Why do they do this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Found one room today that was quite a mess. Coasters unused, but every piece of paper I have in the room (welcome card, postcards, etc) were all used as coasters. Nice that they tried to protect the surfaces but why use those items when the coasters were right there where they had put the paper down? And, why rip open a brand new box of tissues so it is unusable for anyone else? The box was 'functioning' when put in the room. Now it is in shreds. This is a full box of tissues. Ugh.

What sort of coasters do you have? Some people think my coasters are ash trays, yet the rooms say THANK YOU FOR NOT SMOKING. Go figure.

What sort of coasters do you have? Some people think my coasters are ash trays, yet the rooms say THANK YOU FOR NOT SMOKING. Go figure..
These look like coasters.
wink_smile.gif
Square, wood, with a cork center in a lovely rack that shows they are coasters. Other coasters I have do not have any indents that might look like a receptacle.

We keep an open box of 250 Puff/Kleenex in the room next to the bed. We refill this, since it is hard to find anything resembling red/maroon in the box colors.

We keep an open box of 250 Puff/Kleenex in the room next to the bed. We refill this, since it is hard to find anything resembling red/maroon in the box colors..
This particular room has 3 boxes of tissues. I'm still annoyed that I now have a useless box of tissues. I'll put them in my car.

People are strange. We in this business, other than here, cannot speak of the things people do in their homes. I mean, who the heck knows why someone does something. Remember my STUMP THE INNKEEPER I had a few of those lately and I forgot to put them on here. Whazzit? Or something I called that thread. I will get on that again.
WHY guests do something is Part ii of stump the innkeeper.

And, why rip open a brand new box of tissues so it is unusable for anyone else?
Look for evidence that they snuck a dog into the room. Ripping into a box of tissues is something I've seen dogs do on too many occasions.

maybe they thought your coasters were 'too nice' to use? i've had that happen here!
'we thought your xyz was too nice to use, so we used this instead.' brand new towels, i was so happy to put them in the guest rooms and a lady came looking for paper towels ... i thought a spill or something ... no, towels were too nice to use. cute. she was a sweet lady. wanted to take my stained family towels that i don't use in the guest rooms once they are like that and use those for herself.

Look for evidence that they snuck a dog into the room. Ripping into a box of tissues is something I've seen dogs do on too many occasions..
swirt said:
Look for evidence that they snuck a dog into the room. Ripping into a box of tissues is something I've seen dogs do on too many occasions.
Good one, but no teeth marks on box. Hubs had a list going...it was on the floor so they stepped on it. It was on the bed so they sat on it. They used the empty wine bottles as bats and that was the ball.

maybe they thought your coasters were 'too nice' to use? i've had that happen here!
'we thought your xyz was too nice to use, so we used this instead.' brand new towels, i was so happy to put them in the guest rooms and a lady came looking for paper towels ... i thought a spill or something ... no, towels were too nice to use. cute. she was a sweet lady. wanted to take my stained family towels that i don't use in the guest rooms once they are like that and use those for herself..
seashanty said:
'we thought your xyz was too nice to use, so we used this instead.' brand new towels, i was so happy to put them in the guest rooms and a lady came looking for paper towels ... i thought a spill or something ... no, towels were too nice to use. cute. she was a sweet lady. wanted to take my stained family towels that i don't use in the guest rooms once they are like that and use those for herself.
I think the coasters need replacing so no one would consider them 'too nice'.
tounge_smile.gif

'we thought your xyz was too nice to use, so we used this instead.' brand new towels, i was so happy to put them in the guest rooms and a lady came looking for paper towels ... i thought a spill or something ... no, towels were too nice to use. cute. she was a sweet lady. wanted to take my stained family towels that i don't use in the guest rooms once they are like that and use those for herself..
seashanty said:
tounge_smile.gif

hmmmm

seashanty said:
tounge_smile.gif

A totally useless inn reviewer stayed here once (before I heard Christy of California's story about her accusing her housekeeper of theft, unfortunately) who wrote in her feedback to me - you shouldn't use plastic coasters in the rooms. Well, there are no plastic coasters anywhere - in her room, they were vintage painted wood; in other rooms glass, or ceramic, or bamboo.
angry_smile.gif
I had a grand old time finding vintage coasters that matched the rooms on Ebay for a few weeks.
She also thought all the lamps should match - how boring!! Needless to say, we won't be having her back ever.

seashanty said:
tounge_smile.gif

A totally useless inn reviewer stayed here once (before I heard Christy of California's story about her accusing her housekeeper of theft, unfortunately) who wrote in her feedback to me - you shouldn't use plastic coasters in the rooms. Well, there are no plastic coasters anywhere - in her room, they were vintage painted wood; in other rooms glass, or ceramic, or bamboo.
angry_smile.gif
I had a grand old time finding vintage coasters that matched the rooms on Ebay for a few weeks.
She also thought all the lamps should match - how boring!! Needless to say, we won't be having her back ever.
All the lamps matching...Can you say motel decor? That is such an odd comment about a historic property. Broken, damaged, or non-functioning lamps is one thing.
I have an antique brass lamp with porcelain that was my Mom's in our living room. I am mortified that there is a tiny tear on the inside of the silk shade which happened when I moved it here. I can't find a comparable silk shade in the right shape, so there it is. Oh, well....
Sad to say, I would love to have some vintage coasters!! I have picked them up & set them back down. Most of the coasters in the rooms are those absorbant type but I searched for ones that matched each room's decor. Glasses sweat here from the humidity!

Back