Why It’s a Mistake To Ration The Orange Juice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Why It’s a Mistake To Ration The Orange Juice[/h3]
There’s a worrying trend in hotels lately. I’m sure you’ve noticed it. It has now got to a point where I can no longer skulk in the shadows and not address the elephant in the room. I have been too quiet for too long on this subject.
I am talking of course about the size of orange juice glasses on the breakfast buffet. The ever decreasing size of juice glasses is more than a simple cause for concern. It is just bad for business. Have alook at the orange juice “glass” that was available to me in a hotel this week:
orangejuice-300x225.jpg

It’s never a good sign when the orange juice glass is smaller than the salt and pepper shakers. Now that I look closely at the picture I took, even the upright sugar sachets are as tall!
What kind of impression is this to give me during the last interaction I have with a hotel? The room was nice, service was good, food was fine, but then this. This abomination presents itself to me!
The reason this is such a business faux pas is that most hotels that ration the orange juice have little or no concern for how much bacon has been put out on display for me to eat, or how much fruit has been chopped up, not to mention the television or ironing board that were available to me if I really wanted to rip off the hotel, so why ration the orange juice? What’s the most damage I could do to your bottom line? $5 at a push?
I could have hit you for more than that with one snugly fitting bath towel in my bag as I leave!
Bad last impression when the collateral damage of this lasting impression is so great!
Article from http://www.thebarblogger.com/

Comments?
No we are not hotels. As always this is provided as food for thought in OUR businesses.
We do however serve breakfast and provide juice.
Do you offer seconds?
Do you see if someone has finished their juice and automatically refill?
Do you serve your juice in sippy cups? (that is a joke, for those who have no sense of humor - I am referring to Barry's cup in the photo)
Lastly, his comment about the BAD LAST IMPRESSION is key. Sometimes we might feel they are nearly out the door at this point. Shouldn't the last impression be as important as the first?

Glenwood Springs, Colo., from $50 per room per night[/B]Located near both Aspen and Vail, Glenwood Springs is offering a post-ski and pre-summer special, Springs Thaw.
As I said before, they are slashing room rates so something has to give and apparently it is orange juice.

I LOVE orange juice, and it was always strictly rationed in our household of 6 when I was growing up. So we have a never-empty carafe on the breakfast tables at all times. You empty it, we'll fill it back up, as many times as you like.
I actually had a guest of the PO's comment to me how nice this was...PO's would fill the carafes ONCE and that was it...and look out if she saw you filling the larger water glass with juice instead...you would get scolded!

Comments?
No we are not hotels. As always this is provided as food for thought in OUR businesses.
We do however serve breakfast and provide juice.
Do you offer seconds?
Do you see if someone has finished their juice and automatically refill?
Do you serve your juice in sippy cups? (that is a joke, for those who have no sense of humor - I am referring to Barry's cup in the photo)
Lastly, his comment about the BAD LAST IMPRESSION is key. Sometimes we might feel they are nearly out the door at this point. Shouldn't the last impression be as important as the first?.
I don't auto refill juice. Most of the time I don't even ask unless that is all the guest is drinking. If they do not have coffee or tea, then I will ask if they want more juice. We throw away a lot of juice which, I guess, is one reason I don't ask if they want more.
BTW, my juice glasses are 7 ozs. This is up from the previous glass size, which was 6 ozs. I fill to the top.
My personal juice glass is 12 ozs, but it's all I drink in the morning.

Now in reality, when you buy a set of glasses, there is a small one that is called a "juice glass" so there WAS a reason the juice was served in a smaller glass, it was fresh squeezed. Today, however, most juice is from concentrate and if not made in FLA or Mexico it is even produced in China (as it most apple juice).
So the rationing of OJ does go way back, when you ate out you would pay premium for a very small glass of oj and it was a treat. There was never an option of bottomless cup or tall goblet of oj. Now restaurants have machines that they pour the concentrate into and serve from. Most households had reamers until this current disposable fast food generation. :)
Today is a different world from the not long ago 1950's and 60's.

Now in reality, when you buy a set of glasses, there is a small one that is called a "juice glass" so there WAS a reason the juice was served in a smaller glass, it was fresh squeezed. Today, however, most juice is from concentrate and if not made in FLA or Mexico it is even produced in China (as it most apple juice).
So the rationing of OJ does go way back, when you ate out you would pay premium for a very small glass of oj and it was a treat. There was never an option of bottomless cup or tall goblet of oj. Now restaurants have machines that they pour the concentrate into and serve from. Most households had reamers until this current disposable fast food generation. :)
Today is a different world from the not long ago 1950's and 60's..
And the sad part is that the 'juice glass' and the 'juice serving' have stayed the same size and price even tho the juice is from a jar and not fresh-squeezed. I have both a plastic 'juicer' and a metal one that's pretty old. I'm always surprised when I get a big glass of juice at a diner.

I use my wine goblets as juice glasses and I have noticed that most guests use the water goblet for their juice - they rarely pour the water. I have 3 pitchers on the table - water, OJ (premium only here), and a non-citric. If I see the OJ pitcher is empty, I add more. We do not do portion limits on anything beyond the capacity of the dish used to cook the entree and if serving English muffin bread it being one loaf per person.
If the OJ carton says from concentrate, it stays on the grocery shelf.

You know, it's not really just about the OJ, is it? It's that way about every facet of the business. There needs to be 'enough' of everything the guest might want without there being 'too much' so it goes to waste. Soap, towels, snacks, whatever 'it' is.
The guest needs to feel they are being taken care of and for each guest that's a different level so it's quite the balancing act we have here.

You know, it's not really just about the OJ, is it? It's that way about every facet of the business. There needs to be 'enough' of everything the guest might want without there being 'too much' so it goes to waste. Soap, towels, snacks, whatever 'it' is.
The guest needs to feel they are being taken care of and for each guest that's a different level so it's quite the balancing act we have here..
Very true.

The guest needs to feel they are being taken care of and for each guest that's a different level so it's quite the balancing act we have here..
Morticia said:
The guest needs to feel they are being taken care of and for each guest that's a different level so it's quite the balancing act we have here.
Good terminology - The Balancing Act. We sure do get it don't we..."We wanted to be entertained by the innkeepers!" "We want privacy and to be left alone" "We we we!!!" The smallest guest ALWAYS eats the most, the biggest guest eats the least -- at my table, they snack and eat plenty later. There is no way of telling who pecks at their food and who is ravenous, who LOVES waffles and fresh peaches and who hates them! The Balancing Act.

I actually prefer the smaller glasses. To me, drinking juice out of a big glass is like drinking wine out of a mug.
Some folks may prefer the big glass and feel that's indulgent. Not me. It just always feels like someone didn't have enough juice glasses!
As with everything, we're all different and have different tastes, different preferences. For my juice, though, small glass please.

But it's really any kind of juice that could be in short supply. Or, any amenity that the guest wanted more of that they couldn't have or just wouldn't ask for. I can't tell you how many guests LOVE that we now have ice available and they don't have to ask or, worse, furtively go into my kitchen and take it. I needed a new guest fridge for under the counter and having one with a freezer has made so many guests happy with so little effort!
I was impressed with the size of the juice glasses we got at a place in VA. I was not expecting fresh-squeezed but was sort of surprised when the innkeeper came to the table with a generic plastic gallon from the grocery store. THAT so did not fit the surroundings which were rather posh!
So I try not to underestimate what might strike a guest the wrong way. The juice was good but serving from a plastic gallon was so 'not done!'
We replaced our juice glasses last year and many guests noticed. Not that they were getting more juice, but that the glasses weren't as nice as the old ones. (Old ones were no longer made and the ones we had were really scratched up.) Lots of guests asked where we had gotten the old ones, everyone liked them.

I actually prefer the smaller glasses. To me, drinking juice out of a big glass is like drinking wine out of a mug.
Some folks may prefer the big glass and feel that's indulgent. Not me. It just always feels like someone didn't have enough juice glasses!
As with everything, we're all different and have different tastes, different preferences. For my juice, though, small glass please..
Innkeeper To Go said:
As with everything, we're all different and have different tastes, different preferences. For my juice, though, small glass please.
I'm with ya. Never even think about a BIG glass for juice. Maybe not teensy though, maybe a reg size juice glass would fit the bill. Wonder why someone thinks a water glass is the right size for a juice glass anyway? I don't like my cold drinks going warm.

But it's really any kind of juice that could be in short supply. Or, any amenity that the guest wanted more of that they couldn't have or just wouldn't ask for. I can't tell you how many guests LOVE that we now have ice available and they don't have to ask or, worse, furtively go into my kitchen and take it. I needed a new guest fridge for under the counter and having one with a freezer has made so many guests happy with so little effort!
I was impressed with the size of the juice glasses we got at a place in VA. I was not expecting fresh-squeezed but was sort of surprised when the innkeeper came to the table with a generic plastic gallon from the grocery store. THAT so did not fit the surroundings which were rather posh!
So I try not to underestimate what might strike a guest the wrong way. The juice was good but serving from a plastic gallon was so 'not done!'
We replaced our juice glasses last year and many guests noticed. Not that they were getting more juice, but that the glasses weren't as nice as the old ones. (Old ones were no longer made and the ones we had were really scratched up.) Lots of guests asked where we had gotten the old ones, everyone liked them..
One B&B served us smoothies pre breakfast, now with coffee, juice, water, and food a SMALL smoothie would have been just right, but we had these great big things and it really ruined my appetite for breakfast or I would have to waste it, which I hate doing. I guess I don't want any part of the meal overpowering the rest or let the guest choose I suppose. But we are all diff with diff tastes, as our guests are diff with diff tastes.

As with everything, we're all different and have different tastes, different preferences. For my juice, though, small glass please..
Innkeeper To Go said:
I'm with ya. Never even think about a BIG glass for juice. Maybe not teensy though, maybe a reg size juice glass would fit the bill. Wonder why someone thinks a water glass is the right size for a juice glass anyway? I don't like my cold drinks going warm.
This kind of comes back to the way people eat now. Does anyone who doesn't own an inn have a 'juice glass?' Most 'kids' think of a serving of juice as the half pint they get a school. An 'old school' 4 oz juice glass seems weeny now. Maybe that's what Barry got, too, a 4 oz juicer. Probably has shot glasses at his bar that are bigger!

Innkeeper To Go said:
This kind of comes back to the way people eat now. Does anyone who doesn't own an inn have a 'juice glass?' Most 'kids' think of a serving of juice as the half pint they get a school. An 'old school' 4 oz juice glass seems weeny now. Maybe that's what Barry got, too, a 4 oz juicer. Probably has shot glasses at his bar that are bigger!
Does anyone who doesn't own an inn have a 'juice glass?'
When I was a kid the empty pimento cheese glass was a juice glass. Mom made all our jelly but I knew some who had grape jelly glasses as juice glasses. I once gave a set of goblets to a lady for Christmas as a just because - because she wanted to have something other than jelly glasses for a glass of wine (her husband thought they sufficed).

We don't have juice glasses. We use stemmed wine glasses for juice and water in the morning. We do pour unlimited refills and do ask if guests want more juice. The last owner did not give more than one glass of juice in the a.m. We also use premium from the carton - not fresh-squeezed but not from concentrate.

Innkeeper To Go said:
When I was a kid the empty pimento cheese glass was a juice glass. Mom made all our jelly but I knew some who had grape jelly glasses as juice glasses. I once gave a set of goblets to a lady for Christmas as a just because - because she wanted to have something other than jelly glasses for a glass of wine (her husband thought they sufficed).
Oh yeah, and the shrimp cocktail that came in those glasses was a big treat! 'Character' jelly jars were another source of 'glassware' for my family.

Innkeeper To Go said:
Oh yeah, and the shrimp cocktail that came in those glasses was a big treat! 'Character' jelly jars were another source of 'glassware' for my family.
That is them!

Back