Why It’s a Mistake To Ration The Orange Juice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I go to antique stores I see juice glasses and think to myself I wish people would serve me just that much juice. That is all I want or need. We do drink and eat so much more that we used to. Think of Cokes that were in 6 oz bottles when we were little. That was a serving now a 12 oz can is a serving. I only want half a can and my husband cannot seem to get I just don't want to drink it all.

When I go to antique stores I see juice glasses and think to myself I wish people would serve me just that much juice. That is all I want or need. We do drink and eat so much more that we used to. Think of Cokes that were in 6 oz bottles when we were little. That was a serving now a 12 oz can is a serving. I only want half a can and my husband cannot seem to get I just don't want to drink it all..
When I go to antique stores I see juice glasses and think to myself I wish people would serve me just that much juice. That is all I want or need.
That is why I just put pitchers on the table and serve "family style". Take as much or as little as you want or take a little and come back for seconds. Nothing embarrasses me more that to be out with someone who fills a plate at a buffet and then barely eats it and the guest who does that makes me cringe but that is rare. Big eaters make me feel good and I am not offended by small eaters - it might mean they did not like it but more likely is just that they do not eat much.

When I go to antique stores I see juice glasses and think to myself I wish people would serve me just that much juice. That is all I want or need. We do drink and eat so much more that we used to. Think of Cokes that were in 6 oz bottles when we were little. That was a serving now a 12 oz can is a serving. I only want half a can and my husband cannot seem to get I just don't want to drink it all..
When I go to antique stores I see juice glasses and think to myself I wish people would serve me just that much juice. That is all I want or need.
That is why I just put pitchers on the table and serve "family style". Take as much or as little as you want or take a little and come back for seconds. Nothing embarrasses me more that to be out with someone who fills a plate at a buffet and then barely eats it and the guest who does that makes me cringe but that is rare. Big eaters make me feel good and I am not offended by small eaters - it might mean they did not like it but more likely is just that they do not eat much.
i serve my guests quite a lot but I could never eat that much. Funny thing is you would think I would be skinny.

i serve my guests quite a lot but I could never eat that much. Funny thing is you would think I would be skinny.
My saddlebags are firmly packed from chocolate.

We use a variety of antique juice glasses. We always offer seconds of whatever kind of juice they're drinking. People that love a lot of juice will take us up on it but that is fairly uncommon. Juice has a lot of sugar and a big glass is probably more than most people want or need with everything else that we serve here.

gillumhouse said:
That is why I just put pitchers on the table.
Ditto and AMEN sister! I just got rid of the antique jelly glasses and bought new 10oz glasses for breakfast juice. Oddly enough, we go through less juice now (and I have to dump far fewer half-full jelly glasses).

So, for everyone who puts the juice on the table, how do you keep it cold? I'm looking at a 2 hour time span here when juice woould steadily be getting warm and then having to be thrown out. I like the idea of not having to play serving wench all morning, but not liking throwing out a couple of pitchers of juice everyday.

I know several places that use the Chill-It pitcher. It's expensive but does the trick with panache. American Hotel also has a similar pitcher (that they sell as a milk pitcher) that works the same way (for a much, much lower price).
Basically the Chill-It pitcher has a chamber in the center for ice so the juice stays chilled. American Hotel's milk pitcher has the center chamber, too.

So, for everyone who puts the juice on the table, how do you keep it cold? I'm looking at a 2 hour time span here when juice woould steadily be getting warm and then having to be thrown out. I like the idea of not having to play serving wench all morning, but not liking throwing out a couple of pitchers of juice everyday..
I have those pitchers that have the inserts for ice in the middle - keeps it cold and doesn't dilute the juice. We used to use them and put out the juices but found that no one would help themselves. Now, we take juice orders and pour it in the kitchen and serve them. What can I say? They like the serving wench and serving dude here. :)

So, for everyone who puts the juice on the table, how do you keep it cold? I'm looking at a 2 hour time span here when juice woould steadily be getting warm and then having to be thrown out. I like the idea of not having to play serving wench all morning, but not liking throwing out a couple of pitchers of juice everyday..
I have those pitchers that have the inserts for ice in the middle - keeps it cold and doesn't dilute the juice. We used to use them and put out the juices but found that no one would help themselves. Now, we take juice orders and pour it in the kitchen and serve them. What can I say? They like the serving wench and serving dude here. :)
I've more recently had guests standing around the coffee who ask me for juice. As in, 'Where's the juice?' I guess a lot of B&B's have the juice out with the coffee.

Comments?
No we are not hotels. As always this is provided as food for thought in OUR businesses.
We do however serve breakfast and provide juice.
Do you offer seconds?
Do you see if someone has finished their juice and automatically refill?
Do you serve your juice in sippy cups? (that is a joke, for those who have no sense of humor - I am referring to Barry's cup in the photo)
Lastly, his comment about the BAD LAST IMPRESSION is key. Sometimes we might feel they are nearly out the door at this point. Shouldn't the last impression be as important as the first?.
We put juices out in a (wine) carafe and refill the carafe if it goes empty.

Comments?
No we are not hotels. As always this is provided as food for thought in OUR businesses.
Do you offer seconds?
Do you serve your juice in sippy cups? (that is a joke, for those who have no sense of humor - I am referring to Barry's cup in the photo)
Lastly, his comment about the BAD LAST IMPRESSION is key. Sometimes we might feel they are nearly out the door at this point. Shouldn't the last impression be as important as the first?.
So a smaller server than a usual pitcher? My 'pitcher,' which looks like the Kool Aid kid, holds a whole bottle of juice. I have a bunch of small wine carafes, so I might try that.

Morticia wrote:
So a smaller server than a usual pitcher? My 'pitcher,' which looks like the Kool Aid kid, holds a whole bottle of juice. I have a bunch of small wine carafes, so I might try that.
Paul Masson sold wine in carafes way back (I have no idea if still do) and I saved them. I use them for milk but could do for juice. I put it in a crock with ice (I crack some cubes with the back of a tablespoon) to keep it chilled. I also have a couple small pitchers I use for the non-citric juice that is less used than the OJ.

Comments?
Do you offer seconds?
Those smaller wine carafes are nice if you were to put them on your individual tables with the juice glasses set at their place settings. We really don't have everyone that drinks orange juice here. It's split with cranberry or some cranberry combo and the occasional request for grapefruit, tomato, or apple. Plus, there are folks that don't drink juice at all because we have a fruit course.

The best OJ I ever tasted was from a Mexican restaurant. They had a machine with a lineup of fresh oranges showing. YUM, was it GOOD!
I serve my juice in a thin, stemmed wine glass, etched crystal. It is the prettiest piece of glass I own and want to show it off. I'm guessing it is between 6-8 oz.
When I notice a glass of juice is low, I ask if they'd like a refill. I "have" to have something cold to drink with breakfast. To quench a hot entree???

Over the years I've learned to take tastes of food at buffets. If I do not enjoy that food, or think I've eaten better, I simply leave the food on the plate. I do not worry about "the starving children in India," I probably left 1/2 my various desserts on my plate on Thanksgiving. The chocolate cake, that was larger than it should have been, didn't taste as good as I thought it should. One bite sufficed. The other desserts were good, but one bite satisfied my curiosity. (No, I'm not inferring that innkeepers serve bad food. My guests leave food on their plates as well.)

Over the years I've learned to take tastes of food at buffets. If I do not enjoy that food, or think I've eaten better, I simply leave the food on the plate. I do not worry about "the starving children in India," I probably left 1/2 my various desserts on my plate on Thanksgiving. The chocolate cake, that was larger than it should have been, didn't taste as good as I thought it should. One bite sufficed. The other desserts were good, but one bite satisfied my curiosity. (No, I'm not inferring that innkeepers serve bad food. My guests leave food on their plates as well.)
Exactly! a "taste" of everything that looks good. If it actually does taste good, seconds can be had. What I object to (although I only said anything to my kids that one does not do that) is people taking huge helpings and eating only a taste. For us, it was starving children in China.... But it was always true that whether we ate what was in front of us or not, the children in China were not going to get it!

I've more recently had guests standing around the coffee who ask me for juice. As in, 'Where's the juice?' I guess a lot of B&B's have the juice out with the coffee.
I guess that would be easier, to have a small carafe of juice on the table. I offer a choice of 2-3 juices. I have a bad habit of forgetting to ask, since I'm busy making the main course, and the water/coffee/baking/fruit have already been served.
C

when i bought juice glasses online, i was astounded by how small they were. they reminded me of the plastic 'organge juice cups' of my childhood. six little ones and one a little bigger, that was my dad's. we only drank orange juice out of them and they always seemed to taste to us of orange juice, no matter what you might decide to drink out of them. they sat in the cupboard, just for juice. at the inn, my coffee/tea and juice setup was self-serve, all the different glasses and mugs upside down on the buffet table. so if i guest chose a bigger glass or mug, it was fine with me. i overheard a couple times the comment about the tiny juice glasses. but since they were able to refill, no one complained.
i don't like orange juice ... never have. not even freshly squeezed from freshly picked oranges while in florida. i'll go sit in the corner now.

Morticia said:
So, for everyone who puts the juice on the table, how do you keep it cold? I'm looking at a 2 hour time span here when juice woould steadily be getting warm and then having to be thrown out. I like the idea of not having to play serving wench all morning, but not liking throwing out a couple of pitchers of juice everyday.
What if you put out a pitcher, then after 30-45 minutes switch it out for a new (cold) pitcher... two pitchers in rotation?
=)
Kk.

Back