Why I get grumpy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Over the past 10 days I have received at least 11 phone calls from one person. I helped her tremendously (seriously) to find accommodations for at least 7 of her 10 nights in the area. We could not accommodate her for the 3 nights she needed here but we did 2 of them. We received at least 5 calls to verify we did not have any openings for the 3rd night.
So, booked in here for 2 nights, wanting 3 we just got what I assume is the last call to cancel her return night tomorrow.
Approximately 2 hours total on the phone with this person.
And people wonder why I don't want to talk to them for hours when they call to make a rez. Because this is what we get for the effort.
Not just me, because she also had a rez somewhere for tonight that she cancelled to stay with friends instead. BUT, my guess is she didn't spend 2 hours on the phone with THEM because she got all the info from me!
After turning away guests all morning, my phone will now stay silent. ;-)

My student wanted to know if she could leave her stuff in the room while she went home for the weekend. I told her to put it in the storage room. She is supposed to be an intelligent person - a P A student - it IS A WEEKEND!!! I rent rooms that do not have a person in them - her stuff would negate that. She is here on a special student rate.

why I get grumpy? last night had a late check in booked for 11pm another chap supposed to be in by 9.30 so was going to have a nap in between. 9.30 guy didn't turn up till 10.30 so that idea was trashed and apparently his hand fell off so he couldn't phone and say so.

My student wanted to know if she could leave her stuff in the room while she went home for the weekend. I told her to put it in the storage room. She is supposed to be an intelligent person - a P A student - it IS A WEEKEND!!! I rent rooms that do not have a person in them - her stuff would negate that. She is here on a special student rate..
I get grumpy when a guest comes in 3 hours late at night and then proceeds to tell me his partner/ girlfriend is gluten free. And he is not ! and will eat most things. Ask him why he did not tell us when we spoke to him or when he had to confirm his booking? He just ignord me. And proceed to walk in the house and have a look around.!!!! GRRRRRRR

You know exactly what I'm going to say... STOP IT. You are an innkeeper, not a travel agent, not a vacation planner, an innkeeper. Set up some serious limits. Answer their questions after you have a reservation. At least you get your cancellation money that way. Some people are just needy. They will take as much as they can from you. You have to give them limits or they won't respect you and will try to get more. Give them the phone number to the next place, say goodbye and good luck and then forget them.
When I am on the telephone, I always remind them that online reservations are 10% cheaper. They ask their questions and hang up to make or not make their reservation. But I'm done. And I remind them that we hold nothing back, first to reserve gets it. If they don't reserve it, someone else will... and it might be someone better, nicer etc.

You know, BD, after spending SO much time on this one and then having dealt with her today and last night, I am happy she is staying with friends. I will rebook her one night either tonight or tomorrow. So, no, Not holding her to the policy. Why not? She would stay here if she had to pay for it.
I know everyone has had a guest like this, one you just wish would just cancel and be done with it rather than calling everyday with another question.

You know exactly what I'm going to say... STOP IT. You are an innkeeper, not a travel agent, not a vacation planner, an innkeeper. Set up some serious limits. Answer their questions after you have a reservation. At least you get your cancellation money that way. Some people are just needy. They will take as much as they can from you. You have to give them limits or they won't respect you and will try to get more. Give them the phone number to the next place, say goodbye and good luck and then forget them.
When I am on the telephone, I always remind them that online reservations are 10% cheaper. They ask their questions and hang up to make or not make their reservation. But I'm done. And I remind them that we hold nothing back, first to reserve gets it. If they don't reserve it, someone else will... and it might be someone better, nicer etc..
Needy describes it. As for the travel planning, I did give her the numbers for the other places. Then she wanted me to contact the place she wanted to stay because they hadn't returned her calls. I declined to do that.
The other 10 calls were to verify one thing or another. But she would not get off the phone. (Thus the other post about how to hang up politely!)
We've all had the experience of a person or couple who sucks the life out of us with one thing or another.
I can't stop giving info if I can quickly help. What I will probably do is remove the 800# from the website when I do the redesign! At least it won't be my MONEY as well as my time!

When I am on the telephone, I always remind them that online reservations are 10% cheaper. They ask their questions and hang up to make or not make their reservation. But I'm done. And I remind them that we hold nothing back, first to reserve gets it. If they don't reserve it, someone else will... and it might be someone better, nicer etc..
Needy describes it. As for the travel planning, I did give her the numbers for the other places. Then she wanted me to contact the place she wanted to stay because they hadn't returned her calls. I declined to do that.
The other 10 calls were to verify one thing or another. But she would not get off the phone. (Thus the other post about how to hang up politely!)
We've all had the experience of a person or couple who sucks the life out of us with one thing or another.
I can't stop giving info if I can quickly help. What I will probably do is remove the 800# from the website when I do the redesign! At least it won't be my MONEY as well as my time!
Honestly, how many people actually can use a toll-free number anymore anyway? If they are calling from a mobile phone, they are already paying to call you and the phone company gets to charge you as well.
Sometimes you just have to give up the customer, they aren't worth the time and effort and it leave the universe to bring you something better.
A few months ago we had someone send us an email with a list of essentially demands, what she wanted for breakfast each day, space in the fridge so she can make her own lunch, etc. It was a long reservation and worth good money... and we decided that she was too high maintenance and there was absolutely no way to make her happy. So we suggested that based on her email that a self catered apartment was indeed her best bet and that we would gladly cancel her reservation at no charge. A few days later a nice older couple called and wanted a room. Couldn't have been nicer if they had tried and a delight to be around. You just never know what is waiting for you beyond this reservation. And if they are high maintenance on the phone, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will be worse in person.

I have one thing to say....caller ID. At this time of year we let the machine pick up until we hear who is on the other end. Our message details our availability (or lack thereof), and tells people to leave a message or contact us through our web site.
If a caller has questions I address them in an e-mail so I can control the amount of time it takes to answer. Some people will just suck all the information out of you and then leave you high and dry. So don't do it!!
Had a women ring the bell today while I was cleaning a room next to the door so I answered it. She just wanted a brochure (which we have sitting outside near the door, so help yourself) and then she wanted to talk about what it's like living here all year because she is thinking of relocating to the area. She wanted information and to talk about everything so I just nipped it in the bud and told her to stay with us in the off season so she could see for herself. We are happy to talk with our guests over breakfast and tell them all about the area. Bye, as the door closes.

You know, BD, after spending SO much time on this one and then having dealt with her today and last night, I am happy she is staying with friends. I will rebook her one night either tonight or tomorrow. So, no, Not holding her to the policy. Why not? She would stay here if she had to pay for it.
I know everyone has had a guest like this, one you just wish would just cancel and be done with it rather than calling everyday with another question..
Madeleine said:
I know everyone has had a guest like this, one you just wish would just cancel and be done with it rather than calling everyday with another question.
You're right. Not worth it to have her around. Sometimes I guess we have to pay to make them go away!

Back