Why hotels shouldn’t sell a $200 hotel room for $50 http://bit.ly/kOzvl0

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a customer, I would be thinking anyone paying $200 per was a fool and would never EVER be willing to pay that rate if they were selling it at $50 and making a profit of any kind. Talk about obscene profits......
Reminds me of the days when a GM to me $18 was break even on our $65 - $75 rack rates.

As a customer, I would be thinking anyone paying $200 per was a fool and would never EVER be willing to pay that rate if they were selling it at $50 and making a profit of any kind. Talk about obscene profits......
Reminds me of the days when a GM to me $18 was break even on our $65 - $75 rack rates..
And yet, there ARE people checking into hotels around here paying over $300/night. Sure, lots of them have some sort of 'perk' but that's bringing it down to over $200/night. But we're too expensive at half the price.

Reminds me of the days when a GM to me $18 was break even on our $65 - $75 rack rates..
And yet, there ARE people checking into hotels around here paying over $300/night. Sure, lots of them have some sort of 'perk' but that's bringing it down to over $200/night. But we're too expensive at half the price.
Speaking of expensive, had a man laugh out loud on the phone today, to which I took offense. He called to see about booking two rooms for a 50th anniversary getaway. He asked about fine dining in our town on a Sunday night. I told him, that we go into our nearby city (19 miles) when we want fine dining. Half of which are closed on a Sunday there, but there are a few to choose from. He laughed, he lives in Myrtle beach and scoffed that restaurants would or could be closed. Uh this ain't disneyland, or uhm, Myrtle Beach. There is a reason they close on a Sunday dude...

Speaking of expensive, had a man laugh out loud on the phone today, to which I took offense. He called to see about booking two rooms for a 50th anniversary getaway. He asked about fine dining in our town on a Sunday night. I told him, that we go into our nearby city (19 miles) when we want fine dining. Half of which are closed on a Sunday there, but there are a few to choose from. He laughed, he lives in Myrtle beach and scoffed that restaurants would or could be closed. Uh this ain't disneyland, or uhm, Myrtle Beach. There is a reason they close on a Sunday dude...
Imagine some poor woman has lived with that for 50 years.
Hey, you'll like this (not)...just had a caller that said, 'Oh, is this a bed and breakfast?' When I said it was she said, 'No thanks,' and hung up. I'd love to know where she got the phone number...

Hey, you'll like this (not)...just had a caller that said, 'Oh, is this a bed and breakfast?' When I said it was she said, 'No thanks,' and hung up. I'd love to know where she got the phone number...
Well, for an additional $25 she can go to the hotel and scrounge up her own breakfast for $10 a pop.

Alibi,
I am assuming you don't say "________ B&B" in your initial greeting - those always make me wonder when they ask Oh, this is a B&B? Yeah, didn't I just say that? These are the people I guess we are trying to reach for Better Way to Stay - can't do much when they hang up tho!

Alibi,
I am assuming you don't say "________ B&B" in your initial greeting - those always make me wonder when they ask Oh, this is a B&B? Yeah, didn't I just say that? These are the people I guess we are trying to reach for Better Way to Stay - can't do much when they hang up tho!
Doesn't matter what I say when I answer the phone, no one listens as they are so ready for what they have to tell me. A lot of them get all the way to the price before they tell me they want the $75 room. By which time I know they misdialed and they want the motel, not me.
But, no, I do not generally tack on the 'B&B' at the end. By that time even I'm tired of hearing me talk!
Most of my marketing has the 'B&B' in it tho.

Alibi Ike said:
There are times when you need to count yourself lucky. Maybe this is one of them? That could have very well been the type of guest who needs the anonymity of a hotel. Who's requests would make you contemplate actually owning a shotgun. The people who go through four bath towels each, every single day. They know that they don't fit in with the civilized guests at a B&B. They saved you!

Alibi,
Doesn't matter what I say when I answer the phone, no one listens as they are so ready for what they have to tell me. A lot of them get all the way to the price before they tell me they want the $75 room. By which time I know they misdialed and they want the motel, not me.
But, no, I do not generally tack on the 'B&B' at the end. By that time even I'm tired of hearing me talk!
Most of my marketing has the 'B&B' in it tho.
"Good evening White House Bed and Breakfast"
Caller "Is this the bread and breakfast?"
"Yes, this is the White House bed and breakfast"
"Are you a bread and breakfast?"
No I did not just invent that call. I have had it too many times to count, but insert my B&B name in there..."

Back