Why do YOU love YOUR B&B?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Sorry, aspirings, you can only answer this one if you've already bought your house and have begun your renovations!
But in light of my trip this weekend, I have a deeper appreciation than ever for my own place! What do YOU like about YOURS?
Some things I love about mine:
My brand-new custom-built 4' x 20" retractable laundry board/folding table.
My laundry chute.
My 7' x 3' spice rack.
My cozy tiny basement bathroom with the cool 1950's square tub.
The size of our rooms (big enough, but not too big!)
Our fun room themes and decor.
When people enjoy the screened-in patio.
Coming home in the evening and seeing it all lit up.
Our gorgeous new sign with the real gold letters.
Using individual s&p shakers.
Living in a quiet midwestern town.
Hand-held shower heads.
Feeling like we've provided for our guests needs with our amenities (TV's, wifi, desks, hair dryers, etc.)
Having a use for my mom's furniture.
Having an excuse to buy yet more glassware.
Finally, I'm glad we spent the money (before it was all gone) on boring (and expensive!) things like roof, windows, siding, insulation, and high-efficiency furnace and heat pump. Those things aren't glamorous, but I learned this weekend just how much they enhance the overall stay!
=)
Kk.

The location. I love living here. When I walk thru town with my walking buddy and the air is crisp and the sky is blue we both sigh and say, 'I love living here.'

The same here. We're surrounded by nature in all its forms and everyday we're surprised by something new.
Like just the other day an armadillo dug up my newly laid sod....oh wait a minute....I didn't like that part very much.

It is funny when we come home in the evening we see the hegdes that need trimming, lawn needs mowing, the weeds fighting their way through the parking lot pavement which is cracked and needs resurfacing, the mold on the back of the gate that needs pressure washing, the porch that is under-repair and sucking us dry. Shall I go on?
We just see work and maintenance.
This is when we need to GO AWAY AND COME BACK to enjoy our place. But we can't there is too much work to be done!
We will let someone else fall in love with it and buy it soon.

I do love the fact that you are into windows and siding. Yes those are the things we notice. That cracks me up!

Aside from all the things you mention. We most of all love our house for our "million dollar view." That is why we continue to live here even after we have closed the B & B. We will look for another property one day and it has to have a view as well.

The porch was missing on our victorian home. I love the porch we put on and all the seating. The grandkids and I have tea there or visiting with guests there.
The old oak wood floors
The rooms except when I have to vac and damp mop
The lighted front pediment and porch at night
The remodeled bathrooms and kitchen areas
Sharing with others

The porch was missing on our victorian home. I love the porch we put on and all the seating. The grandkids and I have tea there or visiting with guests there.
The old oak wood floors
The rooms except when I have to vac and damp mop
The remodeled bathrooms and kitchen areas
Sharing with others.
hawley said:
I like your pediment, too!
=)
Kk.

It is funny when we come home in the evening we see the hegdes that need trimming, lawn needs mowing, the weeds fighting their way through the parking lot pavement which is cracked and needs resurfacing, the mold on the back of the gate that needs pressure washing, the porch that is under-repair and sucking us dry. Shall I go on?
We just see work and maintenance.
This is when we need to GO AWAY AND COME BACK to enjoy our place. But we can't there is too much work to be done!
We will let someone else fall in love with it and buy it soon..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
We will let someone else fall in love with it and buy it soon.
Come on... what do you love about it? I know one... you love living there instead of in the Northwet!
And I love your big porch and cute cottage.
=)
Kk.

I love the wood - floors, wainscoating, mantles - the fireplaces and staircase (until the 10th time I have to go up), the big front porch where guests gather, We upgraded the electricals from 60 amp to 200, replaced all the 1912 windows with WV made double pane (old window came out and new slid in, trim and sill untouched), replaced the furnace, rewired and replumbed, nd put siding on. Now it looks magazine cover beautiful!
I love living in a town where everyone knows you. I like it that they call ME to find out what is happening in the City! I love the respected position we have here.
I love being in my West Virginia - that is something hard to describe to people. It is not a "homesick" feeling when you are away as it is a yearning for something that is a part of you. It has nothing to do with friends or family as I have not had family in WV since 1961. I just had to come home.

Sitting on the front porch and watching the dogwoods bloom, a hummingbird feed, or the Boston ferns swaying in the breeze.
When a guest marvels at our newel post on the way upstairs in the main house or oohs and aahs over the tin ceilings in the second house.
My commute to work. :)
The fact that I can walk to the river, a park with sculptures, a locally owned coffee shop, a huge performing arts center, restaurants, a weekend street market, and more!
My gardens (although they need work right now) - I never had time for that before.
The pride of living in a saved structure that's 100 years old but has 21st century improvements :)
Best of all, I love meeting the wonderful people that have come through our doors - that's what is truly special & makes the hard work worth it!

The GREEN, the trees, the garden...Weeds, bugs and ALL!
I have a dream kitchen and a stove with 6 burners, a griddle and 2 ovens! Now I can burn 6 pots of water at the same time!
The quiet and the sound of crickets, owls and toads at night.
The neighbors' cocka doodle doo!
The opportunity to be creative and sell my wares in the gift shop!
Being creative with food and using guests as guinea pigs. No...you eat it!
Having a house so big, it's ok for us to have two pianos! I'd have more but DH won't let me collect them.
Fruit trees.
When guests ooh and ahh when they walk in, or squeal in delight (Mind you we're not a fancy place, so this always gets me!)
Living in Mayberry.
The house all lit up in winter after the first snow...so enchanting and QUIET!
The smell of that stinky sycamore tree after a rain.
The SLOW country pace makes me feel almost human.
All the classy architectural and design stuff that the PO did, really honored our place, chandeliers, beautiful entrance way, color choices...

Okay, so you all know I am an aspiring. I won't answer the question. I will, however, say that this thread has been a joy to read. It is so cool to know that you guys are happy with what you do, hard work and ALL.
Thanks, KK, for this thread. It has been a lot of fun to read what you love about your places. I think it's the most informative thread yet.

Why doth I love thee, let me count the ways...
There are plenty of things I enjoy, but being the caretakers takes most of the fun out of it.
I just don't feel right bragging.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

[/h3]Meet Virginia - She'll Take Your Breath Away!

There are plenty of things I enjoy, but being the caretakers takes most of the fun out of it.

[/h3]Meet Virginia - She'll Take Your Breath Away! .
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Not bragging is good, but I asked the question for two reasons:
1) Having just returned from a nice but not-as-nice-as-mine B&B I had my eyes opened to how wonderful this place is. Sometimes we need to take a fresh look around and count our blessings.
2) I really am curious, and have enjoyed reading everyone's answers. We're not in love with the hair dryers and robes in the rooms (although our guests may be!), but with other aspects. It's interesting to see the different things people have shared.
It's not bragging... it's sharing your blessings!
=)
Kk.

The laughter at our dining room table is what tells us this is a good thing.

Okay, so you all know I am an aspiring. I won't answer the question. I will, however, say that this thread has been a joy to read. It is so cool to know that you guys are happy with what you do, hard work and ALL.
Thanks, KK, for this thread. It has been a lot of fun to read what you love about your places. I think it's the most informative thread yet..
Of course you can answer the question. Don't at all be hesitant about chiming in.

Back