Why I hate hotels dot com and others like it

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I get a call inquiring about rates. I tell them my rate range and the amenities.
Oh my, that's expensive! she said.
I can get a room at ______________ hotel on hotels dot com for $85!
Yes I am sure you can I said. Before you do, here is something to think about.
I pay my housekeepers anywhere from $15 to $20 dollars an hour. Just how clean do you think that $85 dollar room is?
(pause on the line)
Thank you, she said. I didn't think about that.

How about this one, and not even mentioing a booking site...
'Your rooms are how much??? We just spent the weekend in DC for $99. Why do you charge so much and why do your prices go up on the weekends???'
Explaining supply and demand I tell them that DC is a biz town and the rates are high mid-week because that's when they make their money. We're a tourist town and we make our money when all those tired biz people head out on vacation on the weekends!
But, I could not insure that their 'more expensive than a car' bicycles would not be stolen, so they moved on. I didn't mention that a $25 bike lock would prevent the theft. They wanted to keep the bikes in their room. Nope.

'Your rooms are how much??? We just spent the weekend in DC for $99. Why do you charge so much and why do your prices go up on the weekends???'
Explaining supply and demand I tell them that DC is a biz town and the rates are high mid-week because that's when they make their money. We're a tourist town and we make our money when all those tired biz people head out on vacation on the weekends!
But, I could not insure that their 'more expensive than a car' bicycles would not be stolen, so they moved on. I didn't mention that a $25 bike lock would prevent the theft. They wanted to keep the bikes in their room. Nope..
Yeah right...I'd like to see where they paid $99 for a weekend in D.C...some flea trap of a hotel for sure...NOT any B &B I have ever heard of in D.C.!!!

But, I could not insure that their 'more expensive than a car' bicycles would not be stolen, so they moved on. I didn't mention that a $25 bike lock would prevent the theft. They wanted to keep the bikes in their room. Nope..
Morticia said:
But, I could not insure that their 'more expensive than a car' bicycles would not be stolen, so they moved on. I didn't mention that a $25 bike lock would prevent the theft. They wanted to keep the bikes in their room. Nope.
Those kind of people are truly obnoxious, and some of the worst guests we've ever had. We keep a couple of bike locks around for them but they're appalled that they have to leave their bikes outside. They've been outside all day on the extremely muddy bike trail - my back yard is cleaner. How do these people eat lunch anywhere if they can't lock their bikes up for a minute?

Morticia said:
Those kind of people are truly obnoxious, and some of the worst guests we've ever had. We keep a couple of bike locks around for them but they're appalled that they have to leave their bikes outside. They've been outside all day on the extremely muddy bike trail - my back yard is cleaner. How do these people eat lunch anywhere if they can't lock their bikes up for a minute?
muirford said:
Morticia said:
I agree! These types of guests are a bit tweaked, imho. I get them all the time because I am directly on one of the most popular state bike trails.
Some of these folks with the $$$$ bikes have been the most obnoxious, unreasonable and truly unpleasant guests I have had.
Because of them I have stopped advertising on the cycling website. I even had one write a nasty review to TA because they felt my 9am breakfast was too late for them to hit the bike path and complained that they were not permitted to keep their bikes in the room.
I don't need that kind of customer.I get enough aggravation as it is.

Morticia said:
muirford said:
Morticia said:
I agree! These types of guests are a bit tweaked, imho. I get them all the time because I am directly on one of the most popular state bike trails.
Some of these folks with the $$$$ bikes have been the most obnoxious, unreasonable and truly unpleasant guests I have had.
Because of them I have stopped advertising on the cycling website. I even had one write a nasty review to TA because they felt my 9am breakfast was too late for them to hit the bike path and complained that they were not permitted to keep their bikes in the room.
I don't need that kind of customer.I get enough aggravation as it is.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Fortunately for us the keyword has been some. We've had fewer than half a dozen with that attitude. I'm sure some of them self-select out because we don't have a shed or garage for bike storage, but that's okay with me. The regular cyclists are good - I have a group here this morning with one guy who comes every year and brings an assortment of friends and family. I will do an early brekkie for them although it's continental before 8:00. I've found my really serious riders prefer that anyway - yogurt, granola, whole-grain bagels and smoked salmon. We treat the nice people well.
The PITAs bicyclists would, I suspect, be PITAs without the bikes as well. They have to have to most expensive bikes, the most up-to-date gear and ride the furthest even when they clearly aren't in shape to do so. They arrive exhausted and pissed-off, and things go downhill from there. I also have chosen not to deal with that group (in my case, it was a specific tour operator) and it's been all good since then.

"Well then go to ho tls.com and book your room" it's not rocket science lady!

Back