why is it so difficult??!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
...for people to say, "We won't be able to join you for breakfast" . They don't need to provide an excuse. I won't be offended in any way; I don't care WHY they can't join us, just tell me in advance so that I don't stay up till 10pm preparing for the next days' brekkie for 6 when I really will only have 4. Sheesh!

pita.gif
pita.gif
pita.gif

Sorry that happened. It's a bummer.
Had the opposite this morning. DH told me late last night that some folks had LEFT saying that the wife wasn't feeling well and they just decided to go on home, a couple of hours away. So the husband mentioned that of course they wouldn't be needing breakfast.
Then this morning, I got a very nice email early, again saying why they left, and that we had a wonderful place---and letting me know that they wouldn't be here for breakfast.
Pretty considerate. Do we have a term for the opposite of a PITA?

We have had grandparents and 2 grandsons here for 3 nights. First breakfast - grandparents, no boys. That night I asked what time. Gradma had a time and then asked the grandson what time. He said a time and I asked him if he would be down at that time and he said yes.
Yesterday at 10 minutes beyond his time, grandparents are at the table but no kid. I told Grandma I was going to roust him and she was in favor. So I called to him - no answer so I went up and beat on the door. When I heard his voice, I said, "You told me you would be down for breakfast" and he replied, "I am coming". He was downstairs in 5 minutes. And I must say a delightfully polite, pleasant, intelligent kid. The other one has never shown up for breakfast - but he did not say he would be there. (Grandma knows I do not usually roust guests and said she was glad I had with him.) He did NOT tell me he would be down this morning - so he got to sleep in!

Mom and daughter here for two nights. Yesterday both ate breakfast early, today daughter wanted to sleep in. As I was delivering Mom's plate, saw her texting daughter to try to tempt her downstairs "It's blueberry french toast!". Gotta love technology!

Sorry that happened. It's a bummer.
Had the opposite this morning. DH told me late last night that some folks had LEFT saying that the wife wasn't feeling well and they just decided to go on home, a couple of hours away. So the husband mentioned that of course they wouldn't be needing breakfast.
Then this morning, I got a very nice email early, again saying why they left, and that we had a wonderful place---and letting me know that they wouldn't be here for breakfast.
Pretty considerate. Do we have a term for the opposite of a PITA?.
InnBloom said:
Pretty considerate. Do we have a term for the opposite of a PITA?
Guest.

Mom and daughter here for two nights. Yesterday both ate breakfast early, today daughter wanted to sleep in. As I was delivering Mom's plate, saw her texting daughter to try to tempt her downstairs "It's blueberry french toast!". Gotta love technology!.
I had one guest miss brekkie because she had to take a business call. She said to me, 'She's droning on and on..."Now on line 7..." and I'm saying to myself, "It's french toast, can you please hurry it up!!!"' But, alas, she could not hurry her up and so she bolted out the door to her meeting without brekkie.

Group here for 4 nights. Some come down and want to wait for all to eat together. They chit chat over coffee then one says to DH will you call Joey's room. He comes in to ask me to call. Uh, no - bring the phone in to them, let them be the brunt of the cranky person on the other end.
I say forget about 'em, they are not babies if they wanted breakfast they would have been down at the set time.

Group here for 4 nights. Some come down and want to wait for all to eat together. They chit chat over coffee then one says to DH will you call Joey's room. He comes in to ask me to call. Uh, no - bring the phone in to them, let them be the brunt of the cranky person on the other end.
I say forget about 'em, they are not babies if they wanted breakfast they would have been down at the set time..
I hate when groups hog seats waiting for everyone to show up. If others are waiting we chase them, either eat or get up so someone else can.

Another brekkie one...is it so hard to tell us when you make the rez that you need to be somewhere before breakfast starts rather than being upset that we can't rearrange everything to make you brekkie early? Guest just checked in who needs to be out of the house by 7:30 to get where she's going. Which would mean starting brekkie at 7. Too early for us. We'll do 7:30 but not earlier unless it's everyone. I'll have some yogurts for her in the morning. Juice. Coffee. Fruit.
She just left here wearing corduroy pants, hiking boots and a 3/4 sleeve sweater. She's making me sweat just looking at her!

Another brekkie one...is it so hard to tell us when you make the rez that you need to be somewhere before breakfast starts rather than being upset that we can't rearrange everything to make you brekkie early? Guest just checked in who needs to be out of the house by 7:30 to get where she's going. Which would mean starting brekkie at 7. Too early for us. We'll do 7:30 but not earlier unless it's everyone. I'll have some yogurts for her in the morning. Juice. Coffee. Fruit.
She just left here wearing corduroy pants, hiking boots and a 3/4 sleeve sweater. She's making me sweat just looking at her!.
You just have to give the simple "Sorry, if we'd known we might have been able to arrange that for you, but we can't do it last minute. Breakfast is COMPLIMENTARY...here's a to-go cup for coffee.

I say forget about 'em, they are not babies if they wanted breakfast they would have been down at the set time..
I hate when groups hog seats waiting for everyone to show up. If others are waiting we chase them, either eat or get up so someone else can.
Don Draper said:
As soon as they sit down I ask if they are going to wait for everyone or eat separately. A lot of them don't want to wait for the slow pokes. Works for me.

She just left here wearing corduroy pants, hiking boots and a 3/4 sleeve sweater. She's making me sweat just looking at her!.
Alibi Ike said:
She just left here wearing corduroy pants, hiking boots and a 3/4 sleeve sweater. She's making me sweat just looking at her!
Well that says it all now doesn't it!
confused_smile.gif

We do breakfast at 9:00 or 9:30. No exceptions. Every room description says what time breakfast is delivered to them. We also state if they have an earlier need for breakfast, a continental will be provided.
The evening before, we put a nice continental (fruit, yogurt, granola, muffin) in their room fridge while they're out to dinner and they can eat it whenever they want in the morning. We have a Flavia coffee/hot water machine available to them 24 hours and they can make their own coffee.
I bend over backwards for them all the time, but this is one area where I won't bend. People seem happy with the continental and for those who want a hot breakfast earlier than 9:00 or 9:30, I assume they will book somewhere else and I'm fine with that.
Oh, we don't get business travelers in our location, so I'm glad I don't have to deal with the early brekkie for them either!

Alibi Ike said:
My Saturday night is coming with 1 horse, 7 fox hounds, and a Lab. She told me when making the rez that she plans to be on the road by 4 AM (in this heat good planning). Told her I would have her breakfast a to-go and she was thrilled.

weve been doing breakfast at 7am for about 8 days till yesterday morning and Im pooped but i don't mind if there are a few that want it ie we have had at least 8 as it clears them out of the way before the others come down. won't do it for just 1 they can get stuffed

...to ask when making a rez if it is ok to leave items here while the guests go off camping for 2 days? Instead of just handing it over to us at 7 AM and saying, 'We'll be back on Tuesday to stay another night, just put this in our room before we arrive.'
Really? I should have put my hand out for a tip.

...to come into the building prepared to pay your bill? Because there were young kids involved, I gave her the keys so she could get them sorted and told her I would wait for her to get her cc out of the car. She waltzed out the front door with the kids and never came back to pay.

Why is it so difficult to look at a map and see that your house is almost the same distance from the event as the B & B you just booked a room in? This was the SECOND idiot who tied up a room so it could not be booked while I was unable to make connections to get cc#. Meanwhile I get a call for 2 rooms. Fortunately that was the last call in (I was at City Council meeting)so I was able to retrieve the phone number after calling the idiot to ask if he realized we are the sme distance away. HE thought he had cancelled it. I told him he had not but I would. Called the lady and now she is checking about cancel policy at the hotel her friend found rooms.
I am not going to be upset (although the kaching will be welcome) if I do not get anyone. With our obligations with the event and what I have happening with the City - all the same week of course - if I only have the bookings I already have I am OK ith it. BOTH of my in-coming are working around what I need for them to arrive which is great. Love those Yoiur reservation is in 3 days reminders because it generated an e-mail from Thursday arrival requesting arrival after 7 (my policy end of check-in). I e-mailed back - BLESS YOU!!!!

Back