Why Smart People Use Twitter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
"[COLOR= rgb(54, 54, 54)]Facebook, is the Wal-Mart of social media."[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(54, 54, 54)]Why Smart People Use Twitter[/COLOR][/h1]
JB - This is perhaps the most poignant thing I have read in a long long time! Down to the Garfield car.

Facebook IS the Walmart of social media, but then Twitter is just the Target. Not really that different, just a slightly different market that buys into the notion that one is "better" than the other.

Totally different. People don't pour out their guts to the world on twitter. If they do no one would follow them.
FB is like an AA meeting, imo. Totally different to twitter, TOTALLY.
FB is where all the whiney dribbly babies go for a group hug. (Yes, worse than this forum! tee hee hee)
I better go before I am nailed to my monitor by an advancing FB army...bye!
PS Don't forget that Myspace is the K-mart.
shades_smile.gif

Totally different. People don't pour out their guts to the world on twitter. If they do no one would follow them.
FB is where all the whiney dribbly babies go for a group hug. (Yes, worse than this forum! tee hee hee)
shades_smile.gif
I guess it just baffles me that anyone would follow anyone on Twitter. I just don't understand it, seems like a huge waste of time, what INFORMATION is being shared that is of any value? I get what the author is saying about needing to be "smarter" because you have less space to say something, but less of nothing is still nothing!
And as a future charter member of "Hermits of America" I hate 'em all!!!!!

Here's a link for Twitter Dummies like me (I have no clue how it works, and after reading this have no desire to learn, but it was an easy and concise read).

shades_smile.gif
I guess it just baffles me that anyone would follow anyone on Twitter. I just don't understand it, seems like a huge waste of time, what INFORMATION is being shared that is of any value? I get what the author is saying about needing to be "smarter" because you have less space to say something, but less of nothing is still nothing!
Don Draper said:
So you don't understand it.
I am telling you I FOLLOW TWITTER. I LEARN A LOT FROM IT. I get the most useful info from TWITTER. I DO. Why are you saying it has no value? You mean YOU FIND it has no value, I find it DOES HAVE VALUE and it is the most useful social media out there.
FB to each his own, people use it for various reasons, most of us use it because we were told to "Engage" people. Please post political crap on FB and see how engaging you can be ot your customers. LOL

I think both are good. But both have backwaters of yuck. The best part is you get to choose where you swim.

shades_smile.gif
I find Twitter distracting. I tried it out awhile ago and my brain doesn't work that fast. If I see 15 tweets from the same person in 2 minutes, I block them.
However, what I am finding is that it is a lot easier to get people to follow my 'message' on Twitter than on FB. And a lot more 'PR' people are following, which means I get more traction on whatever I put out there. Short example- I just tweeted about a local event. 2 minutes later it was on a reporter's Twitter feed. Which means more people are seeing it than if it was just on FB.
And I certainly can't pay for the kind of publicity it gets when a reporter feeds it.
It has its uses. But for me to spend a lot of time 'following'? Can't do it. Which means I am breaking the social contract.

shades_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
I am telling you I FOLLOW TWITTER. I LEARN A LOT FROM IT. I get the most useful info from TWITTER. I DO. Why are you saying it has no value? You mean YOU FIND it has no value, I find it DOES HAVE VALUE and it is the most useful social media out there.
FB to each his own, people use it for various reasons, most of us use it because we were told to "Engage" people. Please post political crap on FB and see how engaging you can be ot your customers. LOL
Joey Bloggs said:
You mean YOU FIND it has no value
Yep, that is all I said. And I absolutely DO NOT understand it (Twitter), I tried but to me it was mega confusing. I don't like FB either, I don't think it has any value at all. But I use it because at least I can figure it out. My point to the original article is that I really don't think there's anything "smarter" about Twitter vs. FB, just like I don' think there's much "smarter" about Wally World versus Target.

OK, now I've read the article and I have this to say about that- nonsense! Yes, you have to be able to cram your thoughts into 140 characters; no, that does not make anyone a genius. Or even smart(er). A very easy way to prove that is to just go to the Twitter home page and read what passes for 'top tweets'.
And I have a fair number of tweeters in my feed who have a lot of time on their hands.
The thing is, it is an important venue. That can't be denied. A lot of people used it in the recent uprisings. But a lot of other people use it for nonsense. Are there people tweeting who drive orange Garfield cars? You betcha. And if you're really special you can hire people (tweeple) to tweet for you. Do I sometimes see things on there that are interesting? Yes. Am I likely to click the link to go read it more in depth? Not often.
It's worthwhile to some people and totally under the radar for a lot of other people. I tweet because I run a business. Not too likely I will after I sell.
If businesses I know are tweeting while I'm on, I will retweet fun stuff they mention. Has anyne ever said, 'I want to make a reservation because I saw your tweet'? Nope.

The trouble is again doing something interesting ie no one wants to hear a tweet of oh I ate a bagle! big whoop!

shades_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
I know you love it, but I'm confused, what have you learned on Twitter that has not been posted elsewhere online or in the news? Why is it more valuable? How does this help your business? How much time a day do you spend Tweeting?
Seriously, looking for some answers here, pls don't just tell me I don't get it, because I KNOW that.

why smart people use Twitter.
I don't use Twitter. Does that make me stupid?

shades_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
I know you love it, but I'm confused, what have you learned on Twitter that has not been posted elsewhere online or in the news? Why is it more valuable? How does this help your business? How much time a day do you spend Tweeting?
Seriously, looking for some answers here, pls don't just tell me I don't get it, because I KNOW that.
white pine said:
In some cases, you can get pertinent info for your biz by watching what biz bloggers are posting. An example is a contest being run by another B&B here that I wouldn't have known about because I wouldn't go to their site. It popped up in my feed. Now I'm curious if it's going to work out for them.
Another way I can use it is for local businesses who are offering sales. They don't send me an email about this and it's tough to find everything all in one place and I'm not going to sign up to get all the dang emails anyway.
Every once in awhile I resolve to look at it once/day and then I get distracted.

My confusion is that Facebook is exactly the same. If you use your business page to and like other people's business page, you get their specials etc. I am totally clueless as to the difference. I use both and I see them as very close to interchangable.

shades_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
white pine said:
In some cases, you can get pertinent info for your biz by watching what biz bloggers are posting. An example is a contest being run by another B&B here that I wouldn't have known about because I wouldn't go to their site. It popped up in my feed. Now I'm curious if it's going to work out for them.
Another way I can use it is for local businesses who are offering sales. They don't send me an email about this and it's tough to find everything all in one place and I'm not going to sign up to get all the dang emails anyway.
Every once in awhile I resolve to look at it once/day and then I get distracted.
Alibi Ike said:
In some cases, you can get pertinent info for your biz by watching what biz bloggers are posting. An example is a contest being run by another B&B here that I wouldn't have known about because I wouldn't go to their site. It popped up in my feed.
You can use one of the many tools to manage the most important tweets - Tweetdeck is popular. You can also set up Twitter alerts (like Google alerts) to separate the wheat from the chaff.
A good one to follow is TweetInn - it is an account that Bnbfinder uses to send out requests for information that they have gotten media requests for. Responding to those quickly may get you some free publicity.
I have twitter up (usually via Tweetdeck) sporadically, and I have facebook up all day. I have gotten (and given) good information via both media. The smart innkeepers use both effectively (not saying I'm one of them, though).

shades_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
white pine said:
Alibi Ike said:
In some cases, you can get pertinent info for your biz by watching what biz bloggers are posting. An example is a contest being run by another B&B here that I wouldn't have known about because I wouldn't go to their site. It popped up in my feed.
You can use one of the many tools to manage the most important tweets - Tweetdeck is popular. You can also set up Twitter alerts (like Google alerts) to separate the wheat from the chaff.
A good one to follow is TweetInn - it is an account that Bnbfinder uses to send out requests for information that they have gotten media requests for. Responding to those quickly may get you some free publicity.
I have twitter up (usually via Tweetdeck) sporadically, and I have facebook up all day. I have gotten (and given) good information via both media. The smart innkeepers use both effectively (not saying I'm one of them, though).
Thank you. It helps to understand the applications to business.

shades_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
white pine said:
Alibi Ike said:
muirford said:
Thank you, this is what I need. Still don't really understand how to find who would be really pertinent for me to follow, but once I get there this might help sort it out.

I have my FB messages tweeted, so I have to keep them both short and to the point. I post newspaper articles, happenings and the like about Montreal. Links to blogs that talk about the city or talk about us. Things that someone who is thinking about coming to visit us, or has visited us but wants to come back knows what's coming up, places to reserve to eat and of course special attractions. With FB I post the link and then remove it, so that the link remains but isn't part of the text.
Still, need more followers :)

Back