Why do you do it?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? Because when I started this I was blissfully ignorant of how much work it would entail. I realized my arch enemy would constantly be taunting me (housekeepeing -UGH!) and that I would be entertaining people and cooking which was no problem. But had no clue about the marketing, web sites and a lot of the other stuff that goes with this. I also had no idea about what eciting doors this would open for me. I was wise enough to keep it small enough for me to handle the B & B AND to walk through those open doors.
Why do I keep doing it? I truly enjoy my guests and know that having my B & B serves a very important purpose in this City and its economy. Having my B & B and the things I offer are important to the people who come here. I am the only place for horse owners for their travels for one. It is something that gives me satisfaction. Most years it generates enough revenue to cover expenses. And the doors it opened keep me from being bored and/or boring.

I did it because after 20 years of working for the financial benefit of others, I knew I could take my experience and skillset and put it to work for myself. It was a B&B because my career had always been lodging. It was a small B&B because I wanted to do it all myself, with no staffing concerns or expense.
It was never our plan to do it forever, but to sell the Inn at some point and come out the other end mortgage free. I never really expected it to be so much fun, and our guests to be so truly wonderful. We were truly blessed to have found the right buyers so quickly, and in this economy...especially considering that all the "authorities" in the industry said that a small B&B will never sell as a B&B, will never provide a living, will never get financed.
I say they can put that in their pipes and smoke it!!

Are you in this profession/industry/position for something to do, or to do something?

Really been pondering this. I definitely entered the fray to do something - I think I can bring a meaningful perspective to innkeeping that is different - just enough different - from other places to matter. That is, will make a stay at our place different. It was interesting to me to listen to the po's of our house (they also ran it as a BnB, but wouldn't sell as one). She shared much of the same persective on hospitality that I had in mind.
The problem is, I find it can get lost in all the *other* stuff. The other work GH mentions - the marketing, web sites, and I find there's a delicate dance with regards to community relations - even NOT getting it done can become overwhelming and sap my mental energy. I find there are times when running the BnB becomes something to do - not in the sense of a hobby (yikes, I can think of other activities for leisure!), but in the sense of ONE (TWO, FIVE, TEN) MORE things to do. And it's unpleasant, and I begin to resent guests...
So for me, my current challenge is to continue my endeavor to do something (something interesting, something valuable, something appreciate-able), and intentionally refocus when it becomes something to/ do.

We were drawn to innkeeping definitely to "be our own boss" and particularly to our area/house because of a deep love of the history. For our Inn we are all about that history, sharing it with others and helping them get the most out of their time here.
What I find interesting is that for both DH and I the marketing and website stuff are what we truly LOVE! I see a future for us in helping other innkeepers maximize their assets and really sell to their intended markets.

It's during this time each year where the business has slowed that I'm able to get back my perspective on being an innkeeper. Now that we're not just busting our humps every day, we're able to take more time to relax, enjoy the guests and not have to be "on" all the time. The guests attitudes also change...slower, more relaxed, not having to see everything in one day, and happy to just sit by the fire and read a good book.
I guess to answer the original question, I'm here to do something...share the gift of hospitality with others and to share our area with those who are willing to take a deep breath and reconnect with each other. Today, life is good.

I did it because after 20 years of working for the financial benefit of others, I knew I could take my experience and skillset and put it to work for myself. It was a B&B because my career had always been lodging. It was a small B&B because I wanted to do it all myself, with no staffing concerns or expense.
It was never our plan to do it forever, but to sell the Inn at some point and come out the other end mortgage free. I never really expected it to be so much fun, and our guests to be so truly wonderful. We were truly blessed to have found the right buyers so quickly, and in this economy...especially considering that all the "authorities" in the industry said that a small B&B will never sell as a B&B, will never provide a living, will never get financed.
I say they can put that in their pipes and smoke it!!.
wendydk said:
I say they can put that in their pipes and smoke it!!
AWESOME!!!
I do it so I can be home with my kids, teach them life and business skills, run my own business, be my own boss, meet cool people, make some money, and work my tail off! (Which is good for me... I'm not complaining... really...)
=)
Kk.

We were drawn to innkeeping definitely to "be our own boss" and particularly to our area/house because of a deep love of the history. For our Inn we are all about that history, sharing it with others and helping them get the most out of their time here.
What I find interesting is that for both DH and I the marketing and website stuff are what we truly LOVE! I see a future for us in helping other innkeepers maximize their assets and really sell to their intended markets..
DD - I know a few Innkeepers who could really use your help in the marketing and website stuff...let me know when you are ready to pursue this avenue!

I'm looking towards B&B as a second career for the reason that after so many years of being a business owner.....I couldn't work for someone else...Also, I know myself....I need to stay busy and I much prefer having interaction with people.
On the other hand......I like my down time, my quiet time......
I'll figure out a balance, so that I keep my sanity :)

What I find interesting is that for both DH and I the marketing and website stuff are what we truly LOVE! I see a future for us in helping other innkeepers maximize their assets and really sell to their intended markets..
DD - I know a few Innkeepers who could really use your help in the marketing and website stuff...let me know when you are ready to pursue this avenue!
teeth_smile.gif
Will do!

We do it because we're retired and it provides extra income and a helluva tax write-off.

I often wonder why we do it.
I know I do it so I do not have to go to an office every day, especially in our cold winters.
I know I do it because I love this old house up one the hill overlooking the city.
Just think about how much we have learned just talking to new guests every day.
Though I often wonder if perhaps we should have just bought a motel instead of a b & b.
There was one downtown in this city for sale the exact same time as our b & b (same price as the b & b) was for sale. That motel is now full every single night. I have learned that in this city, people would rather stay in a motel/hotel than a b & b. I’m trying to change that. Last night I had a lady call to see if we had a room. I told her our address and all the many amenities she would be getting (for the same price as a motel) and then she said. “You know I think we’ll just look for a motel and call you back if we can’t find one”. UGH!
And so we keep plugging along and yes we are about to start our slow period as well and another b and b is opening next week.

Back