Why they should book a B & B!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple from MN contacted me in my capacity of Exec Dir of Rails-to-Trails Council asking about the 71 mile west/east rail-trail asking about shuttle service, She told me they were planning to spend 2 nights on the trail and needed a shuttle back to their car at the west end of the trail. When she told mne where they planned to stay, I asked if they were familiar with this trail - the first night was planned about 30 miles in but the second night was only another 13 miles. With all my volunteer stuff I try to keep my business separate as I do not want anyone to accuse me of using the position to promote my inn.
Ended up I told them we would shuttle (for a fee of course - and they got a total bargain) and they booked in with us. I was going to pick them up at the east end of the trail when they called. It is about 15 miles from here. I am expecting a call about 1 or 2 at the earliest. 11 AM the phone rings - she had a fall can I pick them up and he gives his location - fortunately they had moved from the trail to the highway but now it is more like 30 miles to get them.
I finished cleaning the room and went to get them. She says she could not remember the first 10 minutes or so after the fall. The hospital is right on the way to my house and I took them to ER and waited for them. Had they not been booked at the B & B... He said he did not know what they would have done if they had been staying at a hotel.
We are taking them to Jimmy's now for dinner. It IS Thursday! Oh, she is OK, when she got in the car she was thanking me because she felt better knowing all was OK. SHE was uncomfortable about NOT going to ER (but would not say so) - I insisted because I did not want any problems at MY place!
Edited in the name of discression.

Another reason why B&B's are better. No telling how long they would have waited if it had not been for you (pat yourself on the back for me) and may have had to call 911 for any assistance.
Hope all is well with her. I know she will hurt more tomorrow, at least she will not be dealing with a bad bed as well!
teeth_smile.gif

To play devil's advocate here, I sure hope all of that was made worth your while? After all, it is a business you run. If they called you they could have called 9-1-1 for an even quicker picker upper service if it were serious.
I will be honest. I would not have done what you did. I know we are more than employees or owners in this profession. The buzz you get from helping someone is also the downer you feel afterward when it zaps you of all your energy (for me I have a limited supply, so need to maintain a steady pace).
tounge_smile.gif

A few years ago I had a guest who if I had not insisted to his wife that she either take him to the hospital or we call 911, he would be dead right now. I'll spare you the details, but if this couple had been staying at a hotel, she would have let him sleep and he would have slept forever. I never want to go through that again, but I'm thankful they were staying here instead of an impersonal hotel!

They loved Jimmy's! Her daughter has a B & B (do not remember where) that is a boat tied up on the river and she lives on the boat. It does not leave the dock but is a boat. Found it http://www.covingtoninn.com/index2.htm
Very nice people.
Edited for discression

Back