why do people book jacuzzi rooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingace71

Reaction score
Not trying to be offensive, just trying to understand. We are just about to take over our inn and it’s got two jacuzzi suites. My wife and I are not very excited about dealing with it. Seems like a lot of extra cleaning and moisture issues when people overfill or slosh about.
But, my other real question is (the 400 lb. gorilla in the room) do people intend to have sex in them? Is that the plan? Until they try it and find it’s a real pain with the aforementioned water going everywhere... the inability to get into ANY reasonable position... but hey, it’s not their place right?
Anyway, we know we need to keep them because they are popular. We have heard from many that only go looking for jacuzzi suites and we don’t want to lose bookings by not having the option.
We are going to have to replace one that is already leaking and causing issues, we have considered replacing with a romantic claw foot tub, maybe double ended for two. But it’s a soaking tub, not a whirlpool. Is that a deal breaker for these people?
I’d love to hear everyone’s perspectives on it. Thanks!

Up front, maybe I'm not the one to answer, don't have a jacuzzi tub and never used one, but I'm a firm believer in doing that which makes life good for you as the innkeeper for the long run and see all those same issues with cleaning and damage to the property.
Is your target market for your inn sexy young couples and parties, are they the folks YOU will enjoy, if so add more, if not, eliminate. Every once in a great while someone asks if we have a room with a jacuzzi, same is true with fireplace, pool or a few other features, but I can't be all things to all people. While I have fond memories of a claw foot tub as a child, I see some of the same issues with water.
I can't say I'm correct, but feel that some of these type items are all about the perception or mental image that guests have in advance of their holiday, but of course if we got in such a tub you'd have to come help us out so it is not high on my personal list.
I also seem to remember looking at potential lodging with my daughter-in-law prior to she and my son getting married, place had a jacuzzi tub, looked like a cute idea, but her opinion was "those things don't get cleaned properly, I wouldn't get in that", just depends on your guests and what you need to fill rooms.

Lots of guests book them with the intention of using them, but never do. 15 years ago we were told to take one room, remove the second bed and put it a jetted tub.
We didn't. I could not see wasting all that water! Plus the noise and the cleaning.

I have the claw-foot tub that was original to the house. When I created the second (ensuite) bathroom, it was moved into the new bathroom - replaced it in the original bathroom with a 60 inch shower. I do not have a Jacuzzi because I do not want to have to clean the damned thing - AND it would require a steel beam in MY bedroom to support the floor.
I have heard many people express the opinion of "I would never use that because I do not know how it was cleaned".
The claw-foot is good for those who prefer a bath to a shower, - the ensuite also has a 48-inch shower - gives a place to soak aching muscles after a bike or hike on the rail-trail, or to satisfy that romantic image of a claw-foot tub and bubble bath.
In the end, only you can decide the to be or not to be by looking at the work involved and the guests you hope to attract (type, not numbers) and the expense of purchase with the new one you already know about, installation, maintenance, and operation.

When we took over, 7 of our 9 rooms had jacuzzi tubs. Aside from the use you mentioned (most are too small for two people to be honest), our guests like them because after a day of skiing or hiking, it's therapeutic. They're a pain to clean, and you regularly have to flush bleach through them to keep the lines sanitary. Also, most wear with age and get rough and gritty feeling.
Fewer and fewer guests use or like them. As we remodel baths, we've been ripping them out and converting to dual (couples) showers. Still sexy, but easier to clean and much more modern.

If you're going to replace one, get a Sanijet (now called Purewater).
The only cleaning you do is the same cleaning you'd do for any tub. Wipe down/disinfect the tub and scrub off any bathtub ring. They don't have all the hoses to flush and disinfect that jacuzzis have. Each jet is its own self-contained unit that just sucks in the water and shoots it right back out. They work great.
I've had 5 Sanijets for years. Zero problems. Also, I've never had any problem with people overfilling and sloshing water on the floor. As Morticia said, people want them, just in case, but most never even use them.
And sex? Some are going to do it whether it's a plain tub, a jet tub, a shower, a chair, a floor. Some even use the bed! On the subject of chairs, get leather or vinyl, not cloth. Something you can clean and that won't show wine stains.
And wine? Some are going to drink it whether it's a plain tub, a jet tub, a shower, a chair, a floor. Some even use the bed!

If you're going to replace one, get a Sanijet (now called Purewater).
The only cleaning you do is the same cleaning you'd do for any tub. Wipe down/disinfect the tub and scrub off any bathtub ring. They don't have all the hoses to flush and disinfect that jacuzzis have. Each jet is its own self-contained unit that just sucks in the water and shoots it right back out. They work great.
I've had 5 Sanijets for years. Zero problems. Also, I've never had any problem with people overfilling and sloshing water on the floor. As Morticia said, people want them, just in case, but most never even use them.
And sex? Some are going to do it whether it's a plain tub, a jet tub, a shower, a chair, a floor. Some even use the bed! On the subject of chairs, get leather or vinyl, not cloth. Something you can clean and that won't show wine stains.
And wine? Some are going to drink it whether it's a plain tub, a jet tub, a shower, a chair, a floor. Some even use the bed!.
I agree with Arks. My take on the reason my guests pick my 1 room with Sanijet tub over a nearly identical room with an awesome shower is because they don’t have to clean it.

As the others have said, in the end, it's your decision on what your niche is. Or better said, what you want your niche to be as it is your Inn now. Several of our rooms have a 2 person Jacuzzi spa tub. We charge more for them, and they are probably our most popular rooms. We also have a couple of rooms with hot tubs outside on their deck; these are also very popular. And this year we are now the only ones in our area that have rooms with private outside hot tubs in individual rooms; so I am thinking of raising our price for these 2 rooms as they are hard to find. And we plan to add outdoor hot tubs to two more rooms. I am just trying to figure out how (if) we can work it so folks can choose to rent the room with or without the hot tub (secure it), and price accordingly. We do have 2 rooms with both Jacuzzis and dual shower heads, but folks just seem to ask about the Jacuzzis. Nobody has ever mentioned the dual shower heads (but ours are not fancy).
I've only heard folks comment about cleanliness a couple of times, and it was regarding the outside hot tubs where there is water constantly. We do get it serviced regularly. Never (yet) about the indoor Jacuzzis. They book the rooms because of them.
But then again, we are more known as a romantic getaway (only one bed in each room). That is our niche and it makes sense for us. When it comes to family holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, we are busy but not full like our neighboring competitors. All the 2-3 BR houses, cottages and AB&Bs etc that surround us are full during these holidays because they can accommodate large / multiple families. Come Valentine, anniversaries and engagements, however, we are busy. What Arks says is funny, and true; many times only one person really wants it. But we tend to get older couples who find that once they are here, the tub gets the romance going again. The younger ones tend to be the messy ones, but more about how they abuse the towels then splashing water. I do have some ladies who do the cleaning, but I have to be ready to do it myself if they don't show up. And luckily my husband used to be a licensed contractor, and is good at fixing these things. Otherwise, it could get expensive fast. Like several others said, you have to decide what makes sense for you, not just now, but down the road.
We inherited all these Jacuzzis, so no plans to remove them, let alone remodel. But when it's time to replace, I will tell my husband about Sanijets (Purewater). Thank you, Arks!

As the others have said, in the end, it's your decision on what your niche is. Or better said, what you want your niche to be as it is your Inn now. Several of our rooms have a 2 person Jacuzzi spa tub. We charge more for them, and they are probably our most popular rooms. We also have a couple of rooms with hot tubs outside on their deck; these are also very popular. And this year we are now the only ones in our area that have rooms with private outside hot tubs in individual rooms; so I am thinking of raising our price for these 2 rooms as they are hard to find. And we plan to add outdoor hot tubs to two more rooms. I am just trying to figure out how (if) we can work it so folks can choose to rent the room with or without the hot tub (secure it), and price accordingly. We do have 2 rooms with both Jacuzzis and dual shower heads, but folks just seem to ask about the Jacuzzis. Nobody has ever mentioned the dual shower heads (but ours are not fancy).
I've only heard folks comment about cleanliness a couple of times, and it was regarding the outside hot tubs where there is water constantly. We do get it serviced regularly. Never (yet) about the indoor Jacuzzis. They book the rooms because of them.
But then again, we are more known as a romantic getaway (only one bed in each room). That is our niche and it makes sense for us. When it comes to family holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, we are busy but not full like our neighboring competitors. All the 2-3 BR houses, cottages and AB&Bs etc that surround us are full during these holidays because they can accommodate large / multiple families. Come Valentine, anniversaries and engagements, however, we are busy. What Arks says is funny, and true; many times only one person really wants it. But we tend to get older couples who find that once they are here, the tub gets the romance going again. The younger ones tend to be the messy ones, but more about how they abuse the towels then splashing water. I do have some ladies who do the cleaning, but I have to be ready to do it myself if they don't show up. And luckily my husband used to be a licensed contractor, and is good at fixing these things. Otherwise, it could get expensive fast. Like several others said, you have to decide what makes sense for you, not just now, but down the road.
We inherited all these Jacuzzis, so no plans to remove them, let alone remodel. But when it's time to replace, I will tell my husband about Sanijets (Purewater). Thank you, Arks!.
Can you set your base rate to be without the hot tub and do that as an add on? Or reversed?
Room alone $xxx. Room with hot tub $xxx + $xx.
You'd need a good system for locking them down. There are those people out there...

We have one whirlpool (2-person) spa room and it books 3-4 times for every time the room without the spa is booked. Also, the photo of that tub with bubbles and candles and wine is a huge eye catcher for people looking for a room online.

Cleaning is not a big deal. We have an electric wand with some kind of rotating pad on it. We spray down the tub with a cleaner and then the wand does all the scrubbing. Then it's just a quick rinse and wipe and then a final check for stray hair using a flashlight. Takes no more than 5 minutes tops.
People book the whirlpool room because it's romantic. Nothing better than putting on the electronic candles, turning off the lights and then sharing a glass of wine while she leans back against your chest. :) If I was with a woman who liked romance and actually liked sex I'd always book a whirlpool room. So, yeah, they are good for your revenue!

And yes they will have sex in the tub, in the shower, over the back of the chairs, on the floor, on the seat in the shower....

Last week we found a chair moved from the other side of the room over to the tub with a strap from one of the robes draped over the back of the chair. I thought it ironic that they didn't put the chair back when they checked out.

So we have torn out the old one and we have had the entire room rebuilt from the subfloor and up. All waterproofed and done right this time with insulation in the walls and surround. A new tub, better/higher quality, is on the way. We also upped our rates on the two jacuzzi rooms we have and they are booking up fast for the year already! So, I’ll take some extra $$ for the extra cleaning. The new tub has an inline heater as well, so it will be a better experience for people as well, we hope. Thanks for all your advice.

So we have torn out the old one and we have had the entire room rebuilt from the subfloor and up. All waterproofed and done right this time with insulation in the walls and surround. A new tub, better/higher quality, is on the way. We also upped our rates on the two jacuzzi rooms we have and they are booking up fast for the year already! So, I’ll take some extra $$ for the extra cleaning. The new tub has an inline heater as well, so it will be a better experience for people as well, we hope. Thanks for all your advice..
Our tub has an inline heater too. I added a wall switch that would allow turning that heater off and on. Guests can choose if they want to turn it on. Turning it on doesn't mean its on it just means it has power. The heater only actually turns on if it detects water flow.
As long as you have it apart if you like the idea of having some control over the heater now is the time to do it!

Back