Why Do You Want To Sit In Your Room Most Of The Day

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
It never seases to mystify me why people travel all the way to come and stay with us and then spend so much time in their room.
We have a couple in for 8 days at the moment (not the pair identified in the other thread), yesterday they went for a local walk, came back to their room at 2pm and only went out again for dinner at the local inn. This morning they've gone shopping and said they'd be back after lunch.
For heavens sake, you've driven 10 hours to stay in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, now go our and enjoy it. It's a beautiful, crisp clear, slightly shilly Autumnal morning here and they've gone shopping???? There are so many beautiful places to see within an easy drive of here, even if it's just sitting on the beach on The Black Isle watching the dolphins or a day driving round Loch Ness stopping at various points.
People like this are strange.

We have a couple who come here for 4 days every year. They eat breakfast and go back to their room to sleep. Then they go out for 1-2 hours and come back and stay in the room until breakfast the next day. Last year they told us not to bother cleaning, they'd rather just enjoy the peace and quiet. This will be their 6th year. As far as I know, the only part of the state they have ever seen is the drive from the airport to here and back.

Don't ask me I am up with the roosters and can't understand someone laying around at all. They miss the best part of the day...they miss everything...yeah task master I am (ask my family). The last thing I want is to lay about.

A few years ago we took a vacation in Key West. We drove down and met several innmates for the first time along the way. We were at our B&B there for about six days and wanted nothing more than to hang out in lounge chairs by the very tiny pool, soak up some sun, and read. We had been to Key West several times before so we've seen most of the sights. My birthday was one of the days and the innkeepers wanted to sneak a piece of key lime pie into our refrigerator, but had to wait until we went out at lunchtime for about 1/2 hour to get a sandwich. We were lazy dogs lying in the sun for five days, and very, very happy.

A few years ago we took a vacation in Key West. We drove down and met several innmates for the first time along the way. We were at our B&B there for about six days and wanted nothing more than to hang out in lounge chairs by the very tiny pool, soak up some sun, and read. We had been to Key West several times before so we've seen most of the sights. My birthday was one of the days and the innkeepers wanted to sneak a piece of key lime pie into our refrigerator, but had to wait until we went out at lunchtime for about 1/2 hour to get a sandwich. We were lazy dogs lying in the sun for five days, and very, very happy..
muirford said:
A few years ago we took a vacation in Key West. We drove down and met several innmates for the first time along the way. We were at our B&B there for about six days and wanted nothing more than to hang out in lounge chairs by the very tiny pool, soak up some sun, and read. We had been to Key West several times before so we've seen most of the sights. My birthday was one of the days and the innkeepers wanted to sneak a piece of key lime pie into our refrigerator, but had to wait until we went out at lunchtime for about 1/2 hour to get a sandwich. We were lazy dogs lying in the sun for five days, and very, very happy.
I can udnerstand it in that situation, but these people hardly go out of their room.

In our days of travel, my mantra was "if I do not have to go back to work to rest up, it was a lousy vacation." We saw things and did things.
There was a special on our PBS this weekend (fundraiser time) about tourist STEAM railroads in North America. Although we had not ridden most of them, it was surprising how close we had been to the location of many. DH sat there saying - it is amazing how many places we went thanks to you! And we did it with 4 or 5 kids in tow on a VERY slim budget!

Sometimes when my husband and I get away alone together we just want to do nothing but be together. The thought of eating breakfast and going back to bed and later going out to dinner sounds wonderful to me. I have lots of scenery in my back yard. Sometimes we just want uninterrupted time; no computer, no phones, no TV. If we are traveling to another part of the country or the world though that would be a different story. Then I want to explore everything I can fit into the time I'm there.

I get alot of these guests. They check in, and you hear not a peep out of them until it's nearly dark. No tv, no pages turning, no talking. They go out briefly for dinner, and stay in most of the next day other than a couple of hours away in the afternoon. They bring their own food, they go back to bed after breakfast. Often they have very small children, but more often are very young couples. They make housekeeping a challenge, but otherwise, I don't mind...............that just tells me that they are very comfortable in their room.

I hate to be dull arsed but I am so busy in my everyday life that when we have a chance to get away I just want to slob! I sleep in watch TV and if we go somewhere with a pool and or gym I just relax. We are saving up to go to Egypt (baring the roof blowing off should be next year) and as part of the trip I intend to sunbath by the pool. I want to do the sightseeing for the first week then slob for the second I think that is a good compromise.

We have a couple who come here for 4 days every year. They eat breakfast and go back to their room to sleep. Then they go out for 1-2 hours and come back and stay in the room until breakfast the next day. Last year they told us not to bother cleaning, they'd rather just enjoy the peace and quiet. This will be their 6th year. As far as I know, the only part of the state they have ever seen is the drive from the airport to here and back..
Morticia said:
We have a couple who come here for 4 days every year. They eat breakfast and go back to their room to sleep. Then they go out for 1-2 hours and come back and stay in the room until breakfast the next day. Last year they told us not to bother cleaning, they'd rather just enjoy the peace and quiet. This will be their 6th year. As far as I know, the only part of the state they have ever seen is the drive from the airport to here and back.
I love this! Who can really figure out what someone needs? It may seem strange to us, but you've managed to give this couple EXACTLY what they need. Kudos! After the last week or so, honestly the idea of staying put somewhere with absolutely nothing to do sounds pretty darn good to me, so who am I to judge what someone else is going to find important and perfect?
Okay, on the other hand, I'm reminded of that movie with Alan Alda and ??. I think it might have been called Same Time Next Year. Two lovers, married to other people, who got together every year. Maybe that's what you have going on every year??

We have a couple who come here for 4 days every year. They eat breakfast and go back to their room to sleep. Then they go out for 1-2 hours and come back and stay in the room until breakfast the next day. Last year they told us not to bother cleaning, they'd rather just enjoy the peace and quiet. This will be their 6th year. As far as I know, the only part of the state they have ever seen is the drive from the airport to here and back..
Morticia said:
I love this! Who can really figure out what someone needs? It may seem strange to us, but you've managed to give this couple EXACTLY what they need. Kudos! After the last week or so, honestly the idea of staying put somewhere with absolutely nothing to do sounds pretty darn good to me, so who am I to judge what someone else is going to find important and perfect?
Okay, on the other hand, I'm reminded of that movie with Alan Alda and ??. I think it might have been called Same Time Next Year. Two lovers, married to other people, who got together every year. Maybe that's what you have going on every year??
Funny you should mention that movie! I have a couple here now who I have a feeling is "Same Time Next Year". Each year they come from 3 states away, stay about 10 nights in our cottage, stay in all day and only leave for about an hour every other day. I have only seen her a couple times over the years, they have different last names and I just get a feeling about them. Frankly, I just can't wait for them to leave each year.
We're used to couples coming here for a couple days to get away and relax and hardly ever leave, but to travel so far for so long and not leave is very odd.

I hate to be dull arsed but I am so busy in my everyday life that when we have a chance to get away I just want to slob! I sleep in watch TV and if we go somewhere with a pool and or gym I just relax. We are saving up to go to Egypt (baring the roof blowing off should be next year) and as part of the trip I intend to sunbath by the pool. I want to do the sightseeing for the first week then slob for the second I think that is a good compromise..
I hate to be dull arsed but I am so busy in my everyday life that when we have a chance to get away I just want to slob! I sleep in watch TV and if we go somewhere with a pool and or gym I just relax. We are saving up to go to Egypt (baring the roof blowing off should be next year) and as part of the trip I intend to sunbath by the pool. I want to do the sightseeing for the first week then slob for the second I think that is a good compromise.
But this is Scotland, even if we had a pool (LOch Ness aside) you wouldn't want to lay by it.
We were in Luxor last Oct, we loved it. Seeing the sights is very tiring, you may find a day touring followed by a pool day a better system. (oops sorry, off topic)

BD ten days!
whattha.gif

You all are scaring me I have a couple rooms for long stays coming up..please don't let them be hm, what term have we come up for this? Highlands John care to give this a clever vocab term for our Innkeeping Dictionary? "Equinox unengaged" "Lochness Lazers" "Hospitality Hounds"
See I have seen your blog, and the photos my oh my the photos make me want to rent a little zip zip and go all over the place keeping your Inn as the central point for my day trips. As said in "The Princess Bride" inconceewable!

We used to get all the hard working folks from the D.C. area. We had one set of guests who stayed in the room except for meals..the entire time...watching videos. When talking to them they told me "it is the only chance we get to truly "veg out" and relax. They love movies but never have time during the work week so they just kick back when away and enjoy. I completely understood and was glad they were enjoying themselves.
They had been to our area many times..and were not into the hiking/nature scene. They just wanted quiet time away. Sounds good to me.
However, If I traveled great distances to get to say Scotland...you could be sure I would not be staying in my room :)

A weekend vegging out vs a longer stay I can understand. Well...maybe not still. Dang I need to get out of here don't I?
Let me put it this way, when the sun is out so are we. If it is winter and drizzling out and you want to sleep with the one you love in a warm embrace and listen to the rain on a tin roof...

We're going to a beach resort in Dec to lay around, be beached whales, eat, sleep, read, drink, eat, sleep, drink, read....etc. I am so looking forward to it. I would never take a horrid plane ride or two to go to a b&b in a beautiful place and stay in my room. A couple hour drive? sure, but I still wouldn't stay in a b&b to do it.

What makes you think that they are "sitting" in the room?...Romantic couples aside, we've had many people thank us for the quiet and tranquility here. Many are coming to get away from their hectic lives and just take a long nap and read.

Back