Why people may object to a B&B in your area...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
...is because of idiots like the people that frequent a business near us! We are sick of people blocking intersections and crosswalks in our vicinity and our walkway and driveways in particular! We came home after a nice TGIF evening out to find our driveway blocked. grrrrrrrr.... There is plenty of parking in the block or within a block of this business near us. My dh called the cops and they finally came out but after one of the offending vehicles had already left. I hope the officer gives the remaining idjit a big, fat ticket!
As responsible business owners, we told our guests about downtown city parking etiquette just in case they missed that memo. AND, on our registration form where we told them about where they could park on our own property, we reminded them not to block walkways or driveways if they parked on the street.
Why do some people think that they own public streets?
Rant over. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh................

I ask my guests to park in front of the house - NOT in any of the parking lots around me (there are 3) because I do not own them. Anyone want to guess where they park?

Police officer issued a warning when the person appeared. My dh had a good conversation with the cop and explained our frustration. sigh....

I had a guest park in my neighbours drive! I made the guest go round and apologise! they knid of had to cos he blocked them in lOL

Another B&B, a neighbour has had both of the side-by-side driveways blocked in by a car. It can take hours for the local police to react, since we are low on their list of priorities.
A lovely note with some kind words on an 8.5 x 11 paper printed in the laser printer usually does the trick. To make sure that they see it, some glue stick on their windshield makes sure it is front and centre when they return. Nothing permanent, of course, but have you ever tried to remove glue stick from glass? Somehow, they never forget your kind words.

my neighbour used to stick it on with duct tape try getting that off lol

Rant: What I heard from my neighbors when I was "in process" as to why they didn't want me to build a B&B was
  • My guests might molest their children
  • Lights from the cars as they parked would disturb them (no windows on that side of his house)
  • The addition to the footprint of my house would cause more water in their basements (my property has the lowest elevation in the neighborhood)

Never understood the claim about noise......
I have a motel behind me and maybe 200 feet west.....I don't hear much....though lately the restuarant that is there has a live band 1 or 2 nights a week......I can hear that on the deck.
What bothers me the most......the County park that is behind me. There fence line 300 feet or so away......the picnic areas that on the weekends they bring in PA systems....Thump, thump, thump all day long.
We have sound ordinances.......and this coming season. I am calling the parks department regarding the noise.

Rant: What I heard from my neighbors when I was "in process" as to why they didn't want me to build a B&B was
  • My guests might molest their children
  • Lights from the cars as they parked would disturb them (no windows on that side of his house)
  • The addition to the footprint of my house would cause more water in their basements (my property has the lowest elevation in the neighborhood)
I have no idea what was gone thru to get this place licensed but, we DID have 2 of those issues- the water runoff from the parking and lights from the cars. Guess what happened? OMG, the OO's planted dense evergreen shrubs along the property line to keep out the light pollution and they BOUGHT the land that used to get wet from the slight runoff from the parking lot so I own it now. Oh, and the OO's HAD little kids so I guess if they were willing to take a chance...

what annoys me more is people who move near to a thing and then complain about it. we used to have a chap when I worked for the government who was trying to get money off because he lived near a nursary and could hear the children playing he moved next to it duh. When i worked at the yorkshire there were flats next to it who if they left their parking chains down they would come back to find hotel guests parked in their space. duh don't leave the chain there and don't live there.

what annoys me more is people who move near to a thing and then complain about it. we used to have a chap when I worked for the government who was trying to get money off because he lived near a nursary and could hear the children playing he moved next to it duh. When i worked at the yorkshire there were flats next to it who if they left their parking chains down they would come back to find hotel guests parked in their space. duh don't leave the chain there and don't live there..
In my case.........been in this house 37 years......Knew the motel and park was there....I don't mind the sound from the park of softball games and the like.........It's the invasion of the PA systems of recent years.

what annoys me more is people who move near to a thing and then complain about it. we used to have a chap when I worked for the government who was trying to get money off because he lived near a nursary and could hear the children playing he moved next to it duh. When i worked at the yorkshire there were flats next to it who if they left their parking chains down they would come back to find hotel guests parked in their space. duh don't leave the chain there and don't live there..
2 that really got me- 'flatlanders' (term of derision for people who move from 'flat' states to VT) who moved into town where there is a dairy farm next to the elementary school. One, fine spring day they chanced to be at the school when the wind changed. Next thing it's all over the news they want the dairy farm shut down because it 'smells' in the classroom. Really? And how can you be sure it's the farm and not the kids from all the surrounding farms?
The other was a housing development that was built near a large dairy farm. They loved the bucolic setting with the cows, pastures and lake in the background. Until the farm owner wanted to expand his business. A third generation farm, with all of the 'farmers' being graduates of the local 'land grant' college, endowers of same college and not total idjits in how to run a farm sustainably. After all, they had to live there, too. No, the neighbors protested loud and long that the farm (that had been there over 100 years before these people were born) should not be allowed to 'ruin' their lifestyle. They wanted to look, but not see or smell or be subjected to life on a farm in any way.
Unless you are lied to and told, 'No, nothing will ever be built on that land,' you should really take a look around you before you buy and decide if you want to live there.
(Altho, guests this morning said there is a lovely seaside town in England where the houses on one side of the street had gorgeous views of the water with just the roadway and a small strip of land between them and the Channel, until a supermarket bought the strip of land and put up a warehouse that blocked the 100's of years old view of the sea.)

Before we purchased this place, it was part of private school - this building & 3 others with 350 pre-K - 8th grade, no buses. The street is a dead end, with only 1 street off it just passed our property. This street leads to a +-50 house subdivision, built at the same time the school was built & opperating.
Fast forward - school closed for 3 years, yard overgrown (weeds taller than me), kids vandalized building and used it as a party house... We go to get zoning and a handful of the neighbors complain that our 5 room B&B will create too much traffic and noise! Right! (and that is what the zoning commissioner told them before the hearing) No one balked!

Another B&B, a neighbour has had both of the side-by-side driveways blocked in by a car. It can take hours for the local police to react, since we are low on their list of priorities.
A lovely note with some kind words on an 8.5 x 11 paper printed in the laser printer usually does the trick. To make sure that they see it, some glue stick on their windshield makes sure it is front and centre when they return. Nothing permanent, of course, but have you ever tried to remove glue stick from glass? Somehow, they never forget your kind words..
We thought about the note, but we have had to deal with this for years from this business & arriving home to a blocked driveway (again) was the last straw. These business owners do not act responsibly when it comes to parking for their employees either. We have talked to them on numerous occasions. They got a variance for not having the required parking.
We were also the only B&B that had adequate off-street parking for our guests as required under the city ordinances. We took it seriously to be a good neighbor. I wonder why the others did not have to provide the necessary parking? (Not really, I know why.) Any guesses?

2 that really got me- 'flatlanders' (term of derision for people who move from 'flat' states to VT) who moved into town where there is a dairy farm next to the elementary school. One, fine spring day they chanced to be at the school when the wind changed. Next thing it's all over the news they want the dairy farm shut down because it 'smells' in the classroom. Really? And how can you be sure it's the farm and not the kids from all the surrounding farms?
The other was a housing development that was built near a large dairy farm. They loved the bucolic setting with the cows, pastures and lake in the background. Until the farm owner wanted to expand his business. A third generation farm, with all of the 'farmers' being graduates of the local 'land grant' college, endowers of same college and not total idjits in how to run a farm sustainably. After all, they had to live there, too. No, the neighbors protested loud and long that the farm (that had been there over 100 years before these people were born) should not be allowed to 'ruin' their lifestyle. They wanted to look, but not see or smell or be subjected to life on a farm in any way.
Unless you are lied to and told, 'No, nothing will ever be built on that land,' you should really take a look around you before you buy and decide if you want to live there.
(Altho, guests this morning said there is a lovely seaside town in England where the houses on one side of the street had gorgeous views of the water with just the roadway and a small strip of land between them and the Channel, until a supermarket bought the strip of land and put up a warehouse that blocked the 100's of years old view of the sea.)
There was a shooting range that had been in htis old quarry pit for years and years. Then a housing development went up in the next town over. Rumor had it that the homeowners fired into their houses to provide the "bullet holes from the range". I was at that range many times and if a bullet got out of there, I would like to know how. They closed the range.
Then there are the people who build a development (and people buy those lots and build houses) next to a major airport and then complain about the noise of the jets. I understand the ones who lived there when it was "out in the country" and the puddle jumper became a major airport but not the ones who moved there AFTER the airport expanded.
The third kind are the people who move out of the city to the lovely countryside and then demand to still have their FiveBucks on the way to the station, the imported food store, etc until they have turned a lovely area into what they left - and THEN complain about how it has changed.

Back