one winery is there something else you could incorporate into a tour? An artist studio or something?
Or, just sell them a picnic to take with them, and ask the winery if you can prepay their tasting fees and wine glasses and sell the whole trip as a package - One night Wine Tasting Package $XXX includes room, breakfast, wine tasting and souvenir wine glass.
Two night package, ditto
Riki
Forgot to add - how many rooms do you have? Can you get a day license to do a wine dinner? Also, the wineries have remote licenses that they can use to do a tasting at your inn if you have enough people. I would think 5 - 10 rooms would do.
Here in Charlottesville I believe Keswick Vineyards has a thing where the winemaker will come and do a tasting for a minimum of 10 people. Just build it into the rates.
Riki

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
Gee! You pay for tastings? I have one winery and I use it as the anchor for most of my routings (with or without the lunch packages). They do not charge for the tastings. When i asked about sending packages with lunches they immediately said yes! They ask folks (when they find out they are here) where is your lunch? They appreciate the business i send them - my guests rarely buy nothing, usually at least a 3-pack and quite often, a case or two.

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
Most of the wineries here in the Blueridge Wineway all charge for their tastings. But, many of them give innkeepers coupons for our guests to present for Free tastings. They appreciate that we send our guests...who usually buy lots of wine...their way:) It is a win win for everyone.

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
Most of the wineries here in the Blueridge Wineway all charge for their tastings. But, many of them give innkeepers coupons for our guests to present for Free tastings. They appreciate that we send our guests...who usually buy lots of wine...their way:) It is a win win for everyone.
catlady said:
They are using their noggin! We have been bringing folks who 95% of the time purchase,sometimes cases, and there are still a few who charge us full price no matter what. And interestingly enough it's usually the $10, $8 charges, not the $5 ones.
Riki

Back