Why do we get so many first time B&B Goers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Another room of first time B&B goers, I know many on this forum have a high percentage of first timers as well. Any idea what it is, the law of averages, or?
These guests, in Jersey accent said to me after the check in "No no if there is anything you need, you let US know!" I had to laugh. They are out on the porch enjoying the 85 degree sunshine.
This morning a retired older gentleman from another part of our state came up to me at check out and said "I have to tell you something. I would not even try going to a Bed and Breakfast they just are not my thing, they have all those dough-lees every where." I said, "Dough lees? Ahhhhh doilies." I said, "Come on now you have just seen that on tv!" I pointed at a doiley I have in the dining room on the buffet. :) Anyway, another first timer - he loved the atmosphere and enjoyed ever minute.

I think the fact that you get so many first-timers is a testimony to the success of your website and blog. They clearly feel like they're going to enjoy staying there and are willing to try something new.

I get a lot of 1st timers too, JB. For me I think it is due to my location and if someone doesn't want the average mid to low range hotel then I am it. I turn a lot into B&B people and those I don't - no one else would want either!!
cry_smile.gif

This reminds me of some repeat guests I had a couple of weeks ago...she came in hugging us like old friends - so glad to be back. We were their 1st B&B experience acoule of years ago, and they say that is all they stay at now... Good people!

I have always been surprised at how many first-timers we have had. Even when we were 3 w/shared! THAT was what surprised me! I am proud to say I have coverted many of them to B & B.
I had a lawyer from Oklahoma who usually stayed at the B & B north of me but they were going to be out-of-town and booked her with me. My grandsons happened to be visiting. she was back earlier than expected and in her room and we were having a simple supper so I knocked on her door and asked if she would like to join us. She did and told me that after that, she realized B & B were just nice places and from then on, when traveling for the State made them book her into a B & B - even if she had to pay the over per diem herself. She sent us her Christmas newsletter for years after...

Hello I think part of it is that fact that people are sick of these big corporate places where no-one gives a monkeys. Also where I live in all the big hotels 95% of the staff don't speak English as a first language so they never speak to the guests. No one ever said the people were really friendly and the room was really clean with a personal touch and so I hated it did they?

Okay so these guests were smokers. This may be part of it. Just thought about that. Smokers like to smoke in bed. I am glad they gave us a shot. They wandered around and loved every minute, I hope they can like B&B's. He was delighted at check in to find homemade brownies, and rootbeer! He loved it. They sat by the ponds and enjoyed the afternoon.
I got the coffee up and at em early as I knew they would like a pot with their cig's outside this morning, and sure enough, they were out there at 7am enjoying it. My mother is a heavy smoker and I know her routine. Not to start a thread on smoking, but we have had two rooms in the past week who had a smoker. Both said they would be back.

Okay so these guests were smokers. This may be part of it. Just thought about that. Smokers like to smoke in bed. I am glad they gave us a shot. They wandered around and loved every minute, I hope they can like B&B's. He was delighted at check in to find homemade brownies, and rootbeer! He loved it. They sat by the ponds and enjoyed the afternoon.
I got the coffee up and at em early as I knew they would like a pot with their cig's outside this morning, and sure enough, they were out there at 7am enjoying it. My mother is a heavy smoker and I know her routine. Not to start a thread on smoking, but we have had two rooms in the past week who had a smoker. Both said they would be back..
Not trying to continue the sway to the thread but I think (in general) smokers have become so use to having to go to certain areas to smoke that it is no big deal for them now. I have had only one smoke in the room, don't think he will be doing that again anywhere. He left a day early and was charged for that on top of the additional cleaning fee. He tried a chargeback and lost. - A first time B&B'er most likely his last.

I got the coffee up and at em early as I knew they would like a pot with their cig's outside this morning, and sure enough, they were out there at 7am enjoying it. My mother is a heavy smoker and I know her routine. Not to start a thread on smoking, but we have had two rooms in the past week who had a smoker. Both said they would be back..
Not trying to continue the sway to the thread but I think (in general) smokers have become so use to having to go to certain areas to smoke that it is no big deal for them now. I have had only one smoke in the room, don't think he will be doing that again anywhere. He left a day early and was charged for that on top of the additional cleaning fee. He tried a chargeback and lost. - A first time B&B'er most likely his last.
copperhead said:
I agree, but they like hotel rooms where they can smoke in the room. If that is unavailable, then a room with an exterior corridor. I try to let those who smoke realize there is a room (cottage) where you can step outside the door onto a small patio to light up, vs running up and down these stairs slamming the front door and smoking on the "Tinder box" of a porch. I don't have ashtrays out there, I do have one by the pond. :)

Back