Why people don't stay at B&B's Part II

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They knew perfectly well that you were a B+B but were trying to put pressure on you to offer a one-night stay at a discounted price without actually having to ask for it..
Silverspoon said:
They knew perfectly well that you were a B+B but were trying to put pressure on you to offer a one-night stay at a discounted price without actually having to ask for it.
See, I am too literal for these people. You say you don't want a B&B, you want a motel and I give you directions to a motel! There was no question of price, no question of location. There was nothing but, 'Are you a B&B?' and then her stating they didn't want a B&B.
These are the times that I'm so tempted to send them to the worst place in the city... I never do, but I am SO tempted each time.
I send them to the Chamber of Commerce for advice since I really have no idea about the availability or quality of the motels. Period. If they end up driving around looking for vacancy signs so be it. But in this day and age, with mobile devices so common, they surely have some alternatives in mind.
Now that I am thinking about it...the only places around here with vacancy/no vacancy signs are the B&B's. I can't picture any on the hotels. So they would either have had to find those phone numbers same place they found mine or get out of the car at each place and go inside.

Service is what sets us a part. That is what sets one inn apart from the next. Over the top service? No.
Case in point, I go to the same grocery store to get my produce and the grocery manager is there every time, and ne'er once has said hello, or how are you, or drum roll please...smiled. You can walk through the whole store and have NONE of the employees who work with the public - smile at you. At the check-out yesterday "you saved $15 dollars" as she hands me the recpt and out I go. Nothing more.
I would actually ENJOY shopping there and spending hundreds a pop if they smiled, said thank you, or acknowledged me. Never. They don't.
Now I took daughter to a local Mexican restaurant where a former server from the one on our corner (which is now closed) now works, he walked over and greeted us and shook our hands, he is from Dominican Republic. He was not even our server. He came back by to see how everything was (and he was not our server). Well done!
regular_smile.gif
So if people prefer motels/hotels does that mean they feel they don't deserve good service?
I have to ask- do you notice everyone is treated the same way at your grocery store? Do they ignore everyone? Not smile or chat with anyone? I just do not get this. Even the vendors stocking the shelves smile and apologize for taking up the aisle.
I'm not saying every time every single person is happy, chatty and smiling. But way more than the gang by you! We've got our cranky ones and ones whose time you're taking up by shopping and going thru their register. But...
I went to pick up a GC the other day (one of many I have bought in the past 2 weeks due to a sale where I got $10 for every $50 I spent). The clerk looked at me and asked if I was an employee. I said I wasn't and she commented how familiar I looked to her and then said, 'OH, yes! You're the one who told me where the other Stonewall Kitchens store is! I have used that information many times, thank you!'
See, that's what I'm used to. And some clerks at the same store asking how's business and saying they sent a few tourists my way.
And the gal at the farmers market who always put aside a pretzel for me. And the guy who offered to drop off a flat of blueberries so I wouldn't have to carry them home from the same farmers market.
I'm spoiled. I expect to be greeted and treated well. And I am astonished when I'm not. No matter where I go. Spoiled.

Service is what sets us a part. That is what sets one inn apart from the next. Over the top service? No.
Case in point, I go to the same grocery store to get my produce and the grocery manager is there every time, and ne'er once has said hello, or how are you, or drum roll please...smiled. You can walk through the whole store and have NONE of the employees who work with the public - smile at you. At the check-out yesterday "you saved $15 dollars" as she hands me the recpt and out I go. Nothing more.
I would actually ENJOY shopping there and spending hundreds a pop if they smiled, said thank you, or acknowledged me. Never. They don't.
Now I took daughter to a local Mexican restaurant where a former server from the one on our corner (which is now closed) now works, he walked over and greeted us and shook our hands, he is from Dominican Republic. He was not even our server. He came back by to see how everything was (and he was not our server). Well done!
regular_smile.gif
So if people prefer motels/hotels does that mean they feel they don't deserve good service?
I have to ask- do you notice everyone is treated the same way at your grocery store? Do they ignore everyone? Not smile or chat with anyone? I just do not get this. Even the vendors stocking the shelves smile and apologize for taking up the aisle.
I'm not saying every time every single person is happy, chatty and smiling. But way more than the gang by you! We've got our cranky ones and ones whose time you're taking up by shopping and going thru their register. But...
I went to pick up a GC the other day (one of many I have bought in the past 2 weeks due to a sale where I got $10 for every $50 I spent). The clerk looked at me and asked if I was an employee. I said I wasn't and she commented how familiar I looked to her and then said, 'OH, yes! You're the one who told me where the other Stonewall Kitchens store is! I have used that information many times, thank you!'
See, that's what I'm used to. And some clerks at the same store asking how's business and saying they sent a few tourists my way.
And the gal at the farmers market who always put aside a pretzel for me. And the guy who offered to drop off a flat of blueberries so I wouldn't have to carry them home from the same farmers market.
I'm spoiled. I expect to be greeted and treated well. And I am astonished when I'm not. No matter where I go. Spoiled.
I get your kind of treatment, Maddie. The produce guy at the local grocery always smiles and asks how I am. The folks at the produce store remind me if I forget something I usually have in my order, ask if I need a fruit they are putting on sale, and always carry the boxes out to the car. I bought a pumpkin for $3.99 last week (paying inside to pick one up on the way out from the bin). I lost track of which bin was the 3.99 and the owner was there. I asked where the 3.99 pumpkins were and she said any one from this bin - I knew that was not the right one and she repeated - for you, any one in this bin.
JB - you are always smiling - I cannot believe anyone could resist your smile to not smile back. Schmucks! (Not doubting you - it is just mind-boggling.)

I understand that we all want more business. But B&B's are fancier and a bit more expensive. I think we cultivate that image. In the US, the B&B has evolved into something special and a bit distinct from the typical hotel/motel stay..
toddburme said:
I understand that we all want more business. But B&B's are fancier and a bit more expensive. I think we cultivate that image. In the US, the B&B has evolved into something special and a bit distinct from the typical hotel/motel stay.
You nailed it Toddster. It is an "experience" and not everyone wants an "experience"
But they get it wherever they stay, one way or another. They just don't think about it in advance...
Let me share what a customer service expert shared this week, she travels all over and stays in hotels. She often watched the front desk interaction etc. Anyway, this one chain she now opts for will check her in, she is in the room for about 10 min's and the phone rings "Mrs Jones, this is the front desk, we are calling to see if you have everything you need for your stay?"
She was taken aback, floored more like it!
  1. Our family of four always find 3 towels in a hotel room. We ALWAYS have to call the front desk for the 4th person (or lord forbid we want more than one towel per person).
  2. There may be a couple spare pillows (or if it is a king bed they line them up like diamonds on the bed) but...there are still not TWO PER PERSON which is required for any of us who like to read in bed, or even watch telly. So we ALWAYS have to call the front desk, who calls housekeeping, and we stand around waiting, so we can get the extra pillows.
And there ya have it, something simple that spoke volumes! Do you do this with your guests? After they check in do you ask if they have found everything they need? Many of us have a little blurb we say "If you need anything please ring the bell..." or there is a card in their room or check in sheet saying "If you need anything..." But do you ask?
Sorry this is lengthy. I have to add one more thing. After some major pitas I stopped putting personalized welcome cards in the rooms. I do cards or notes for special occasions, always. But I was putting a little card in every single room with a PERSONAL welcome to the guest(s). I stopped. I am now back on it, doing it again. Why? Because when you stay in a hotel you are not greeted by name, there is no personalization to your stay. That is what makes us different. We are real people who CARE about our guests.
I think to myself, how much would I appreciate it if I saw a "Welcome to the inn Mr & Mrs Bloggs, we hope you thoroughly enjoy your stay" I would love it! I would overlook the little pitfalls I found. Guaranteed!
As the saying goes "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." --Maya Angelou
Maybe I'm just an old synic, or maybe I worked in IT too long. The front desk isn't calling you up because they care, they're ringing you up becuase their computer tells them to and it tells them to becuase the top boss has ordered that that's how it should be.
When you stay in a B&B the person who looks after you cares because they're doing a job they want to do, and it's their business that thrives or fails depending on how happy the customers are.
The last hotel I worked in had this policy - however never really had the time to implement it which was a shame

Why people don't stay at B&B's? Company politics, at least that is the reason for the guy this week. This guy will be in the area til Thanksgiving. He does not like the hotel (H brand) that he is in right now and contacted me, then came by to see the place. He called his company to set a reservation starting this Saturday.
The company travel agent asked me question after question... Why? Because I am not a chain, that is why. They wanted to find a reason to say no. In my eyes they did not get one - my nightly rate was $5 less and our taxes are 8%less and a real breakfast instead of stale continental. She told me she had to get approval from the boss and would call me back. She never did.
But the guy did. He said they would not approve. HE was the one that said it was company politics. But as he rattled I got a little more. His company uses a well known travel agency, while the agent did not ask for a commission, I bet she gets one from the H brand and I bet the company gets a kick back of some sort for so many stays.
The ironic part to this is that this guy is here to work with the S mall Bu sin ess Adm in.!!!
BTW, he DID book to stay here for 2 nights as his wife is coming in to see him, said he would pay it himself.

Why people don't stay at B&B's? Company politics, at least that is the reason for the guy this week. This guy will be in the area til Thanksgiving. He does not like the hotel (H brand) that he is in right now and contacted me, then came by to see the place. He called his company to set a reservation starting this Saturday.
The company travel agent asked me question after question... Why? Because I am not a chain, that is why. They wanted to find a reason to say no. In my eyes they did not get one - my nightly rate was $5 less and our taxes are 8%less and a real breakfast instead of stale continental. She told me she had to get approval from the boss and would call me back. She never did.
But the guy did. He said they would not approve. HE was the one that said it was company politics. But as he rattled I got a little more. His company uses a well known travel agency, while the agent did not ask for a commission, I bet she gets one from the H brand and I bet the company gets a kick back of some sort for so many stays.
The ironic part to this is that this guy is here to work with the S mall Bu sin ess Adm in.!!!
BTW, he DID book to stay here for 2 nights as his wife is coming in to see him, said he would pay it himself..
copperhead said:
BTW, he DID book to stay here for 2 nights as his wife is coming in to see him, said he would pay it himself.
DH has a trip down south this week and if he told his company he wants to stay at a B&B they would laugh and say no. It is just the way it is. But those who travel A LOT FOR BUSINESS will do the B&B scene as they know they need a change once in a while, something comfy and homey.
It's not politics at all with his company, just business. They think of B&B's being romantic getaways...so for all our marketing, sometimes we cut off our noses to spite our faces.

BTW, he DID book to stay here for 2 nights as his wife is coming in to see him, said he would pay it himself..
copperhead said:
DH has a trip down south this week and if he told his company he wants to stay at a B&B they would laugh and say no. It is just the way it is. But those who travel A LOT FOR BUSINESS will do the B&B scene as they know they need a change once in a while, something comfy and homey.
It's not politics at all with his company, just business. They think of B&B's being romantic getaways...so for all our marketing, sometimes we cut off our noses to spite our faces.
Joey Bloggs said:
And this is what I meant originally...how do we market that we're NOT just A or B but a lot of things?
We get a couple of biz guys and either they own the biz or they have a 'budget' and not a set chain they must stay at.

copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
And this is what I meant originally...how do we market that we're NOT just A or B but a lot of things?
We get a couple of biz guys and either they own the biz or they have a 'budget' and not a set chain they must stay at.
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
That is it. What do we want, who do we want, I know I know we want them all...But like your story of the amorous couple this morning, if I were a business traveler I would be put off by that.
I had someone who wanted to bring two 5 year olds to stay with grandparents...what are we? We are definitely NOT that.
We have to choose our niche. I would like more outdoorsy people here, for hiking, we have one room for that this weekend. For every person who loves bluegrass and hound dogs, there is a couple in black skinny jeans and shoes from Germany wearing strong cologne and designer watches...we have room for everyone here!

copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
It's not politics at all with his company, just business. They think of B&B's being romantic getaways...so for all our marketing sometimes we cut off our noses to spite our faces.
The business is the fact there would be no commission for the travel agent AND no kickback or points for the company since I am not in the H chain. Having been in the corp. world and dealt with the company travel agents (contracted via major firm) I had to deal with that issue often when the agent would book someone 15 miles away because it was a certain chain when there was another hotel across the street from the work place for the same or less.
This is the same scenario as what we deal with all the time. Like a person that will book a hotel for $109 with no breakfast instead of a B&B for $119 with a good hot breakfast. They are not thinking about the next morning having to dish out $20+ for what they could have gotten for the $10 difference. People do not look at the real VALUE, only face value at the moment of purchase.

copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
It's not politics at all with his company, just business. They think of B&B's being romantic getaways...so for all our marketing sometimes we cut off our noses to spite our faces.
The business is the fact there would be no commission for the travel agent AND no kickback or points for the company since I am not in the H chain. Having been in the corp. world and dealt with the company travel agents (contracted via major firm) I had to deal with that issue often when the agent would book someone 15 miles away because it was a certain chain when there was another hotel across the street from the work place for the same or less.
This is the same scenario as what we deal with all the time. Like a person that will book a hotel for $109 with no breakfast instead of a B&B for $119 with a good hot breakfast. They are not thinking about the next morning having to dish out $20+ for what they could have gotten for the $10 difference. People do not look at the real VALUE, only face value at the moment of purchase.
CH wrote: This is the same scenario as what we deal with all the time. Like a person that will book a hotel for $109 with no breakfast instead of a B&B for $119 with a good hot breakfast. They are not thinking about the next morning having to dish out $20+ for what they could have gotten for the $10 difference. People do not look at the real VALUE, only face value at the moment of purchase.
JB - Well for the per diem folks they have so much for each meal and we (legally here) are not allowed to charge separate for breakfast to make it worth their while. I know some inns do of course, and they should be allowed to!
Breakfast is something that stands apart 100% from hotels. Even a sit down meal is $12-14 and that is without oj! Gone are the $1.99 denny's deals for the most part.
Value, CH there is that word again. The more they spend the more the value they want.

copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
CH wrote: This is the same scenario as what we deal with all the time. Like a person that will book a hotel for $109 with no breakfast instead of a B&B for $119 with a good hot breakfast. They are not thinking about the next morning having to dish out $20+ for what they could have gotten for the $10 difference. People do not look at the real VALUE, only face value at the moment of purchase.
JB - Well for the per diem folks they have so much for each meal and we (legally here) are not allowed to charge separate for breakfast to make it worth their while. I know some inns do of course, and they should be allowed to!
Breakfast is something that stands apart 100% from hotels. Even a sit down meal is $12-14 and that is without oj! Gone are the $1.99 denny's deals for the most part.
Value, CH there is that word again. The more they spend the more the value they want.
Joey Bloggs said:
This was not per diem, he would have paid my reg rate which was still less than his H brand room rate! I know the rate was not the issue here.
But regarding (gov) per diem folks, I don't ever recall being asked to separate the meal rate from the room rate. If higher, they just pay the difference. They get so much for their daily expense (food, gas, etc.) regardless of how they spend it. If they don't need to spend anything on breakfast, the more they have for the rest of their stay. I have had per diem guests eat very cheap so they can pocket a little. I have also seen where they eat cheaply for all but one night so they can splurge on a very nice meal.

copperhead said:
I used to work for the big blue computer maker, travelled a lot on business. All travel, hotels, etc. had to be booked through their approved agent.
We lived near London and I worked in Scotland for a while, this agent arrangement meant I had to travel the awful 2 hour journey to Heathrow to catch the flag carrying airline flight to Edinburgh costing the company £250 return plus my petrol expenses, instead of a 15 min journey to my local airport and a cheap airline flight costing £90 for the same destination. All because the cheapo airline wouldn't accept bookings from agents.
Madness.
I went into my boss and refused to go unless I could book the flight myself through my local airport.

copperhead said:
I used to work for the big blue computer maker, travelled a lot on business. All travel, hotels, etc. had to be booked through their approved agent.
We lived near London and I worked in Scotland for a while, this agent arrangement meant I had to travel the awful 2 hour journey to Heathrow to catch the flag carrying airline flight to Edinburgh costing the company £250 return plus my petrol expenses, instead of a 15 min journey to my local airport and a cheap airline flight costing £90 for the same destination. All because the cheapo airline wouldn't accept bookings from agents.
Madness.
I went into my boss and refused to go unless I could book the flight myself through my local airport.
we had this problem with a very big cancer charity - they are building a big center here for research and care which is in partnership with a hospital and required the same 2 people to come once a month for various meetings. When it first started they booked with us and we did a double room for the single rate at a good deal because i believe it is important work and I want to support it - they always booked for themselves.
Then the charity appointed a travel agent and my people had to force them to accept us as a client so they could keep on staying with us - after a bit of a hoo har they did - but the charity people just couldn't understand why it was in their interest to not make their own bookings as they were trying to stay at places that were cheaper than the agency was providing. They were cross that the charitys money was being wasted in this way.

copperhead said:
Madness.
Highlands John said:
I used to work for the big blue computer maker, travelled a lot on business.
Get out! Me too!

This lead me to many different things and I finally found this. Take a look
Was this the person who came to the forum a while back looking for struggling B&B's? I think it is.
Arrgghh a hamster in a cage and she doesn't have online reservations!!!
I don't know....
I was cringing every time they asked her questions! And, she always had no clue... She has on line reservations now. The photos really make the place look so much better. I still think she is insane to run a 7 room B & B by herself.
I wish they had asked her if she paid herself a salary...my bet...NADA!

Back