Why it is tough to run an inn alone

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Even if you have two people (a couple) running the place, oftentimes the weight or the urgency falls on other.
This morning with five rooms ready for breakfast, DH can barely assist as he mashed his thumb yesterday and has blood and other liquid dripping out the corners near his thumnail. He also has a cold. He did make the coffee carefully.
So I had a few grapes and a few swigs of coffee and felt it was time to take a pill before serving guests.
They are out having course #1 and I am lying on the bed doubled over wretching. Cold sweat pouring off my face like from a squeezed sponge.
I am this way with any multi-vitamin, full stomach or queazy.
Meanwhile one room is checking out and we have to get another cleaned and made up. Then all the others freshened and this and that and the other.
It was awful. If you are to run a place on your own, you better make sure you have help at those peak hours - like breakfast times. I layed there in nausea thinking of those who couldn't even zip out to tell the guests what happened. I mean, how could you do it? With a bowl under you face, dizzy and sickly?
Just thought I would share another drama here.

Wow! Hope everyone is on the mend. Was the nausea from the Lyme meds? (I know you said multivitamin, but I'm thinking, if she knows it makes her sick, why did she take it? so I'm guessing it was something else.)

Yeah. In fact I just took it again after eating at 230pm some cheese, crackers and gallo salami, finally, and the waves of nasea are beginning. It is only amoxocilin. DANG IT. Simple, easy, not even required to take with food.

Yeah. In fact I just took it again after eating at 230pm some cheese, crackers and gallo salami, finally, and the waves of nasea are beginning. It is only amoxocilin. DANG IT. Simple, easy, not even required to take with food..
OK, how the heck can this be helping you if you can't keep it down?

This morning, all four rooms needed cleaned so I can take pictures. One has guests tonight, the other tomorrow. I'm sitting reading the forum, and my heart is pounding, feels like it's skipping beats or pushing too hard. It did it last night, too. Dh says I should go to the hospital. I say it's not that bad, just pounding. But why? I don't drink coffee. I'm not doing anything but reading the forum.
My mom died suddenly of a massive heart attack, but I've always had a sense that had she called sooner, or gotten checked out sooner, she wouldn't have died. After a while it bugged me enough to leave him here with the kids and drive to the hospital (barely a half mile away) and be checked out (I called him when I got there). Three hours out of my day and a Holter heart monitor on my hip... guests can come in tonight but the rest of the rooms aren't ready, so no picture taking today.
Thank goodness it's Saturday (dh is home)... and praise God it's not serious.
=)
Kk.

Stress or anxiety?
I am glad you went. You have to go. We never like to go, we can't go, but we must. So glad you went and now you have peace of mind.

poor thing!
that is awful!
i go it alone and if i was too sick i guess i'd have to call the little hotel and tell them i need to send my guests to you for breakfast and i will pay you. as for cleaning when feeling realy bad, nightmare!
hope you both are better soon.

This morning, all four rooms needed cleaned so I can take pictures. One has guests tonight, the other tomorrow. I'm sitting reading the forum, and my heart is pounding, feels like it's skipping beats or pushing too hard. It did it last night, too. Dh says I should go to the hospital. I say it's not that bad, just pounding. But why? I don't drink coffee. I'm not doing anything but reading the forum.
My mom died suddenly of a massive heart attack, but I've always had a sense that had she called sooner, or gotten checked out sooner, she wouldn't have died. After a while it bugged me enough to leave him here with the kids and drive to the hospital (barely a half mile away) and be checked out (I called him when I got there). Three hours out of my day and a Holter heart monitor on my hip... guests can come in tonight but the rest of the rooms aren't ready, so no picture taking today.
=)
Kk..
I am glad you went and got checked out. Your genes have fixable problems and you have young ones (and DH) who need you. I sincerely hope everything checks out OK - but the only way you will know IS to have it checked. Take care and take it easy.

Stress or anxiety?
I am glad you went. You have to go. We never like to go, we can't go, but we must. So glad you went and now you have peace of mind..
I wouldn't call it peace of mind, exactly. Now I have something else to do... write down my activity and symptoms as I go about my day. The dr was too quick... PAC... stimulants. But except for chocolate (which I confess to eating a LOT of) I don't have caffeine at all. (OK, I had a little bit last Wednesday or Thursday.)
The nurse was more helpful and explained things a little, PAC is for Premature Aortic Contraction. It can be triggered by stimulants, but not necessarily. Mostly I'm just on the monitor and will go see my regular dr (who I just selected and visited last week as I've lived here two years and I thought it was about time I had a regular doctor). She'll decide if I need an eco or a stress test or whatever.
All they could do was say there's nothing major visible in a chest x-ray. I said, "I checked out OK then?" The nurse said she had two different patients "check out OK" but one had a heart attack in the waiting room on his way out, and the other had one at home. If I feel major symptoms I am to come back. Otherwise I am to go about my day and record it all for my doc.
Great... now the tornado siren's going off.
Bye!
=)
Kk.

Stress or anxiety?
I am glad you went. You have to go. We never like to go, we can't go, but we must. So glad you went and now you have peace of mind..
I wouldn't call it peace of mind, exactly. Now I have something else to do... write down my activity and symptoms as I go about my day. The dr was too quick... PAC... stimulants. But except for chocolate (which I confess to eating a LOT of) I don't have caffeine at all. (OK, I had a little bit last Wednesday or Thursday.)
The nurse was more helpful and explained things a little, PAC is for Premature Aortic Contraction. It can be triggered by stimulants, but not necessarily. Mostly I'm just on the monitor and will go see my regular dr (who I just selected and visited last week as I've lived here two years and I thought it was about time I had a regular doctor). She'll decide if I need an eco or a stress test or whatever.
All they could do was say there's nothing major visible in a chest x-ray. I said, "I checked out OK then?" The nurse said she had two different patients "check out OK" but one had a heart attack in the waiting room on his way out, and the other had one at home. If I feel major symptoms I am to come back. Otherwise I am to go about my day and record it all for my doc.
Bye!
=)
Kk.
Keep in mind that heart attack symptoms for women can be different...malaise, aching back, nausea, tiredness. Hope this is nothing.

=)
Kk..
Take care Kk.

Stress or anxiety?
Bye!
=)
Kk.
Actually, PAC is the acronym for Premature Atrial Contractions (the atria are the upper two chambers of the heart which pump blood to the lungs). PAC is not uncommon and can be aggravated by stress or stimulants. Good thing that they got a Holter Monitor on you and the diary will help to see what you do that triggers it (if anything). Sorry to hear that you have this going on. Hopefully it's something transient and no big deal. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Reading this a bit late, but I hope both YellowSocks and JBJ are feeling better.

Yeah. In fact I just took it again after eating at 230pm some cheese, crackers and gallo salami, finally, and the waves of nasea are beginning. It is only amoxocilin. DANG IT. Simple, easy, not even required to take with food..
OK, my friend...try to take those antibiotics with food that is not high in fat content (the cheese, crackers and salami was probably not a good choice) and that should help :) Sorry that you're not feeling well :-(

Just now catching up...I had to go out on the bay and tow a boat (my captain in his dinghy) in, so it was a "rescue" day. I hope everyone is well and feeling better.
I run the B&B part of my operation solo, and have often wondered what would I do if I woke up one morning feeling "sicker than a dog" and unable to crawl out of bed. Fortunately, that hasn't happened to me, and I pray it never will. I don't have a back up plan, but probably should. I do remember one time years ago while cooking breakfast for the neighborhood breakfast gang (every Sunday morning it was breakfast at one of our homes)...extremely nauseated and not able to get far from....you get the picture...but I managed to pull off a full breakfast, including made from scratch crepes (never did that again...not a good memory). I was so happy to see the last guest leave...and back to bed I went. That was about a little more than 10 years ago. I'm not sure I could pull that off these days, and don't want to test those waters.

Stress or anxiety?
Bye!
=)
Kk.
Actually, PAC is the acronym for Premature Atrial Contractions (the atria are the upper two chambers of the heart which pump blood to the lungs). PAC is not uncommon and can be aggravated by stress or stimulants. Good thing that they got a Holter Monitor on you and the diary will help to see what you do that triggers it (if anything). Sorry to hear that you have this going on. Hopefully it's something transient and no big deal. {{{{{hugs}}}}}
Well, at least I got the Premature part right! I was annoyed at the doctor... I was dozing (takes an hour for the blood work to come back) and he came in and started talking at me while I was laying down still asleep. Hello? Let me sit up?
They kept asking about stimulants... and saying chocolate would count... but I didn't have any this morning. I did (don't tell dh!) actually drink a little coffee earlier in the week, maybe 1/3 cup, although the way dh makes it it's probably equivalent to a full cup plus.
And stress-wise... I've usually got plenty and generally like having it.
I told them I thought the episodes Friday night were lack of sleep, but I got plenty of sleep last night so I was surprised when it came back in the morning.
I did get the impression it was common enough and no big deal enough not to worry too much (unless, of course, new symptoms arise). And my blood work is still good, no big red flags there. I appreciate your giving me the proper name, thanks!! And my heart did do it's jumpy thingy while I was on the monitors, so it was nice to know I wasn't imagining things, either.
The tornado (if there was one) went way north of us. Guests got rained out of their activity though and came early while I was out. Dh was all discombobulated with their arrival (I warned him they might), and a boy acting up, and the upstairs room a mess and not ready for the guest coming tomorrow... crossly calling my cell phone and telling me to get home now. I told him I'd already talked to the guests (twice), that the room would be fine, and to chill out. The guests are delighted, the room's put together (although needs scrubbed yet), and all is well again.
=)
Kk.

Stress or anxiety?
Bye!
=)
Kk.
Well, at least I got the Premature part right! I was annoyed at the doctor... I was dozing (takes an hour for the blood work to come back) and he came in and started talking at me while I was laying down still asleep. Hello? Let me sit up?
They kept asking about stimulants... and saying chocolate would count... but I didn't have any this morning. I did (don't tell dh!) actually drink a little coffee earlier in the week, maybe 1/3 cup, although the way dh makes it it's probably equivalent to a full cup plus.
And stress-wise... I've usually got plenty and generally like having it.
I told them I thought the episodes Friday night were lack of sleep, but I got plenty of sleep last night so I was surprised when it came back in the morning.
I did get the impression it was common enough and no big deal enough not to worry too much (unless, of course, new symptoms arise). And my blood work is still good, no big red flags there. I appreciate your giving me the proper name, thanks!! And my heart did do it's jumpy thingy while I was on the monitors, so it was nice to know I wasn't imagining things, either.
The tornado (if there was one) went way north of us. Guests got rained out of their activity though and came early while I was out. Dh was all discombobulated with their arrival (I warned him they might), and a boy acting up, and the upstairs room a mess and not ready for the guest coming tomorrow... crossly calling my cell phone and telling me to get home now. I told him I'd already talked to the guests (twice), that the room would be fine, and to chill out. The guests are delighted, the room's put together (although needs scrubbed yet), and all is well again.
=)
Kk.
Yep, more than usual innkeeper stress :-( I forget the statistics but PAC occuring every so often is pretty common in the general population . We all have things that affect the electric conductivity in our hearts. Hopefully, it's no big deal for you!! Take it easy!

Thanks!
I think I wouldn't have even noticed, and definitely wouldn't have bothered, if my mom hadn't died of the heart attack. It makes me a lot more willing to spend the three hours at ER to make sure there aren't any big issues.
And it's not overly painful, mostly disconcerting.
Thanks again,
=)
Kk.

Back