Why they'll hire you

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Innspiration
Why they’ll hire you[/h2]
Whether it’s a job or a sale, they don’t hire you because of your resume or what you have done. They hire you because they like you.
Developing a likable personality and projecting it, may be the most important career strategy you can have.

I find this interesting as I was looking at a B&B the other day who had this massive owner's bio, and it came across so arrogant it was off putting.
I thought, Why would anyone want to stay there? You almost felt like you would be ignored before you even arrived, that you would sit at breakfast and hear their accolades. It was all about the hosts, and nothing about the inn or YOU the welcomed guest, the inn was just a support for their ego. It was very strange.
So back to being the guest...would I spend my hard earned money there, and give it to them? No, never. Not knowingly.
I do not think I am the only one with this concept and way of living.

I find this interesting as I was looking at a B&B the other day who had this massive owner's bio, and it came across so arrogant it was off putting.
I thought, Why would anyone want to stay there? You almost felt like you would be ignored before you even arrived, that you would sit at breakfast and hear their accolades. It was all about the hosts, and nothing about the inn or YOU the welcomed guest, the inn was just a support for their ego. It was very strange.
So back to being the guest...would I spend my hard earned money there, and give it to them? No, never. Not knowingly.
I do not think I am the only one with this concept and way of living..
So, how much of a bio would you have? Any? You know I have a photo and guests can find out a lot from the blog, but would more or fewer guests come to stay if I also listed where we worked or went to school? Do you think there would be some sense of 'community' to list my college?
I've been batting this around for awhile. Guests have no idea what our history is when they get here. Does that add something to the mystique and if they knew all they wouldn't come?
Of course it would be fun the way I would do it, not like I was applying for a job at NASA or something.
But what does everyone think? Put more info about us or is a photo enough?

I do not think I am the only one with this concept and way of living..
So, how much of a bio would you have? Any? You know I have a photo and guests can find out a lot from the blog, but would more or fewer guests come to stay if I also listed where we worked or went to school? Do you think there would be some sense of 'community' to list my college?
I've been batting this around for awhile. Guests have no idea what our history is when they get here. Does that add something to the mystique and if they knew all they wouldn't come?
Of course it would be fun the way I would do it, not like I was applying for a job at NASA or something.
But what does everyone think? Put more info about us or is a photo enough?
We put in a photo and a very general and short bio. THe bio is two short paragraphs which only outline our hospitality backgrounds and are only 66 words long. The other two paragraphs outline our inn's goal of superior service to guests.
I put in just enough for the guest to see that we have experience which will give us the expertise to ensure they have a great stay.
I think that is positive to the reader - at least I hope it is. And enough information to let them know who will be opening the door if they have not stayed at a B&B before.
I think this is also a place to let them know the B&B is not a stuffy place, but a fun one.
RIki

Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
Perhaps 2011 can be the Year of Fun Innkeeping.
Perhaps we can take things in our stride and try to enjoy our guests, vs battle of the bad ones and get frustrated. Perhaps this will show in all that we do, in our outlook, our innsights and play out in a happy year.
(Boy I really sidetracked on that one! But it is just a thought.) Does anyone really want to stay at an inn with uptight hosts? Does anyone really want to be treated as a room number?
I see our lives in this business as it goes through phases. Phase one eager to please and make everyone happy (which can often make US unhappy, which then transfers back to the guests, we don't think it does, but of course it does, it is like a virus on a microbial level. If we had a magic light we could see traces of it everywhere!
I am not saying drop boundaries and policies, on the contrary stick to them and everyone will be happier. With kids you know that having an open ended bedtime only makes for a grumpy miserable existence, it is the same with the inn and policies. Keep them in place and abide by them and you know where you stand and the guests know where they stand, there is never a question, there is never a mood involved. They just are.
So how about it? How about enjoying the guests this coming year? More, I mean, enjoying what you do, and "Developing a likable personality and projecting it, may be the most important career strategy you can have."

Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
Perhaps we can take things in our stride and try to enjoy our guests, vs battle of the bad ones and get frustrated. Perhaps this will show in all that we do, in our outlook, our innsights and play out in a happy year.
(Boy I really sidetracked on that one! But it is just a thought.) Does anyone really want to stay at an inn with uptight hosts? Does anyone really want to be treated as a room number?
I see our lives in this business as it goes through phases. Phase one eager to please and make everyone happy (which can often make US unhappy, which then transfers back to the guests, we don't think it does, but of course it does, it is like a virus on a microbial level. If we had a magic light we could see traces of it everywhere!
I am not saying drop boundaries and policies, on the contrary stick to them and everyone will be happier. With kids you know that having an open ended bedtime only makes for a grumpy miserable existence, it is the same with the inn and policies. Keep them in place and abide by them and you know where you stand and the guests know where they stand, there is never a question, there is never a mood involved. They just are.
So how about it? How about enjoying the guests this coming year? More, I mean, enjoying what you do, and "Developing a likable personality and projecting it, may be the most important career strategy you can have.".
Joey Bloggs said:
Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
Interesting - that's the theory of the keynote speaker at the PAII conference, Mike Veeck. "In his book, Fun Is Good, maverick marketer Mike Veeck presents his simple, no-fail formula for business success: Make work fun and you’ll create a culture of creativity where the best people will want to work and customer will want spend their money."

Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
So how about it? How about enjoying the guests this coming year? More, I mean, enjoying what you do, and "Developing a likable personality and projecting it, may be the most important career strategy you can have.".
Joey Bloggs said:
Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
Interesting - that's the theory of the keynote speaker at the PAII conference, Mike Veeck. "In his book, Fun Is Good, maverick marketer Mike Veeck presents his simple, no-fail formula for business success: Make work fun and you’ll create a culture of creativity where the best people will want to work and customer will want spend their money."
Fun! I looked at the schedule - I can't really tell when exactly he will be speaking?! I am hoping it is at the beginning so he can put everyone in a good mood!

We are the Innkeepers here at this Inn but the owner likes to put "how the Inn was acquired" and where the owner is from-blah blah blah-but NOT mention anything about the Innkeepers-we had to kind of beg to have our names -on the website cause owner didn't want us mentioned since we where not the "owners" of the Inn- and the owner is definantely going to put that on the brochure that we havent had any of since August.
I don't know if this is arrogant, but I suffice to say that as a guest I would want to know just a little more of the Innkeepers than all about the "owners" not to say that the owners should not be mentioned, and we always tell our guests that we are "the keepers of the Inn" not the "owner of the Inn".

We are the Innkeepers here at this Inn but the owner likes to put "how the Inn was acquired" and where the owner is from-blah blah blah-but NOT mention anything about the Innkeepers-we had to kind of beg to have our names -on the website cause owner didn't want us mentioned since we where not the "owners" of the Inn- and the owner is definantely going to put that on the brochure that we havent had any of since August.
I don't know if this is arrogant, but I suffice to say that as a guest I would want to know just a little more of the Innkeepers than all about the "owners" not to say that the owners should not be mentioned, and we always tell our guests that we are "the keepers of the Inn" not the "owner of the Inn"..
birdwatcher said:
I suffice to say that as a guest I would want to know just a little more of the Innkeepers than all about the "owners" not to say that the owners should not be mentioned, and we always tell our guests that we are "the keepers of the Inn" not the "owner of the Inn".
As a guest, I want to know who I will encounter while I'm there...furthermore, I want to know if those I will encounter are the owners, or paid 'keepers.

I don't know if this is arrogant, but I suffice to say that as a guest I would want to know just a little more of the Innkeepers than all about the "owners" not to say that the owners should not be mentioned, and we always tell our guests that we are "the keepers of the Inn" not the "owner of the Inn"..
birdwatcher said:
I don't know if this is arrogant, but I suffice to say that as a guest I would want to know just a little more of the Innkeepers than all about the "owners" not to say that the owners should not be mentioned, and we always tell our guests that we are "the keepers of the Inn" not the "owner of the Inn".
You will now spend inordinate amounts of your time explaining a situation that could be avoided by a word or two on the website about the innkeepers. I know I stayed at one place that had all this info about the owners, who silly me, I thought I might meet. It took forever for me to understand that the people on the website only showed up when they felt like it to meet 'important' people. But they certainly didn't dirty their hands.
I wouldn't expect to be on the brochures but it hurts her not a whit to put a little blurb about you as her 'onsite representatives'. Except that sounds too much to her like you have some sort of power she doesn't want to grant.
sad_smile.gif

Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
I LIKE IT! Last year was the "Year of Simple Innkeeping", I think? Great idea....we all need more fun in our life and when you try to experience more FUN, it shows. :)

The other B&Bs here that had staff and really were not around and didn't (and don't) have much with the day-to-day operation of their inns or contact with the guests, NEVER mentioned the staff and definitely not by name. Sorry.....your owner is not the only one out there like this. :-(

Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
Joey Bloggs said:
Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
Fun! I looked at the schedule - I can't really tell when exactly he will be speaking?! I am hoping it is at the beginning so he can put everyone in a good mood!
suellen222 said:
Keynote means he will be one of the general sessions and probably the leadoff speaker. There is a general session on the morning of the last day as well. One or the other - not during the workshop sessions.

Well I guess that everyone is different. We are the keepers of the Inn and we make sure that every guest knows that we represent the Inn and tell them about the owner.

Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
Joey Bloggs said:
Yeah! Go fun innkeepers!
His Father, Bill Veeck, was the ultimate FUN! He put the ivy in Wriggly Field, hired a midget on his ball team to highlight "OK, where is the strike zone" to the Umps, had Disco at Sox Park, and almost always sat in the bleachers! He had 9 kids and was always operating his baseball teams on a shoestring - but if Veeck was involved, it was going to be anything but stuffy. Mike Veeck learned from the consumate fun person.

Back