Why I do the whole 'spiel' before the guests go to their room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Because if they go to their room first, they don't come back. As I have now waited 45 minutes for a guest to return to the check-in after showing them their room to use the bathroom.

I hear you, no one gets a potty break til they get the rigamorale. They go and make cell phone calls etc etc and forget about you.

After a few years of trial and error, for the past few years we check people in and run their credit cards before we give them keys to their rooms. Running the card at the start of the stay confirms the length of the stay and avoids multiple people trying to check out during breakfast. It also avoids confusion in case for some reason we did not check them off as being paid. If they have their keys, they have paid. I have never had anyone complain about paying up front and it is one of the best changes we have made.

After a few years of trial and error, for the past few years we check people in and run their credit cards before we give them keys to their rooms. Running the card at the start of the stay confirms the length of the stay and avoids multiple people trying to check out during breakfast. It also avoids confusion in case for some reason we did not check them off as being paid. If they have their keys, they have paid. I have never had anyone complain about paying up front and it is one of the best changes we have made..
I had the money. I've learned that lesson, too!
What I didn't get to go over was everything else.

After a few years of trial and error, for the past few years we check people in and run their credit cards before we give them keys to their rooms. Running the card at the start of the stay confirms the length of the stay and avoids multiple people trying to check out during breakfast. It also avoids confusion in case for some reason we did not check them off as being paid. If they have their keys, they have paid. I have never had anyone complain about paying up front and it is one of the best changes we have made..
Bigbid said:
After a few years of trial and error, for the past few years we check people in and run their credit cards before we give them keys to their rooms. Running the card at the start of the stay confirms the length of the stay and avoids multiple people trying to check out during breakfast. It also avoids confusion in case for some reason we did not check them off as being paid. If they have their keys, they have paid. I have never had anyone complain about paying up front and it is one of the best changes we have made.
I disagree wholeheartedly on that (which everyone here has heard a dozen or more times - sorry to say it all again). I call them "stepford guests" the last thing I want to ask is for their credit card before they see the room and use the 'facility' if needed after driving all day to get here. Most arrive absolutely cantankerous, hungry, aggravated and the next day are the polar opposites. Another reason (and to side track further) if someone arrives at 10 or 11pm - I honestly DON'T WANNA GREET THEM AND CHECK THEM IN!
Of course those later check ins are the only I WOULD like payment in full so I needn't worry about it. "Welcome, that will be $574.96 cents please" sheesh - no way no how...you will not catch me asking at check in any time soon (unless a walk in, which is rare here)
I will stick to my "fat and happy" check out/payments.

Bigbid said:
I disagree wholeheartedly on that (which everyone here has heard a dozen or more times - sorry to say it all again). I call them "stepford guests" the last thing I want to ask is for their credit card before they see the room and use the 'facility' if needed after driving all day to get here. Most arrive absolutely cantankerous, hungry, aggravated and the next day are the polar opposites. Another reason (and to side track further) if someone arrives at 10 or 11pm - I honestly DON'T WANNA GREET THEM AND CHECK THEM IN!
Of course those later check ins are the only I WOULD like payment in full so I needn't worry about it. "Welcome, that will be $574.96 cents please" sheesh - no way no how...you will not catch me asking at check in any time soon (unless a walk in, which is rare here)
You know we got stiffed for a 3 night stay because they were late arrivals and early departures. SO, because of that, we do tell guests who will arrive after 9 that we will run their card at 9 PM. If it's good, they get in; if it isn't, they don't.

I'm with Bigbid. Well I don't mind them going to their room first but I do collect payment at check in...it is noted on their confirmation so it is not a suprise for those that read it. I have had some come in and are handing me their card before I have even had them sign in.
For me, it is easier as just like Bigbid, many want to check out while I am still serving others breakfast.
There's no right or wrong here, really!!!!
And Mort I hear ya. And their the ones that will try to go out while you are busy with others, thinking you leave the doors unlocked 24/7 like a hotel.

Bigbid said:
We all have to do what work for us.:)
I've never had a problem with charging at check-in and most folks have their credit card at the ready before I've even said anything about payment. I have had quite a few folks for whom I've run their card at check-out because it just worked out that way. One night stays who are late arrivals, I will definitely run the card when they get here. I've learned from this forum! If they're here multiple nights and arrive late, I just tell them that we'll take care of the room charge later. (They always ask, it seems.)
I've always checked our late arrivals in too and haven't left notes, except for a guest who has been here multiple times with our university. Just seems more personal.
We don't have a gift shop or sell other retail items, so I'm not looking to avoid running a card twice so I don't worry about charging them at check-in.
We are lucky that we have a guest half bath downstairs near our check-in area, so guests can take care of that during the "spiel".
We all do what works for us.....

I always send them to their room first. If they are too long coming to check-in I go and get them. They generally need to use the bathroom after the long drive and I want them to be relaxed a little for orientation. I generally charge them on arrival but not always.

Back