Why do the challanging guest come at the worst time?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverspoon

Reaction score
I'm getting ready. I am toast, it's hot, end of August and I am ready for a break. Word has it that this one, arriving tomorrow, is a doozy. Been coming to the area for over 40 years but is just now, for the first time, staying with us. He has "slept around" so other innkeepers have all had their turn hosting him. Last summer he called to book this summer for 2 weeks. I gave him 10 days which is 3 days more than we usually allow. He called with "back problems" on his arrival day to say he didn't know when he would be here....maybe in a day or two but he was paying for all the days he booked. (Damn right!) Looks like he'll only be here 8 of the 10 days, so maybe we'll be lucky.
Apparently, he is one of the needy ones. A shrink from the city arriving alone. Lonely. Tries to get other guests to invite him to join them for dinner and activities. Wanders the house looking for company. You know the type. Wish us luck.

They come because you're full and your defenses are weakening in the weeks leading up to your own vacation!

Because they can. Plus, if you were not so worn out and READY for a vacation, you would just slough him off. It is because it is your worst time that he IS a challenging guest.

I'm not your new best friend. That's what I have trouble with. In the past 2 weeks I've had too many of the ones who plop down in a comfy chair (while I am left standing) and want to either tell me everything they've ever done or ask me a million questions.
I don't 'do' small talk.

agreed, the difficulty is amplified when you need a break.
i have a suggestion regarding the needy, challenging guest with a reputation that precedes him.
anticipate that he will need face time with you and sort of schedule it in.
hopefully he is a reader so you can give him little lists of things happening that day ... hand it to him at breakfast or at day's end.
seat him near the chattiest, most outgoing guests you have.
set up clear boundaries for yourself and what you are going to say if he asks to help, to join you for dinner, etc.
carry your phone with you and press the ring button so you can 'answer' i had to employ this tactic to interrupt my puppy guests.
hey, here is a new one for the glossary. the puppy. the guest who wants to stay by your side and play or just sit in your lap ... and who doesn't understand 'no'.

i have a suggestion regarding the needy, challenging guest with a reputation that precedes him.
hopefully he is a reader so you can give him little lists of things happening that day ... hand it to him at breakfast or at day's end.
set up clear boundaries for yourself and what you are going to say if he asks to help, to join you for dinner, etc.
carry your phone with you and press the ring button so you can 'answer' i had to employ this tactic to interrupt my puppy guests.
hey, here is a new one for the glossary. the puppy. the guest who wants to stay by your side and play or just sit in your lap ... and who doesn't understand 'no'. .
We had a group here whose reputation preceeded them. We laid out the groundrules based on what everyone else said had been the problem areas. Oddly, having them here and understanding their problems made us lay things out differently and it helped ALL of our subsequent guests.

Make a list of local restaurants that have a counter. This way, he can go to dinner and not sit alone.

hey, here is a new one for the glossary. the puppy. the guest who wants to stay by your side and play or just sit in your lap ... and who doesn't understand 'no'. .
Great ideas that I will pass on to DH who will be doing one on one with him for breakfast tomorrow since one couple left early due to illness and the other will be hitting the road very early to try to avoid the weekend traffic tie-ups. He knows the area very well so he already knows the places that suit him.
DH is much better with small talk, I simply don't have the time or patience for lengthy chats. So with a little luck, our "puppy" (love that!
wink_smile.gif
) will adjust and fall in line.
I have no problem just excusing myself if a guest is too demanding. Usually, I just give them the "innkeeper is like a duck" talk and tell them it's time to start "paddling like hell" to get all our chores done. But I'll carry my phone...just in case!

seashanty said:
hey, here is a new one for the glossary. the puppy. the guest who wants to stay by your side and play or just sit in your lap ... and who doesn't understand 'no'.
PERFECT
shades_smile.gif

He still hasn't arrived. Supposedly today is the day....already into the 4th day of his 10-day reservation. We'll see. He e-mailed the innkeepers at the place he stayed a couple of times over the past few years and asked if it was OK for him to stop by and pick up the chair, umbrella and BBQ he left with them for "storage" a couple of years ago. Needless to say, those things had already been taken to the transfer station. He was not a happy camper!

He still hasn't arrived. Supposedly today is the day....already into the 4th day of his 10-day reservation. We'll see. He e-mailed the innkeepers at the place he stayed a couple of times over the past few years and asked if it was OK for him to stop by and pick up the chair, umbrella and BBQ he left with them for "storage" a couple of years ago. Needless to say, those things had already been taken to the transfer station. He was not a happy camper!.
WHAT??? How dare they throw out his unwanted crap!!!! This guy must be a real winner. I sure hope you can stand him when he gets there!!! Check him in and then run!!!

He still hasn't arrived. Supposedly today is the day....already into the 4th day of his 10-day reservation. We'll see. He e-mailed the innkeepers at the place he stayed a couple of times over the past few years and asked if it was OK for him to stop by and pick up the chair, umbrella and BBQ he left with them for "storage" a couple of years ago. Needless to say, those things had already been taken to the transfer station. He was not a happy camper!.
He e-mailed the innkeepers at the place he stayed a couple of times over the past few years and asked if it was OK for him to stop by and pick up the chair, umbrella and BBQ he left with them for "storage" a couple of years ago. Needless to say, those things had already been taken to the transfer station. He was not a happy camper!
NOW you know why it is your turn! He needs a new storage unit.

He e-mailed the innkeepers at the place he stayed a couple of times over the past few years and asked if it was OK for him to stop by and pick up the chair, umbrella and BBQ he left with them for "storage" a couple of years ago. Needless to say, those things had already been taken to the transfer station. He was not a happy camper!
At this point we are not sure it IS our turn.....First he was arriving on Thursday...then it was Sunday....then it was Saturday...yesterday it was back to Sunday...today he called and said "It's such a nice day...I think I'll bike around the city and drive to you tomorrow". So now it's Monday. If he doesn't show up tomorrow he will have used up his 50% deposit for the 10 days of his reservation. That's when it will get REALLY interesting! We have turned away a bunch of people who wanted to stay this week. Now I'm wishing I had taken names.
This is a first for us. We don't usualy get guests who are so casual about giving up almost $1500 in deposit.
wow.gif
On the one hand, it's been nice not having the work and not having to deal, face to face with HIM.
wink_smile.gif
On the other hand, all this waiting around is getting on our nerves.

At this point we are not sure it IS our turn.....First he was arriving on Thursday...then it was Sunday....then it was Saturday...yesterday it was back to Sunday...today he called and said "It's such a nice day...I think I'll bike around the city and drive to you tomorrow". So now it's Monday. If he doesn't show up tomorrow he will have used up his 50% deposit for the 10 days of his reservation. That's when it will get REALLY interesting! We have turned away a bunch of people who wanted to stay this week. Now I'm wishing I had taken names.
This is a first for us. We don't usualy get guests who are so casual about giving up almost $1500 in deposit.
wow.gif
On the one hand, it's been nice not having the work and not having to deal, face to face with HIM.
wink_smile.gif
Yeah I bet that can be real nerve racking. He does understand he is losing his deposit doesn't he? Good luck when he finally shows up!

wow.gif
wink_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
And that is what would be driving me bonkers.

wow.gif
wink_smile.gif
Yeah I bet that can be real nerve racking. He does understand he is losing his deposit doesn't he? Good luck when he finally shows up!
Oh, yes....the deposit came as a check back in Feb. so he won't get that back. The innkeeper who had the "nerve" to toss his junk says that he always pays for days he doesn't use. Never complains about losing the $$$. Can't wait to see what he is driving
shades_smile.gif
!

Sounds like an eccentric individual.
Sorry you are "on hold" at this time, that would drive me bonkers. Our guests arrive later and later, last night, after all rooms check out and we bust buns to get them cleaned for check in, they arrive after 10pm. They said 4pm. This happens regularly. I remember the old forum or other forum who accused those who have "self checkins" as being horribly inhospitable, but there is no way we can be ON 24 hours a day, humanly impossible.
So last night even though the note was out, I was 'waiting' for them. We all know the routine, will they show, will they no show? I thought of you Silverspoon, waiting not for 6 hours but for days on that wing nut!

Sorry you are "on hold" at this time, that would drive me bonkers. Our guests arrive later and later, last night, after all rooms check out and we bust buns to get them cleaned for check in, they arrive after 10pm. They said 4pm. This happens regularly. I remember the old forum or other forum who accused those who have "self checkins" as being horribly inhospitable, but there is no way we can be ON 24 hours a day, humanly impossible.
So last night even though the note was out, I was 'waiting' for them. We all know the routine, will they show, will they no show? I thought of you Silverspoon, waiting not for 6 hours but for days on that wing nut!.
Today is Monday, the last day of his paid-up-deposit for his 10-day reservation. I have left him a voice message telling him that we have appointments scheduled for today and that we are available after 3:00 PM to check him in. I'll be damned if we will give up the entire day sitting on our hands waiting for him to arrive. So we are heading out to visit friends once the rooms are fluffed.
We still have no idea if he will check in today, but, if he does not show up today, I do not want to ever see his face in our B+B. I would rather give up the $$$ than to put up with this nonsense.

So last night even though the note was out, I was 'waiting' for them. We all know the routine, will they show, will they no show? I thought of you Silverspoon, waiting not for 6 hours but for days on that wing nut!.
Joey Bloggs said:
So last night even though the note was out, I was 'waiting' for them. We all know the routine, will they show, will they
no show
? I thought of you Silverspoon, waiting not for 6 hours but for days on that wing nut!
The note was out and they rang the bell anyway. So I had to drag myself out there in my jammies just to find them in the house with the note in hand. 'We didn't see it...'

He arrived last night at 11:00PM...the fifth night of his 5-night deposit. DH is taking control and I am staying in the background cooking, cleaning and taking the "balance due" to the bank.
tounge_smile.gif
For some reason he thought he would be checking out on Monday and DH gently showed him a copy of his confirmation showing that his scheduled departure is on Sunday, BEFORE 10:30AM.
So far so good...keeping our fingers crossed.

Back