Why they picked you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
If you are in an area with a LOT of choices for lodging, besides asking WHERE the guest found you, do you ask WHY they picked you?
I'm not sure how that question could be phrased to not 'scare off' potential guests by making them think you're stunned anyone would pick you! But, it's something I wonder about. I've had a few guests say how many B&B's there are here, but they liked XYZ about my place so that's why they're calling. But, it would be better to know WHY for the other guests as well. I know some of it would wound (Oh, everyone else is full.) but it still might be good to know, in that case, why I was at the bottom of the list instead of the top.
I'm pretty sure every B&B hears the exact same things, tho, so maybe it doesn't make a difference. We all hear they liked the website, they liked a particular room, they liked a photo or something that struck a nerve with them.

oh we are always trying to think of a way we could word it so, like you said, it won't be interpreted in a way you don't mean it to be. We always ask how they heard about us (google, referral, etc) and even then sometimes that answer is more generic than we like. (oh, i was just searching the internet and...)
But, yeah, to those guests who say, "i've looked at all the B&B's in your area & you are my first choice" you just want to say, "Really!? Why!? Why did you choose us over the really nice place down the road?" It makes you feel good to hear that, assuming they are being truthful.
Maybe we all are too modest or doubt ourselves & don't think we are as good as we really are? I've thought, at times, well the other places must be booked for XYZ dates, so i look @ their calendars & find that they are not boooked. then i feel good that they really did pick me over someone else.
anyway...we have not thought of an appropriate way either.

I actually just went through this with 3 rooms that were here for a conference for 3 days this week. I referred them originally to one of the other inns because we didn't have enough rooms to accommodate their group, then some folks decided not to come and they ended up with me.
I asked them a breakfast when they were saying something nice about our place. Casually, "Oh, btw...how did you end up back here with us?"
The answer: Customer Service. She appreciated that we were trying to do the right thing by their group even if it meant referring business elsewhere.
The other answer: The other place was rude and told them that they couldn't help them? Whaaaaaaaaaat?? These were the easiest guests, really single biz travelers so they got our corporate rate. They loved it here and are the 2 men that were dubious are converted to staying at B&Bs! I've told them about my inn-mates here on the forum.
I think we can make the difference by going the extra mile...but that is just my 2 cents
regular_smile.gif

Bree said:
If you are in an area with a LOT of choices for lodging, besides asking WHERE the guest found you, do you ask WHY they picked you?
I'm not sure how that question could be phrased to not 'scare off' potential guests by making them think you're stunned anyone would pick you!
I agree, it could come across as an odd question. If you're in conversation with the guest, how about "Was there anything in particular that made you choose our place?"
If you're looking for wording to use on a booking or registration form or satisfaction survey (anyone do those??), how about "What led you to choose our place?" or "What was it about our inn that made you decide to stay here?" Using 'what' instead of 'why' seems to suggest you know there must be a reason.
I don't ask. Sometimes (fairly often) the guests bring it up. Like you said, the usual reasons are given. I'm surprised how many people cite the fact that we have a dog as a reason. Not that they're bringing a dog, but that they want to visit one. (of course there are plenty that don't choose us for the same reason, it just seems a strange reason to choose a place.)

Good one. It's that sort of 'slice of life' that a lot of people are looking for in a B&B. And to know you have the details at your fingertips does you a world of good in getting the bookings.

Yes one reason people book might be the same another does not book.
I did have a photo of our dog on the blog/website then took it down after one lady brought albumS of photos of her dog to share since we have a dog. Diff breed, absolutely nothing in common. It was bording on dog-stalking. She said "You will think I am the kooky dog lady after this!" Very nice, but not sure why me? I mean, I put it on there so those who hate dogs or are fearful will know in advance she is a family member here at this B&B. UGH

I ask sometimes, or it just comes out in conversation. Why not? I'm already asking them about how they found us and which room they want and whether they have allergies and what their husband's name is and what time they're going to arrive and why are they visiting... sometimes it flows naturally to why they picked us, sometimes I nudge the conversation that way, sometimes I forget to be curious about it and they tell me anyway.
Because the [decent chain hotel] is full
Because we have better reviews than [hotel which is in decline]
Because we take kids
Because we are walking distance to AU or ATS
Because we answered the phone
Because we (I) made them laugh
Because my husband roasts and grinds and fusses with the coffee
Because we have TV's
Because we don't cost that much more than [decent chain hotel]
Because we have secure (keyless) locks on bedroom doors (she thought she could be stalked)
Because we have rooms with mutliple beds
Because we have wi-fi
Because their friend/colleague/acquaintance recommended us (the last one didn't know their acquaintance's name, but she knew ours!)
And sometimes even why they pick which room...
=)
Kk.

Here are the reasons our guests tell us they choose us:
  • we deliver breakfast to their door
  • They are on their honeymoon, anniversary or birthday and want a romantic private getaway
  • they want privacy and pampering
  • double jacuzzi tubs and fireplaces
  • we're close to the ocean without being in a beach town
  • they need to get away from kids and we don't take them
  • we have tv/dvd/video library

YES! I want to know and along the same lines as the thread about marketing to whomever books the most - vs female vs male. I promote this porch. Why? Because it is huge, it is southern and right now has 15 ferns hanging across the front of it. That is something "regional" I try to market. We are not in the mountains on 100 acres, but we are in the mountains. This is a hard concept for people to grasp - so they call "Is there anywhere to eat?"
I want people to know exactly what we have on offer so they are happy when they get here.
Guests have told me horror stories - like the B&B was old and gorgeous stuck smack dab in the middle of a new subdivision with kids banging basketballs all day!

A guest this morning told me that the thing that caught her eye on my website was the solo retreat package we offer. She didn't book the package and she's not here solo--they're three women friends on a little getaway--but she liked the fact that we offer them. You never know what does it for someone.

A guest this morning told me that the thing that caught her eye on my website was the solo retreat package we offer. She didn't book the package and she's not here solo--they're three women friends on a little getaway--but she liked the fact that we offer them. You never know what does it for someone..
happyjacks said:
A guest this morning told me that the thing that caught her eye on my website was the solo retreat package we offer. She didn't book the package and she's not here solo--they're three women friends on a little getaway--but she liked the fact that we offer them. You never know what does it for someone.
edited to say - I found the info, thanks.
regular_smile.gif

Back